Guest House set in pilot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Guest House set in pilot

#31 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s the picture from the boathouse room used at the time of the sale. It’s distorted in the image but the room is approximately 10 x 14 feet. Notice the door swings the opposite way. Hmmmm?

https://ibb.co/Z2zs67V

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote:Here’s a screenshot of the guest house wall with the missing kitchen from the pilot that started this whole thread:

https://ibb.co/z7BKWFq

Magnum is standing to the left of the fridge looking at Higgins on the stairs.

Really odd Panohu, in this later scene, in the same episode, the kitchen seems to be (at least partly) there...

https://ibb.co/5c7N67D

The set might have been completed, from scene to scene, during the same episode !
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu

#33 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Here’s a screenshot of the guest house wall with the missing kitchen from the pilot that started this whole thread:

Really odd Panohu, in this later scene, in the same episode, the kitchen seems to be (at least partly) there...

The set might have been completed, from scene to scene, during the same episode !
Hey GM,

The part of the kitchen in your photo is also in the photo I posted but from a different angle. In the one I posted, the cabinet with the fridge in it is visible on the right. You can even see the same object on top of the fridge cabinet in both photos. Magnum is standing in front of the lower cabinet with the picture hung above it. He’s making drinks, looking toward the stairs where Higgins is (the camera in that shot). What’s missing in my photo is the rest of the kitchen with the stove and sink in the alcove. It would be to the left, just out of frame, of the photo you posted.

Here’s an image of the set showing the area to the left that I’m talking about. It’s behind the brown doors. The image of the set floor plan shows it clearly.

https://ibb.co/ByxhcPW
https://ibb.co/2j8sDR9

By the way, in my photo Magnum was standing about where the guy is in the photo.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by only looking »

Not that it will happen but I wish the new owners of the place would actually reconstruct The Boathouse to actually accommodate the actual set that we saw every day and actually make it work kind of like what they did with the Brady Bunch house.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote:
Gorilla Mask wrote:

Hey GM,

The part of the kitchen in your photo is also in the photo I posted but from a different angle. In the one I posted, the cabinet with the fridge in it is visible on the right. You can even see the same object on top of the fridge cabinet in both photos. Magnum is standing in front of the lower cabinet with the picture hung above it. He’s making drinks, looking toward the stairs where Higgins is (the camera in that shot). What’s missing in my photo is the rest of the kitchen with the stove and sink in the alcove. It would be to the left, just out of frame, of the photo you posted.

Here’s an image of the set showing the area to the left that I’m talking about. It’s behind the brown doors. The image of the set floor plan shows it clearly.

https://ibb.co/ByxhcPW
https://ibb.co/2j8sDR9

By the way, in my photo Magnum was standing about where the guy is in the photo.
You're right Panohu, i was somewhat abused by the angle of view and the focal length... :|
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu

#36 Post by Pahonu »

only looking wrote:Not that it will happen but I wish the new owners of the place would actually reconstruct The Boathouse to actually accommodate the actual set that we saw every day and actually make it work kind of like what they did with the Brady Bunch house.
I saw the Brady Bunch house remodel show. It was interesting but they had to add on to the house... a lot! The same would be true here. Also, they were able to keep the front facade the same in the that remodel. That wouldn’t be true of the boat house. Unfortunately, the exterior of the boat house would become almost unrecognizable except possibly for the lanai.

The MAJOR problem is that the interior of the set’s two-story space (living room, kitchen, dining) is about 3-times the size of the actual room and bathroom in the boat house. That would mean adding a massive addition to the otherwise small structure. The outside would change completely except again for the lanai. The facade facing the beach would have to be altered by removing the large doors and adding larger windows for the bedroom. The opposite side would see the massive addition. The side with the stairs up to the lanai would be changed and have no windows at all, just a giant blank wall. A chimney would have to be added. Even the side we never see on the show would have to be altered. Again, the exterior would be all but unrecognizable.

Sorry to ruin the dream but it won’t work in this case even with the will and means to do it. To create the interior accurately is possible it just won’t look like the boat house outside anymore. You can have one or the other. Over the years many fans have expressed the same idea. I created floor plans of the set back when the show was still on the air and of the actual boathouse over a decade ago. They aren’t even close. Just about the only thing the set got right was the lanai, front door location, and that it’s 2-stories. That’s it.

I joked some years ago that I should make a SketchUp model of the set like I have of the actual estate. It’s a lot of work though. Then people could see what I mean about the differences. Inside would be perfect but the outside...

The Brady Bunch house remodel seemed to give a new hope to people. You can still have the dream though! :magnum:

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by only looking »

Pahonu wrote:
only looking wrote:Not that it will happen but I wish the new owners of the place would actually reconstruct The Boathouse to actually accommodate the actual set that we saw every day and actually make it work kind of like what they did with the Brady Bunch house.
I saw the Brady Bunch house remodel show. It was interesting but they had to add on to the house... a lot! The same would be true here. Also, they were able to keep the front facade the same in the that remodel. That wouldn’t be true of the boat house. Unfortunately, the exterior of the boat house would become almost unrecognizable except possibly for the lanai.

The MAJOR problem is that the interior of the set’s two-story space (living room, kitchen, dining) is about 3-times the size of the actual room and bathroom in the boat house. That would mean adding a massive addition to the otherwise small structure. The outside would change completely except again for the lanai. The facade facing the beach would have to be altered by removing the large doors and adding larger windows for the bedroom. The opposite side would see the massive addition. The side with the stairs up to the lanai would be changed and have no windows at all, just a giant blank wall. A chimney would have to be added. Even the side we never see on the show would have to be altered. Again, the exterior would be all but unrecognizable.

Sorry to ruin the dream but it won’t work in this case even with the will and means to do it. To create the interior accurately is possible it just won’t look like the boat house outside anymore. You can have one or the other. Over the years many fans have expressed the same idea. I created floor plans of the set back when the show was still on the air and of the actual boathouse over a decade ago. They aren’t even close. Just about the only thing the set got right was the lanai, front door location, and that it’s 2-stories. That’s it.

I joked some years ago that I should make a SketchUp model of the set like I have of the actual estate. It’s a lot of work though. Then people could see what I mean about the differences. Inside would be perfect but the outside...

The Brady Bunch house remodel seemed to give a new hope to people. You can still have the dream though! :magnum:
Totally understand and definitely the magic of Television isn't it LOL. I think you're right the only thing you could have would be the entrance and the doors I think the rest of the house or the building rather would had the same exterior colors and style but it definitely wouldn't have the shape as What was seen in the series the only other thing I could see as far as alteration is the fireplace you can just have a electric one or gas so that would eliminate the chimney but that's a small small adjustment LOL I appreciate the information and it would be interesting to have a comparison of what about house would actually look like if it really could work for Magnums guest house I remember even as a kid I was like there's a window there but on the other side there isn't LOL
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

only looking wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Totally understand and definitely the magic of Television isn't it LOL. I think you're right the only thing you could have would be the entrance and the doors I think the rest of the house or the building rather would had the same exterior colors and style but it definitely wouldn't have the shape as What was seen in the series the only other thing I could see as far as alteration is the fireplace you can just have a electric one or gas so that would eliminate the chimney but that's a small small adjustment LOL I appreciate the information and it would be interesting to have a comparison of what about house would actually look like if it really could work for Magnums guest house I remember even as a kid I was like there's a window there but on the other side there isn't LOL
You’re last sentence was true for me as a kid too! I watched it in its original run and quickly realized the same thing. I could possibly do a quick massing of the exterior to show the general shape if the set was inside. Just put holes for the windows and doors. The real time is in creating the interior and exterior detailing. Maybe I’ll do that sometime soon but I know fans will want to see the interior then.

By the way, and electric fireplace would work, of course. A gas fireplace would still need a flue and it’s not on an exterior wall so would still have to go through the roof. Technically, the lanai is exterior and it could physically vent that way, but it’s illegal because the lanai is covered. Plus it would be dangerous!