Guest House set in pilot

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Guest House set in pilot

#16 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
It is sad to think that Pahonu is gone given its beautiful design and high quality construction, but it was a design (internally) for another time, and even well built structures need maintenance. Pahonu was neglected for too long and ultimately it’s land became the real value of the property over the buildings themselves.

Those Zorro scenes were filmed on the soundstages at Disney Studios in Burbank, not far from where I grew up. Coincidentally, I briefly met Tom Selleck there back in the mid-90’s. I was there for a meeting that happened to be in an office next to the one he had there at the time.
I have to (again) warmly thanks you for taking time to bring these links. From a cultural point of view, i am learning a lot. That is exactly the style (Altogether with Art deco, i have to admit) i am fond of ! That was one of the reason why i first review all the MPI show six years ago.

I said to my wife, while staring at "Robin's Nest', : " that is the place i would have wanted to live !"

Here in Dordogne, we have just bought a very nice and quite large countryside house in "Périgourdine" style. I like it much too, but ol' Pahonu will stay as the "state of art".

The main House was only 80 years old when it was torn down (that is not very very old here, in France): did the inner structure suffered damage beyond repair or was it the new owner's choice ?
No need for the thanks. :D I’m glad you enjoy it.

I’m a life-long student of architectural history and a high school teacher by profession. It’s what I love. I’ve even managed to combine the two as I currently teach in an academy the focuses on careers in architecture and engineering. I feel very lucky to be able to do so.

Congratulations on your new home! I was unfamiliar with the term for that style of home. I did a little research on it. Here in the US there was a brief period after WWI when a style of architecture we call French Eclectic was popular, at least on the east coast. It had lots of different influences from France, hence the “eclectic”, but it was largely based on rural types with the high-pitched hipped roofs such as yours. I find it a beautiful style with much in common with Spanish Colonial Revival. That may sound odd to you, but I find they both share a somewhat rustic manner, using traditional materials hand-crafted in a very traditional way. I’m quite drawn to these elements.

They are very different than Art Deco! I find that style of furnishings and architecture quite beautiful and spare, but it has always seemed less suited for domestic architecture to me. In fact, Art Deco homes are quite rare in the US. Apartments and hotels are more common, with streamline moderne being more common than the geometric, zigzag shapes typical of Art Deco.

Depending on where you are in the US, 80 years old may or may not be that old. No comparison to Europe, of course. In Boston, people live in homes 200+ years old, some approaching 300, and amazingly, many are wood! California wasn’t even settled by Europeans 300 years ago and Hawaii was unknown to them, so 80 years old is quite a long time, relatively speaking.

Pahonu’s early demise was largely from more recent neglect, perhaps the last 10-15 years. I’m pretty confident the wall and floor structures were still sound based on the construction method. Some of the foundation and floors are still there, but all the exterior woodwork was rotting. The homes roof leaked for years as evidenced by tarps over many parts of the house seen in past photos. Shortly before it was sold the roof was replaced, but interior water damage would have destroyed much of the plaster inside. Wrought iron detailing has to constantly be painted to avoid rust in what is a very wet climate. Without historic protection or any financial incentives like tax breaks, restoring the home made no economic sense. The value of the land ultimately far exceeded the home, and razing Pahonu to build new homes made more fiscal sense for both the owner and developer.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Nice advice concerning Panohu demise and sad (whatever it was rational) fate.

I agree with you concerning Art Deco and (mostly) neo-classic era (around 1900). These are not really suitable for home housing. However, when i was a little boy, my parents were often invited in a magnificent Art-Deco Private Hotel at Saint-Malo. I've still some very moving memories of these visits.

These architectural currents were very common in some districts in France, especially Normandie, Pas-de-Calais (Hauts-de-France) and Isére. Contrary to the South of France (more traditional), this was due to the fact that these districts ('Régions') had a very sharp industrial and economical activities growth during the 1890-1930 period. So wealthy new housing demands were usual.

To continue with this nice conversation, would you be interested in seeing some of my house's pictures by MP ?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu

#18 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Nice advice concerning Panohu demise and sad (whatever it was rational) fate.

I agree with you concerning Art Deco and (mostly) neo-classic era (around 1900). These are not really suitable for home housing. However, when i was a little boy, my parents were often invited in a magnificent Art-Deco Private Hotel at Saint-Malo. I've still some very moving memories of these visits.

These architectural currents were very common in some districts in France, especially Normandie, Pas-de-Calais (Hauts-de-France) and Isére. Contrary to the South of France (more traditional), this was due to the fact that these districts ('Régions') had a very sharp industrial and economical activities growth during the 1890-1930 period. So wealthy new housing demands were usual.

To continue with this nice conversation, would you be interested in seeing some of my house's pictures by MP ?
I’d absolutely love to see pictures of your home. It is a nice conversation. I’m always good to talk about architecture.

What you say about economic growth changing architecture is spot on. More prosperous areas have far fewer historic structures and that’s true everywhere, I think. Those places have the wealth to tear down and rebuild... frequently! New York has surprisingly few old buildings, say 150 years or older, given how old the city is. They were torn down and replaced because the land was so valuable... not unlike Pahonu, though that land value is from the limited supply of waterfront property, not industrial development.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:Am I remembering correctly that we see the inside of the actual boathouse in “Don Luis Higgins”?
There’s some debate about this, but the storage space below was definitely shown in Hawaii Five-O. McGarrett was held hostage there in an early episode. You can even see an old wooden gate stored under there that matches one at the rear of the main house. We’ve only seen the upstairs from small glimpses through the door on Magnum and one or two real estate photos. A Vega$ episode might also have used the lower level of the boat house but that’s also uncertain.
Hi Pahonu, do you know which episode of Five-O this was? I really don't remember seeing the boathouse in any episode of Five-O or where it played a role as a prison where someone was held captive. The main house and the grounds of the Anderson Estate were featured in numerous episodes but I can't recall the boathouse itself.

Pahonu

#20 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:Am I remembering correctly that we see the inside of the actual boathouse in “Don Luis Higgins”?
There’s some debate about this, but the storage space below was definitely shown in Hawaii Five-O. McGarrett was held hostage there in an early episode. You can even see an old wooden gate stored under there that matches one at the rear of the main house. We’ve only seen the upstairs from small glimpses through the door on Magnum and one or two real estate photos. A Vega$ episode might also have used the lower level of the boat house but that’s also uncertain.
Hi Pahonu, do you know which episode of Five-O this was? I really don't remember seeing the boathouse in any episode of Five-O or where it played a role as a prison where someone was held captive. The main house and the grounds of the Anderson Estate were featured in numerous episodes but I can't recall the boathouse itself.
I believe it was Sweet Terror. It’s near the end of the episode and McGarrett is held captive underneath the lanai. There’s also a helicopter at the very end that shows a unique view of the grounds through its footwell.

There’s also Forty Feet High and It Kills from that season showing the estate, but I’m pretty sure it’s not that one.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
I believe it was Sweet Terror. It’s near the end of the episode and McGarrett is held captive underneath the lanai. There’s also a helicopter at the very end that shows a unique view of the grounds through its footwell.

There’s also Forty Feet High and It Kills from that season showing the estate, but I’m pretty sure it’s not that one.
Thanks for that, Pahonu! And K Hale (for the video link!)

I've seen "Sweet Terror" many a times (Theodore Bikel is always a joy to watch - did you know he was screen-tested for the role of Auric Goldfinger, along with another Five-O guest Titos Vandis?) but for whatever reason it never registered with me that's where McGarrett was held captive. I just assumed it was in some quarters around the main house. Guess I didn't pay enough attention back then. So looking at that YouTube link that K Hale provided, McGarrett is seen exiting the boathouse through some narrow door at the ground level. I guess I assumed there was just one entry/exit point at the ground level and that was the double doors in the front (facing the tidal pool) which I assume was for the boat access. When I was swimming in the tidal pool in 2018 that's all I noticed - those double doors. But I guess there's a small door on the side (judging by the Five-O clip). I'm guessing this door is on the side of the boathouse facing the main house? Or is it behind the boathouse - facing the gatehouse? I think in that video I saw what appeared to be steps leading up to the lanai, so my guess is the door is on the side facing the main house.

Pahonu

#23 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Thanks for that, Pahonu! And K Hale (for the video link!)

I've seen "Sweet Terror" many a times (Theodore Bikel is always a joy to watch - did you know he was screen-tested for the role of Auric Goldfinger, along with another Five-O guest Titos Vandis?) but for whatever reason it never registered with me that's where McGarrett was held captive. I just assumed it was in some quarters around the main house. Guess I didn't pay enough attention back then. So looking at that YouTube link that K Hale provided, McGarrett is seen exiting the boathouse through some narrow door at the ground level. I guess I assumed there was just one entry/exit point at the ground level and that was the double doors in the front (facing the tidal pool) which I assume was for the boat access. When I was swimming in the tidal pool in 2018 that's all I noticed - those double doors. But I guess there's a small door on the side (judging by the Five-O clip). I'm guessing this door is on the side of the boathouse facing the main house? Or is it behind the boathouse - facing the gatehouse? I think in that video I saw what appeared to be steps leading up to the lanai, so my guess is the door is on the side facing the main house.
Interesting about Goldfinger, thanks!

Yes, the door is under the steps up to the lanai, facing the main house. It can be seen on Magnum a few times if you look closely. It’s also in my SketchUp model.

Many people are confused by the layout of the actual boathouse, probably because of how it was depicted as the guest house. It’s not at all the same. In the simplest terms, it’s just a garage on the beach, but with an upstairs, and the upstairs is not connected inside to the garage by stairs. This “garage” has big doors facing the water to move boats and other large water sports equipment (surf ski anyone? :magnum: ) in and out down the ramp (drive/boatway?) to the beach. It also has a regular sized door on the side as do many garages, to go in and out more easily than opening the big doors. I always thought it would have been the perfect place to have Magnum store his surf ski, but it was already being used to depict the guest house.

The only unusual part of the garage is that because the beach is significantly lower than the level of the grounds, it’s partly subterranean. The windows are therefore right near the ground. Look to the left of the stairs up to the lanai, under the large window. There are several of these smaller windows all around the structure providing natural light to the garage. On the beach side, the ground level drops sharply on each side of the large doors allowing egress down the ramp to the sand. As I said earlier, this garage space is about three times the size of the enclosed space upstairs.

The stairs from the ground up to the lanai don’t go up a full story because the structure is partly submerged. They go up only about six feet. The stairs to the side garage door aren’t at ground level either, they go down about 3 feet. Upstairs is kind of like detached garages on old, large estates. There were often servant rooms above them. Years ago a friend had a girlfriend who rented one of two apartments above a six-car garage! on a big property. It had similar external stairs, actually two, one on each end to each apartment. In this case at Pahonu, the large lanai was placed on top instead, certainty to take advantage of the view, but another room and bathroom were included. This room has two larger windows, facing the main house and gatehouse, though curiously not facing the view? Another small window is in the bathroom facing the neighboring property.

That room’s use has been a real puzzle for me over the years. Any thoughts anyone???

Sorry if this seems long and tedious for some.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by K Hale »

I think it’s super interesting! I never knew about that side door. What about the interior where the shoot out takes place, can that be assumed to be the actual inside of the boathouse or is it a set somewhere?

Also, I forgot to mention this but Theodore Bikel was also in an episode of Ellery Queen that John Hillerman was in. :lol: 1970s television was a small world!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#25 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:I think it’s super interesting! I never knew about that side door. What about the interior where the shoot out takes place, can that be assumed to be the actual inside of the boathouse or is it a set somewhere?

Also, I forgot to mention this but Theodore Bikel was also in an episode of Ellery Queen that John Hillerman was in. :lol: 1970s television was a small world!
I don’t think the shootout happened in the actual interior, but maybe. If you look closely as McGarrett runs out of the door, the interior seems to have a dirt or sand floor. I’m uncertain why, but the scene inside didn’t appear to be the same floor.

Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

You're a treasure trove of information, Pahonu! Thanks :D

Regarding the interior shootout scene with McGarrett and the guy holding him and Philip Ahn captive I would guess it's more likely the interior of the main house. The main house was used quite a bit on Five-O. As Pahonu pointed out, it does appear like the interior of the boathouse has sand on the ground when we see McGarrett exiting. That's not what we saw seconds earlier.

Pahonu

#27 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s the boathouse (NOT the guest house) plans I created using the property tax records, property plat, real estate photos, and screencaps from various shows. The only unknowns are:

First floor window number and location on the property-line (Shriners) side
Exact details of the bathroom on the same side
Exact details of the support post number and locations in the storage area.

The sea wall and property perimeter wall are both shown along with the ramp to the beach. The final image includes a chain link fence that separates the boat house yard from the rest of the property.

Enjoy and comment/critique all you want!

https://ibb.co/XpWQcbj
https://ibb.co/nPKBb4z
https://ibb.co/MgtRLjZ

Pahonu

#28 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:You're a treasure trove of information, Pahonu! Thanks :D

Regarding the interior shootout scene with McGarrett and the guy holding him and Philip Ahn captive I would guess it's more likely the interior of the main house. The main house was used quite a bit on Five-O. As Pahonu pointed out, it does appear like the interior of the boathouse has sand on the ground when we see McGarrett exiting. That's not what we saw seconds earlier.
Agreed!

Pahonu

#29 Post by Pahonu »

Here’s a screenshot of the guest house wall with the missing kitchen from the pilot that started this whole thread:

https://ibb.co/z7BKWFq

Magnum is standing to the left of the fridge looking at Higgins on the stairs.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Oups, you're right ! When i think that i went through, missing this... :?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."