Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii

#31 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Bahahaha! I just spat out my tea from reading that. Thanks!
Thanks ?? :lol: For what, for your launderer's bill ? :D

Well, i guess we could express all our gratitude for these early 80's script writers who spent all their nights sweeting above français-anglais dictionaries !

Thanks for these good words. :magnum:

EDIT: To Pahonu: Thanks too for this very interesting scholar and accurate knowledge. :wink:
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#32 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Hey, Gorilla Mask, this has little to do with this thread but I am curious if the scenes in Magnum, P.I. where French is spoken are passable to a French speaker. For an example Lily (who turns out to be Magnum's daughter) speaks only French and Vietnamese. Higgins and her converse in French. Was that done well? Just curious. Thanks.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello 80's Big Hair ! :magnum:

The episodes you are talking about are quite remote in my memories, could you specifies which ones you want me to review in original version ?

Usually, french dubbing with american series are very good and well synchronised, so in french version, it is not really noticeable when TM or others are speaking in French.

Would be quite fun to see the french level of TM or Baby Higgie ! :higgins: Just tell me !

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#34 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Hello 80's Big Hair ! :magnum:

The episodes you are talking about are quite remote in my memories, could you specifies which ones you want me to review in original version ?

Usually, french dubbing with american series are very good and well synchronised, so in french version, it is not really noticeable when TM or others are speaking in French.

Would be quite fun to see the french level of TM or Baby Higgie ! :higgins: Just tell me !
That would be Little Girl Who (Season 7, Episode 7).

From my memory, the French is poor - just memorized from a script. I'm not a native French speaker, but I get by. It would be good to hear a fresh review from a francophone.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Gorilla Mask »

hmmmm... (searching frantically amidst a large bunch of DVD…) I got it !

Will review it ASAP and i will let you know my advice ! :D

Styles, were and when did you learned and graduate in French ? That is quite uncommon in the US, no ?

Styles Bitchley

#36 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:hmmmm... (searching frantically amidst a large bunch of DVD…) I got it !

Will review it ASAP and i will let you know my advice ! :D

Styles, were and when did you learned and graduate in French ? That is quite uncommon in the US, no ?
I'm in Canada, actually. Et j'ai vécu à Genève pendant huit ans, en fait. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Gorilla Mask »

haaaaa, oui, tu vivaiis à "geun'ééééve"…. :D

Et y avait-il le "feu au lac" ?...

désolé for that unforgivable private joking but i was not able to resist… 8)

Styles Bitchley

#38 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:haaaaa, oui, tu vivaiis à "geun'ééééve"…. :D

Et y avait-il le "feu au lac" ?...

désolé for that unforgivable private joking but i was not able to resist… 8)
Yes, yes, it's all true what they say about the Swiss. But I will confess that in my opinion Swiss-French accent and vocabulary is the easiest for non-native speakers to understand.

- J.Q.H.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#39 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Oh. Your DVDs are dubbed into French Gorilla Mask. For some reason I figured they were in English with French subtitles, or just in English. Styles Bitchley seemed to confirm what I suspected-- the French dialogue is pretty bad, but good enough to pass as believable to a non-French speaker. Just out of curiosity I checked on Higgins' English accent. The consensus among Brits is that it was not as good as I thought it was: https://www.quora.com/Was-John-Hillerma ... UK?share=1. It is called acting and I think it was pretty good for someone from Texas. Thanks to the both of you.

Styles Bitchley

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

80s Big Hair wrote:Oh. Your DVDs are dubbed into French Gorilla Mask. For some reason I figured they were in English with French subtitles, or just in English. Styles Bitchley seemed to confirm what I suspected-- the French dialogue is pretty bad, but good enough to pass as believable to a non-French speaker. Just out of curiosity I checked on Higgins' English accent. The consensus among Brits is that it was not as good as I thought it was: https://www.quora.com/Was-John-Hillerma ... UK?share=1. It is called acting and I think it was pretty good for someone from Texas. Thanks to the both of you.
Back when the forum was a lot more active, there were a lot of Brits, Frenchmen, Scandinavians, and Italians. I remember distinctly a thread that discussed Hillerman’s accent and the opinion from the Brits was that it was quite good, although certain terms were sometimes awkward or incorrect. But that’s on the writers.

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Gorilla Mask »

On second season french DVD (which features US version too, thanks to the heavens... :P ) I spent some minutes listening to JH english. I would says that is it definitively not a real Cockney :lol: . His tone is a bit emphatic, but; well, it sounds to me as a good rated english BBC...