Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

bbert73
Lieutenant

#16 Post by bbert73 »

Oh well, there goes that idea. :( I guess we're back to "The Bubble". :lol:

bbert73
Lieutenant

#17 Post by bbert73 »

OK, here's the scoop. I got this from a French teacher, who's from France, at a local school.
Le=Masculine
La=Feminine
The words "Le Bulle" doesn't exist in the French language.
The words "La Bulle" doesn't exist either, but "Las Bulle" does and it means "Bubble" or "The Bubble", I guess it depends on how it's used in a sentence. So I don't know why they would call him that. :? I guess only the writers know the answer to that question. And I guess they forgot to, or didn't know better than to put the "s" at the end of "La".
Last edited by bbert73 on Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Weird, I always assumed it (Bulle) translated to "The Bull", but now I see that was a mistake. Whatever it is, it's definitely supposed to be his underworld name and not his real name.

"You can run, but you can't hide from ..... THE BUBBLE!!" :lol:

Bonnick/Bonig, Icepick/Ice Pick, Greene/Green, Le Bulle/La Bulle/LaBoule, it's all part of the "Magnum Fun", folks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

bbert73
Lieutenant

#19 Post by bbert73 »

"You can run, but you can't hide from ..... THE BUBBLE!!" :lol:

:lol: Thats a good one James!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

After reading the last few posts, I think I need to take remedial French. Hey, I said I took both Spanish and French, I didn't say I was any good at either. :oops:

Someone previously said that "bulle" also meant 'SEAL' in french. Le Bulle may not have been a Navy Seal like Magnum, but maybe his French comrades referred to him as a seal (bulle) since he was attached to a S.E.A.L. team. I think that is more palatable than referring to Le Bulle as "The Bubble." Unless of course, he won a bubble blowing contest.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by Vanity »

Hi Guys,

Being French, I know for sure that should it be Bulle, it is La Bulle
(same goes for Boule by the way).
Trust me, there ain't much logic in French grammar (I'm so glad I never had to actually learn it at school...).
La Bulle, means the bubble and should be pronounced like the German "ü".
I'll watch the episode again (this time in French) to see whether there could be a second meaning.
I know what you're thinking...

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by eegorr »

Vanity wrote:Hi Guys,

Being French, I know for sure that should it be Bulle, it is La Bulle
(same goes for Boule by the way).
Trust me, there ain't much logic in French grammar (I'm so glad I never had to actually learn it at school...).
La Bulle, means the bubble and should be pronounced like the German "ü".
I'll watch the episode again (this time in French) to see whether there could be a second meaning.
Can Bulle in any way be interpreted to mean Seal (the animal), as was suggested earlier in the thread?

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Vanity »

As promised, I check the French version of this episode (weird feeling...).
Even checked the subtitles. Indeed it all refers to the plain Bubble.

Still, there are several other definitions of Bulle, which can go from an extensive increase of prices (real estate, crude oil...) to a document which had been sealed with lead or gold.

My personal conclusion at this stage would be that one of the MPI writers took the word SEAL and looked for an out of context translation and ended-up with Bulle (last definition here above). Then added the La to make it more Frenchy, a bit like the BigMc line in Pulp Fiction .
I know what you're thinking...

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't Eat The Snow in Hawaii

#24 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello,

As a french myself i share Vanity conclusion about "La Bulle".

Should be a mix between an error and a plain translation without contexting it ...

How odd anyway :| . Yes, Seal in French could be translated as a seal ("sceau") such as these used to close a letter in an very old fashioned way... but only concerning some documents commited by... the Vatican Administration!.. That is very remote, but "une Bulle pontificale" is a major canonic act signed by the Pope. I confirm also that it refers to the gold or lead seal that was use to close and identify it thereafter. This tradition dates back to the Byzantine Empire.

Well, that leads us far from Magnum PI ! :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Hello,

As a french myself i share Vanity conclusion about "La Bulle".

Should be a mix between an error and a plain translation without contexting it ...

How odd anyway :| . Yes, Seal in French could be translated as a seal ("sceau") such as these used to close a letter in an very old fashioned way... but only concerning some documents commited by... the Vatican Administration!.. That is very remote, but "une Bulle pontificale" is a major canonic act signed by the Pope. I confirm also that it refers to the gold or lead seal that was use to close and identify it thereafter. This tradition dates back to the Byzantine Empire.

Well, that leads us far from Magnum PI ! :D
Thanks for reviving this old thread, which I've never had the pleasure of reading! I actually never thought about the use of the term La Bulle. It's hilarious that they went for an uncommon (and wrong) translation of seal. I think the more common translation of the actual aquatic species would have been too much for prime time television. (the French speakers know what I mean - LOL).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Thanks Styles for the appreciation 8)
I think the more common translation of the actual aquatic species would have been too much for prime time television. (the French speakers know what I mean - LOL).
heuuuu..; I've got an little idea but… that is certainely too late here in France… Could you give me an example "en privé" (by MP) ? :D

However, i am really glad to share some words regarding M-PI with all of you people. thanks. :D

Styles Bitchley

#27 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Thanks Styles for the appreciation 8)
I think the more common translation of the actual aquatic species would have been too much for prime time television. (the French speakers know what I mean - LOL).
heuuuu..; I've got an little idea but… that is certainely too late here in France… Could you give me an example "en privé" (by MP) ? :D

However, i am really glad to share some words regarding M-PI with all of you people. thanks. :D
Let's just say that throwing around the term "Le Phoque" would raise a few eyebrows - and giggles from the kids. My kids love finding any possible opportunity to work "phoque" into conversation.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Gorilla Mask »

hum hum , in that sense you're right "Philippe le Phoque" would have recalled another style of character... Much less virile for sure ! :D

Styles Bitchley

#29 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Gorilla Mask wrote:hum hum , in that sense you're right "Philippe le Phoque" would have recalled another style of character... Much less virile for sure ! :D
Bahahaha! I just spat out my tea from reading that. Thanks!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#30 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: How odd anyway :| . Yes, Seal in French could be translated as a seal ("sceau") such as these used to close a letter in an very old fashioned way... but only concerning some documents commited by... the Vatican Administration!.. That is very remote, but "une Bulle pontificale" is a major canonic act signed by the Pope. I confirm also that it refers to the gold or lead seal that was use to close and identify it thereafter. This tradition dates back to the Byzantine Empire.
You are correct! A papal bull is an official decree from the Catholic Church and is named for the seal affixed. From Wikipedia:

A bulla (Medieval Latin for "a round seal", from Classical Latin bulla, "bubble, blob", plural bullae) is an inscribed clay or soft metal (such as lead or tin) or bitumen or wax token used in commercial and legal documentation as a form of authentication and for tamper-proofing whatever is attached to it (or, in the historical form, contained in it). In their oldest attested form, as used in the ancient Near and Middle East of the 8th century BCE onwards, bullae were hollow ball-like clay envelopes that contained other smaller tokens that identified the quantity and types of goods being recorded. In this form, bullae represent one of the earliest forms of specialization in the ancient world, and likely required skill to create.[1]:24 From about the 4th century BCE onwards, as communications on papyrus and parchment became widespread, bullae evolved into simpler tokens that were attached to the documents with cord, and impressed with a unique sign (i.e. seal)[1]:29 to provide the same kind of authoritative identification and for tamper-proofing. Bullae are still occasionally attached to documents for these purposes (cf. papal bull).

It shares a common Latin root with bubble! Odd indeed it was chosen. Thanks for the information.