Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#196 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Mr. Keoki wrote:I bought a new no date submariner (black) last summer. I love it. I think once the GMT pepsi moves away from the jubilee bracelet, I'll put my name on the wait list. I don't like the jubilee. I prefer the oyster.
You can always buy an oyster and add it. Might not be the most cost effective way to do it though. And I think that wait list is pretty loooong.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#197 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Mr. Keoki wrote:I bought a new no date submariner (black) last summer. I love it. I think once the GMT pepsi moves away from the jubilee bracelet, I'll put my name on the wait list. I don't like the jubilee. I prefer the oyster.
You can always buy an oyster and add it. Might not be the most cost effective way to do it though. And I think that wait list is pretty loooong.
Yeah. Too much money for me. I saw something where a guy took the bracelet from a batman and added it to the pepsi.. If I wanted to spend that much I'd just buy the white gold pepsi. But. yeah. Haha.

I only had to wait 3 months for the sub. Which I don't mind because I'm not going to pay gray market prices. Same thoughts with the pepsi. When it's meant to be, I'll put my name down and wait.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#198 Post by Nikita70 »

I’m on the fence about the six digit GMT. I have a five digit which is my favorite watch. The six digit- I’m not wild about the color on the insert or the font of the numbers. Not in my budget anyway...

I’m surprised none of the microbrands have made an homage to the Chronosport. I think they’d sell out fast if they did a limited run of 200 or so. If they were true to the original and used a quartz movement they could see them relatively cheap. If NTH, Borealis did one it’d be great quality, I can’t speak about any other microbrands as those two are the only ones I have bought watches from although several others have great quality as well. I’d be a buyer.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#199 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

My advise is to keep the 5 digit GMT.

These are keepers and I see them still raising in value over the coming years.
If you sell now, I am pretty sure that you‘ll regret it very soon.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#200 Post by Nikita70 »

If you are speaking to me, I have no plans to sell my 16760.

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#201 Post by mrnation8 »

I’m also ok the waiting list for a new GMT Pepsi and have been for awhile. I finally broke down and bought the GMT Master II. Cost the same for a used one made in 2000 in the grey market as a new one, but it sure is nice looking on my wrist for now lol.
Last edited by mrnation8 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Styles Bitchley

#202 Post by Styles Bitchley »

mrnation8 wrote:I’m also ok the waiting list for a new GMT Pepsi and have been for awhile. I finally broke down and bought the GMT Master II. Cost the same for a used one made in 2000 in the grey market as a new one, but it sure is nice looking on my wrist for now lol.
I'm guessing that would be a 16710? I think it's much nicer than the new one. Let's see a photo!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

mrnation8
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#203 Post by mrnation8 »

Since I’m completely new to forums, let me search how to add a photo and I’ll get right back lol

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#204 Post by My Little Voice »

This thread is a wealth of information! Personally, I find myself drawn to the Chronosport, but the Rolex is a beautiful watch and I would love to own one.

Nowadays, finding a Chronosport in great condition and agreeing on a "fair" price is much like negotiation with Higgins for wine cellar privileges; possible but ultimately time consuming and not without certain concessions. Chief among them is the cost for a complete service, very necessary if the watch is to live as Magnum intended.

This led me on a search for other Monnin case dive watches of the era and ultimately to the CWC Royal Navy Diver. https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/di ... vers-watch

A quartz dive watch with the same case as the Chronosport, but with factory warranty! Sign me up.

I'm also fond of the way this watch blurs the lines between the Magnum and Higgins characters. A British dive watch with the look and feel of Magnum's Chronosport.

I daily wear mine on a black perlon strap and I hope it will tide me over until I find the right Chronosport or splurge on that beautiful Rolex.

To The Regiment
Admiral

#205 Post by To The Regiment »

My Little Voice wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:42 pm This thread is a wealth of information! Personally, I find myself drawn to the Chronosport, but the Rolex is a beautiful watch and I would love to own one.

Nowadays, finding a Chronosport in great condition and agreeing on a "fair" price is much like negotiation with Higgins for wine cellar privileges; possible but ultimately time consuming and not without certain concessions. Chief among them is the cost for a complete service, very necessary if the watch is to live as Magnum intended.

This led me on a search for other Monnin case dive watches of the era and ultimately to the CWC Royal Navy Diver. https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/di ... vers-watch

A quartz dive watch with the same case as the Chronosport, but with factory warranty! Sign me up.

I'm also fond of the way this watch blurs the lines between the Magnum and Higgins characters. A British dive watch with the look and feel of Magnum's Chronosport.

I daily wear mine on a black perlon strap and I hope it will tide me over until I find the right Chronosport or splurge on that beautiful Rolex.
That CWC is nice. The CWC Quartz Diver with Day/Date is also very similar to the Chronosport: https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/di ... mt-qm60-dd

This vintage Tegra looks like the exact same watch as the Chronosport Sea Quartz: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133668197278?n ... 7675.l2557

It sold for $1,305. That's a lot of cash for a Chronosport look-alike. It appears they're also difficult to find these days.

Best,
To The Regiment

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#206 Post by eagle »

I've enjoyed my Steinhart for a few years now, and at this point I'm starting to consider a Tudor Black Bay GMT on the bracelet.

I'd also really like to get a Chronosport at some point, but man are those rare!

To The Regiment
Admiral

#207 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:45 pm I've enjoyed my Steinhart for a few years now, and at this point I'm starting to consider a Tudor Black Bay GMT on the bracelet.

I'd also really like to get a Chronosport at some point, but man are those rare!
Those Tudor GMTs are really nice. On my Want List as well.

To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley

#208 Post by Styles Bitchley »

The Tudor GMT is very nice. I've considered it also. The bezel colours aren't quite right and the case doesn't have the crown guards, but I love that the dial doesn't have the white gold surrounds. It's much more in the spirit of the old Magnum GMT, rather than the mid 80s to present more "luxury" Rolex watches. it's hard to really call it a tool watch though with a price tag of more than USD5,000.

By the way, for anyone looking for a Sea Quartz 30, there's a project up for sale on the Bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353617983806?s ... Track=true

The price is a little ambitious as it has several issues, but it does have the original jubilee bracelet, which is really hard to come by. It also has the "Magnum" black day/date wheel, which is also rare (most are white).

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#209 Post by eagle »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm The Tudor GMT is very nice. I've considered it also. The bezel colours aren't quite right and the case doesn't have the crown guards, but I love that the dial doesn't have the white gold surrounds. It's much more in the spirit of the old Magnum GMT, rather than the mid 80s to present more "luxury" Rolex watches. it's hard to really call it a tool watch though with a price tag of more than USD5,000.
MSRP is $4,050... is street price over $5k today? I haven't gone to look at them yet, so I honestly don't know. I do know that jomashop and bob's watches both imply a $4k price for new.
By the way, for anyone looking for a Sea Quartz 30, there's a project up for sale on the Bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353617983806?s ... Track=true

The price is a little ambitious as it has several issues, but it does have the original jubilee bracelet, which is really hard to come by. It also has the "Magnum" black day/date wheel, which is also rare (most are white).
I saw that, and might consider it for several hundred less. Personally I don't like the jubilee (I have always loved oyster bracelets, and never cared for jubilees), and if I were to buy this, I'd look for a rubber band like Magnum used for it.

Styles Bitchley

#210 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm The Tudor GMT is very nice. I've considered it also. The bezel colours aren't quite right and the case doesn't have the crown guards, but I love that the dial doesn't have the white gold surrounds. It's much more in the spirit of the old Magnum GMT, rather than the mid 80s to present more "luxury" Rolex watches. it's hard to really call it a tool watch though with a price tag of more than USD5,000.
MSRP is $4,050... is street price over $5k today? I haven't gone to look at them yet, so I honestly don't know. I do know that jomashop and bob's watches both imply a $4k price for new.

I saw that, and might consider it for several hundred less. Personally I don't like the jubilee (I have always loved oyster bracelets, and never cared for jubilees), and if I were to buy this, I'd look for a rubber band like Magnum used for it.
Guys are trying to sell for over $5k, but if you're patient, I'm sure you can get one for MSRP - you're right.

Here's a link to the company making the original Tropic, which is what came with the Chronosport as the basic strap option (the bracelet was an upgrade) https://shop.synchronwatches.com/produc ... c-strap-2/

It's expensive, but could very well be worth it. I cheaped out and bought an Uncle Seiko tropic and, while it looks good, it's made of a hard material that is not comfortable.

- J.Q.H.