Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Buying a Rolex or Chronosport

#181 Post by Styles Bitchley »

eagle wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Wonder how they’ll weave in the watch story into the new show. Rolexes are no longer something the average Navy Seal can afford. And either of the newer Coke or Batman GMTs we’ve seen are too new to be an inheritance. But that didn’t stop them the first time around.
I might have the timeline wrong, but didn't Magnum wear a Chronosport until the episode with his father, which reveals how he received the Rolex?
Yes. That's correct. But it happened during the Korean War.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#182 Post by perfectlykevin »

Danno wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:Wonder how they’ll weave in the watch story into the new show. Rolexes are no longer something the average Navy Seal can afford. And either of the newer Coke or Batman GMTs we’ve seen are too new to be an inheritance. But that didn’t stop them the first time around.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? Assuming they even give it a thought or imbue it with any meaning. I'm hoping they will in some way even if it isn't exactly like the original series. Heck, maybe it was his father's who also served in the same theater of war. From what I understand that did happen a bit in the early 2000's
He can afford it because the new Magnum is secretly Robin Masters! :wink:

Exactly!! I hypothesized that too based on the trailer. :) I can't wait for Higgy-baby to confront him about it :D

TSM IV
Ensign

#183 Post by TSM IV »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
TSM IV wrote:Greetings everyone!

Long time Magnum fan. I stumbled upon this forum researching info on Rolex Pepsi homages. A friend of mine mods / builds watches and his best sellers have always been rolex homages. I suggested that he build a Magnum watch for fans, and this is the result:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/610042114/ ... ome_feat_3

Looking for feedback, and thanks!

J
Interesting business plan:

Take a US$ 75,-- Rolex Fake, slap a Magnum logo on the dial (without the Fake Rolex Logo) and sell it for US$ 400,--.
And then let a "friend" register on Magnum Mania and advertise the entire thing.

The custom dial can be had for $ 20,--, so everybody to draw their own conclusion how shamelessly overpriced that ugly thing is.

Just for your information: This entire thing has nothing to do with the 16750 that has been used in the show, it's based on a Fake of a modern GMT II C which is a completely different watch.
At least, with this fake, noone is being cheated like so many others who pay thousands of $$ assuming that they get the real deal.
Wow...lotta hate. I guess I had it coming for my first post being a link to the watch (seriously, I'll own that).
Not a business plan, more of a hobby for him. Also, not a fake. Its a homage. But I get it...you don't like it.

Unfortunately, I don't get to play in the big kids pool (Rolex, IWC, etc). I'll wade around the kiddie pool with my Hamiltons, Balls, and Victorinox. I would love to own the 126710BLRO one day, but I doubt that will happen. I think its a fun homage that may appeal to certain fans.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#184 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Hate? You have been asking about opinion and this is mine.

Call it how you want, it‘s a Rolex Fake with a different crown and a different clasp.
If you feel better, call it hommage, it still is a Fake Watch and based on one.

And as your buddy is getting those for less than $100 and sells it for fourfold this is not a hobby and you should not promote or endorse it. With that kind of profit, the „fun“ ends.

Additionally why a longtime fan (as you say) registers just to immediately promote such a thing is beyond me.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#185 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just a nice story! https://youtu.be/li0mRLcGbU8
"pickled egg please"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#186 Post by eagle »

MagnumILWU wrote:Just a nice story! https://youtu.be/li0mRLcGbU8
Yes, that's a good one. Wow, I can't imagine. So nice for this owner.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#187 Post by KENJI »

This guy made a VERY tidy profit on his Rolex! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Y4bmbh1KY

Styles Bitchley

#188 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:This guy made a VERY tidy profit on his Rolex! :shock:

Yeah. That’s been doing the rounds on the Rolex forums. Pretty fun to see.

I should mention while posting here that I’ve recently picked up a Chronosport Sea Quartz 30. Been looking for years. So hard to find one. I’m doing some restoration bit will post some photos soon.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#189 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:

I should mention while posting here that I’ve recently picked up a Chronosport Sea Quartz 30. Been looking for years. So hard to find one. I’m doing some restoration bit will post some photos soon.
Congrats!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#190 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:

Congrats!
Wow, that's awesome. I don't have a Rolex, but I did buy a Steinhart after hearing about them somewhere on MM (maybe earlier in this thread). The Steinhart isn't anywhere near as costly as a Rolex, but either way I bought it to wear it, not to look at it in a museum.

Anyway, good for that guy - a half-million (plus) dollar watch. Crazy!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#191 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

As for Rolex being costly:

Everybody who has invested in a Rolex GMT 4 years ago ( they could be had for around 4000$ back then) has more than doubled his money by today

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#192 Post by eagle »

Higgins (aka Bondtoys) wrote:As for Rolex being costly:

Everybody who has invested in a Rolex GMT 4 years ago ( they could be had for around 4000$ back then) has more than doubled his money by today
Only if he sells it. :)

Styles Bitchley

#193 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Higgins (aka Bondtoys) wrote:As for Rolex being costly:

Yeah, especially Magnum's 16750 matte dial. Phew! Probably would have tripled your money.

- J.Q.H.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#194 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I bought a new no date submariner (black) last summer. I love it. I think once the GMT pepsi moves away from the jubilee bracelet, I'll put my name on the wait list. I don't like the jubilee. I prefer the oyster.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#195 Post by KENJI »

Marlon Brando's Rolex sells for.................

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/marlo ... s-phillips