The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2566 Post by K Hale »

Old Düsseldorf wrote: So could it be that the camera looking OUT from where Higgins is standing inside the door is from the actual Estate foyer, but what we see in the view looking IN towards Higgins and Magnum is actually the set or faux interior? Another tell could be in the echo's in the voices noted by K Hale. If I hear it correctly, Magnum's voice doesn't echo which suggests that portion of the interior is a set. Wheres Higgins' voice does echo when he's standing next to the front door, which suggests his lines were read in the actual foyer. In this scenario, we aren't really seeing the inside of the Estate even though the camera is inside it, except for maybe the back of the doors.
Yes!!!!!

If no one else wants to consider it a room, OK, but the film crew did come in.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2567 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

K Hale wrote:
Old Düsseldorf wrote: So could it be that the camera looking OUT from where Higgins is standing inside the door is from the actual Estate foyer, but what we see in the view looking IN towards Higgins and Magnum is actually the set or faux interior? Another tell could be in the echo's in the voices noted by K Hale. If I hear it correctly, Magnum's voice doesn't echo which suggests that portion of the interior is a set. Wheres Higgins' voice does echo when he's standing next to the front door, which suggests his lines were read in the actual foyer. In this scenario, we aren't really seeing the inside of the Estate even though the camera is inside it, except for maybe the back of the doors.
Yes!!!!!

The second photo ENSHealey posted of Higgins walking out the doors seems to show a better view of the real Estate "interior". Although, if that is the front of the same doors we see the back of in "By its cover", we can see those doors actually open to the exterior side corridor rather than to what appears to be an interior living room in the inward view from "By its cover". Hard to tell if those are the same doors though because I don't think the "By its cover" scene shows a wide enough shot of the exterior to know... As I'm typing this I can't see the drawings by Pahonu of the layout of that part of the estate.

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2568 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

Pahonu wrote:
I'm also a SoCal kid... nearing 50. LOL! I'm in Long Beach.
We're a similar vintage and origin ;) Sounds like you stuck around. I'm up north now, but still have a lot of connections in the area. This architectural style is one of the things I miss being up here.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2569 Post by K Hale »

Old Düsseldorf wrote:
K Hale wrote:
Yes!!!!!

The second photo ENSHealey posted of Higgins walking out the doors seems to show a better view of the real Estate "interior". Although, if that is the front of the same doors we see the back of in "By its cover", we can see those doors actually open to the exterior side corridor rather than to what appears to be an interior living room in the inward view from "By its cover". Hard to tell if those are the same doors though because I don't think the "By its cover" scene shows a wide enough shot of the exterior to know... As I'm typing this I can't see the drawings by Pahonu of the layout of that part of the estate.
When Hot Rod is looking in, we see Higgins has opened a single door, on his left. When Higgins is looking out, we see he has opened the right side of a pair of double doors. That view is shown even more clearly when Higgins turns to speak to Magnum, which is when Higgins' voice echoes the most. I think there are screen caps of this in the episode thread.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2570 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:If no one else wants to consider it a room, OK, but the film crew did come in.
There's nothing I like more than a hot debate over Magnum minutiae!

I guess it's all a matter of what one considers "inside." To me, since in the (dearly departed) real-life house you can get to the same spot by walking around to the courtyard and never going through a door (a gate, yes, but not a door), you are technically still "outside." However, I can see that if you've gone through a set of double doors and there is now a roof over your head, you might call yourself "in the house."

But for the purposes of deciding whether Ms. Anderson let them shoot "in the house" (which is how I think this snowball got rolling down hill), I think the answer is no, as they weren't shooting in an "interior living space".

Thank you for indulging me while I flogged this thoroughly dead horse.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2571 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
K Hale wrote:If no one else wants to consider it a room, OK, but the film crew did come in.
There's nothing I like more than a hot debate over Magnum minutiae!

I guess it's all a matter of what one considers "inside." To me, since in the (dearly departed) real-life house you can get to the same spot by walking around to the courtyard and never going through a door (a gate, yes, but not a door), you are technically still "outside." However, I can see that if you've gone through a set of double doors and there is now a roof over your head, you might call yourself "in the house."

But for the purposes of deciding whether Ms. Anderson let them shoot "in the house" (which is how I think this snowball got rolling down hill), I think the answer is no, as they weren't shooting in an "interior living space".

Thank you for indulging me while I flogged this thoroughly dead horse.

I'm about to do some dead horse flogging myself!

I would argue that if a room is not fully enclosed then it is not an inside space. It's open to the elements permanently as opposed to opening and closing windows or doors in an inside room. After all, outside rooms are possible. I would also argue that the actual house "foyer"/ zaguan is indeed a "room" it's just not inside since one side is open to the elements. The same would be true when they filmed on the upstairs balcony in "From Moscow to Maui". They filmed in an estate room or space. It just wasn't an inside room.

That being said, the crew most certainly did film in an inside room. When they filmed the scene I mentioned earlier with Higgins and Agatha flying the model planes, they were inside of one of the rooms facing the sea wall, either the living room or library. I think the former. Both of those are completely enclosed rooms unlike the previous two examples. The camera shot over Magnum's shoulder as he waved outside to them on the sea wall lawn. Selleck and the camera crew were definitely inside.

It all depends on how you ask the question, I suppose.
Last edited by Pahonu on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2572 Post by ENSHealy »

Pahonu wrote:Selleck and the camera crew were definitely inside.
I guess the same would be required (cast and/or crew inside) for these shots as well.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2573 Post by K Hale »

Also the one of Higgins on the balcony reciting Shakespeare in “Case of the Red Faced Thespian.”
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu

#2574 Post by Pahonu »

Yup and yup!

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2575 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

K Hale: good catch on the left door/right door reversal in that scene!

This horse is now enjoyably reduced to pulp, and without debating interior vs exterior, looking back at Pahonu's drawings here http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 235#p56091 , it's clear that the photo from ENSHealy showing Higgins walking out the doors is the true view through the main entrance, as it shows the Arched Loggia in the background.

ENSHealy, do you know which episode that scene is in?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2576 Post by ENSHealy »

Old Düsseldorf wrote:K Hale: good catch on the left door/right door reversal in that scene!
This horse is now enjoyably reduced to pulp, and without debating interior vs exterior, looking back at Pahonu's drawings here http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 235#p56091 , it's clear that the photo from ENSHealy showing Higgins walking out the doors is the true view through the main entrance, as it shows the Arched Loggia in the background.
That shot was in Missing In Action, at about 6:20.

Believe it or not, though, I totally coincidentally happened upon an even better one last night, in Try To Remember (see below). It's kind of amazing, only two episodes earlier, there were multiple scenes in the foyer (see two bottom photos) and here they are pulling back the curtain and showing us the columns in the courtyard!

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Pahonu

#2577 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Selleck and the camera crew were definitely inside.
I guess the same would be required (cast and/or crew inside) for these shots as well.

Notice the balcony detailing is different in the middle pic as opposed to the bottom. I've always thought the upper of the two pics was a set created to look like that balcony.

Pahonu

#2578 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote:
Old Düsseldorf wrote:K Hale: good catch on the left door/right door reversal in that scene!
That shot was in Missing In Action, at about 6:20.

Believe it or not, though, I totally coincidentally happened upon an even better one last night, in Try To Remember (see below). It's kind of amazing, only two episodes earlier, there were multiple scenes in the foyer (see two bottom photos) and here they are pulling back the curtain and showing us the columns in the courtyard!

Not to toot my own horn, but I remember noticing those columns through the double doors way back in the 80's when the show was still on the air. There are a few episodes that show them. I had also taken note back then that the interior of the boathouse through the lanai door didn't look like the guest house set. I'd tape the nightly syndicated episodes on the VHS and watch them and pause them frequently to look at details.

That's actually when I started doing sketches of the estate that ultimately led to my SketchUp model all these years later. I also remember seeing the final Wo Fat episode of Hawaii Five-O and being stunned to realize it showed the real interiors of the house. I had taped it with knowing that and started sketching the interiors as well. So all these years later, with the property tax records and the land plat and the real estate photos, etc... I all ready had a good idea of the layout of the house. Those resources gave me the details to start a more accurate plan and then model.

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#2579 Post by Mr. Keoki »

308GUY wrote:Mr. Keoki:
Very disappointing news, but thank you in spades for making the trip and reporting here.

The broken door suggests vandalism...cause I just can't imagine the new owners or their "crew" doing anything like that, even if they lost the keys or something.

Maybe first step to razing it? Sure hope not! :geek:

You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine. The beach is still amazing. it was my second time there, but I also brought my family there, their first time. No one there and it was Saturday.

Word of advice.... pay attention to the tides. Haha. I got lucky my first time and just randomly showed up. This time we got there at sunrise, because I wanted to photograph it. Tide was up and we couldn't get there. Had to wait and come back around 2pm. :higgins:
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2580 Post by K Hale »

Mr. Keoki wrote:
308GUY wrote:Mr. Keoki:
Very disappointing news, but thank you in spades for making the trip and reporting here.

The broken door suggests vandalism...cause I just can't imagine the new owners or their "crew" doing anything like that, even if they lost the keys or something.

Maybe first step to razing it? Sure hope not! :geek:

You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine. The beach is still amazing. it was my second time there, but I also brought my family there, their first time. No one there and it was Saturday.

Word of advice.... pay attention to the tides. Haha. I got lucky my first time and just randomly showed up. This time we got there at sunrise, because I wanted to photograph it. Tide was up and we couldn't get there. Had to wait and come back around 2pm. :higgins:
DEFINITELY check your tide charts prior to any visit to Pahonu!
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!