Ms. Jones in "Three Minus Two"

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Ms. Jones in "Three Minus Two"

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

Anyone know the actress who played her? She had a speaking part and was the one in the now famous snokeling shot. :D I saw it again over the weekend but no credit is listed at IMDB

Kev

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Kevin,

Ms. Jones (the Hall of Records clerk) was played by Margie Impert. The lady in the "snorkel shot" in "Three Minus Two" is unknown. I'm curious as to why you think it is Margie Impert?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Hi Kevin,

Ms. Jones (the Hall of Records clerk) was played by Margie Impert. The lady in the "snorkel shot" in "Three Minus Two" is unknown. I'm curious as to why you think it is Margie Impert?
Hey James,

Thats because Higgins refers to her as "Miss Jones" in the episode. I thought the same thing at first, then I reread the question and remembered that fact from the ep.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, gotcha. I didn't remember that she actually had a name. Still, I think it's safe to say that she's not the "Hall of Records" Ms. Jones. ;)

revruss
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#5 Post by revruss »

Isn't it amazing that as famous as that shot is we don't know who she was. I looked for a credit in the episode and, of course, nothing.

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

LOL didn't we find out she knew how to snorkel all along and was quite expert at it?

revruss
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by revruss »

Yep...that's exactly right!!

:P

eeyore
Admiral

#8 Post by eeyore »

That Magnum, what a Devil! :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

eeyore,

I don't think it was MAGNUM who had the idea of teaching her how to snorkel. I think SHE was trying to get HIS attention -- and I think she did, but apparently it wasn't sufficient to KEEP his attention as she wasn't credited and we never saw her again.

But I thought she was one of the two Swedish (or whatever country it was they were from -- shoot, she was a brunette, wasn't she? Were they Air Singapore or something Oriental?) airline hostesses that he walked through the estate house with, heading out to the beach, with his arms around them, and then he was supposed to be teaching one of them how to snorkel (which is really inaccurate, because when you snorkel, you're wearing big rubber foot fins and she didn't have them in that scene -- I guess it didn't make the raised feet/ankles look as delicate and attractive -- that's a flub as far as I'm concerned but somehow I think the guys here aren't going to argue THAT point!). Now weren't the stewardesses credited? If so, then it's a 50-50 chance you can pick one of their names as the one in the tidal pool for the "iconic" shot!

Boy, I'm just FULL of opinions tonight, aren't I?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

I don't think she's one of the "stews" from the pilot. She had brownish hair and the ladies from the first ep. were blonde (not that hair color can't change... :D ) Anyway, doesn't it seem pretty unusal to have an actress have a speaking part, be included in such a memorable shot that's used in the open sequence for almost all eppies and still not have been given credit? I've thought about writting to whatever studio to see if they have records. Not in some creepy stalker fashion :roll: , just to put the mystery behind me. :?

Kev
golfmobile wrote:eeyore,

I don't think it was MAGNUM who had the idea of teaching her how to snorkel. I think SHE was trying to get HIS attention -- and I think she did, but apparently it wasn't sufficient to KEEP his attention as she wasn't credited and we never saw her again.

But I thought she was one of the two Swedish (or whatever country it was they were from -- shoot, she was a brunette, wasn't she? Were they Air Singapore or something Oriental?) airline hostesses that he walked through the estate house with, heading out to the beach, with his arms around them, and then he was supposed to be teaching one of them how to snorkel (which is really inaccurate, because when you snorkel, you're wearing big rubber foot fins and she didn't have them in that scene -- I guess it didn't make the raised feet/ankles look as delicate and attractive -- that's a flub as far as I'm concerned but somehow I think the guys here aren't going to argue THAT point!). Now weren't the stewardesses credited? If so, then it's a 50-50 chance you can pick one of their names as the one in the tidal pool for the "iconic" shot!

Boy, I'm just FULL of opinions tonight, aren't I?

golf

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Someone who has the DVD -- can you scan through this episode again and find out how this lady gets to the beach with him in the first place? Who is she and why is she in the tidal pool with TM? That may give us a little more of a hint? I don't have the DVD.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'll check tonight, golf

From what I recall, the shot BEGINS with the two of them in the water, striking the pose. Higgins just comes down to the beach to yell at Magnum (for whatever reason) and thats how the scene is set up and you never see HOW she got there.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#13 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:From what I recall, the shot BEGINS with the two of them in the water, striking the pose. Higgins just comes down to the beach to yell at Magnum (for whatever reason) and thats how the scene is set up and you never see HOW she got there.
It was probably just something that Tom Selleck was doing behind the scenes, and they decided to incorporate it into the episode. :wink:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#14 Post by IslandHopper »

Yeah, Ms. Jones wasn't a stew. I think you are thinking of the pilot where Greta and Inga were staying on the estate.

I believe Doc is right. The shot has Higgins coming down to the tidal pool to tell Magnum he has a phone call (Jan Kona), where he sees Magnum supposedly instructing Miss Jones on how to snorkel. Higgins points out that she is an expert snorkeler, and Magnum says something like "Higgins, if you don't play games how do you have any fun." Miss Jones was a guest at the estate.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:"Higgins, if you don't play games how do you have any fun?" Miss Jones was a guest at the estate.
What a great line that is! And you're right IH, she was a guest at the estate. As Doc says, she just kind of appears out of nowhere and you never see her again. She is supposed to meet Robin Masters' publisher for some unknown reason.

In looking at the scene again, she actually has a couple of lines. She says, "spit" (echoing TM, regarding the snorkel mask) and "Thank you, Higgins". And she still doesn't get a credit! As Higgins would say, it's outrageous!

Miss Jones