How do Magnum Mania ranks work?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

How do Magnum Mania ranks work?

#1 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
I have always wondered about something.
I don't ever recall seeing an explanation how the promotions work in the FAQ section or elsewhere. Could someone inform us what are the amount of posts one
needs to attain each rank? If I recall correctly some of the guys have a unique title rather than the traditional ones, how does that work?
I realize this isn't earth shaking stuff but it has always bugged me. And has anyone ever been demoted?
Thank you in advance.

----------------------------------------------------
"Though the hippopotamus has no stinger in his tail, the wise man would rather be sat on by the bee."
"When the wolf is chasing your sleigh, toss him a raisin cookie but don't stop to see if he eats it."
Banacek (George Peppard)

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: How do Magnum Mania ranks work?

#2 Post by Chris109 »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
I don't ever recall seeing an explanation how the promotions work in the FAQ section or elsewhere. Could someone inform us what are the amount of posts one
needs to attain each rank? If I recall correctly some of the guys have a unique title rather than the traditional ones, how does that work?
I realize this isn't earth shaking stuff but it has always bugged me. And has anyone ever been demoted?
Thank you in advance.
One too many Fleet Admirals for ya?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KingKC »

Thank you in advance.

"Though the hippopotamus has no stinger in his tail, the wise man would rather be sat on by the bee."
"When the wolf is chasing your sleigh, toss him a raisin cookie but don't stop to see if he eats it."
Banacek (George Peppard)
I don't know how the unique title is obtained and I doubt anyone has ever been demoted but I went back through the membership list in descending order of posts and figured out the following:

All start at rank of Ensign
at 5 posts one becomes a Lieutenant Junior Grade
at 15 posts - Lieutenant
at 25 posts - Lieutenant Commander
at 35 posts - Commander
at 50 posts - Captain
at 75 posts - Rear Admiral
at 100 posts - Vice Admiral
at 150 posts - Admiral
at 200 posts - Fleet Admiral.

This follows the ascension of rank in the U. S. Navy for officers. There are 68 who have reached the level of Fleet Admiral but only 28 have reached the 500 post level. I would guess that there are only about 20-25 of us that still post on a regular basis. The reboot has clearly helped participation. And if I could find a U-Verse station that carries the original re-runs I would be posting more often. I was told COZI does but the COZI/Family Entertainment TV channel I have does not. I am not into discs or streaming so I just have to wait patiently.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by K Hale »

I wonder how many fleet admirals there are in the actual Navy.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

K Hale wrote:I wonder how many fleet admirals there are in the actual Navy.
According to Wikipedia there are no current fleet admirals in the Navy. The last was Chester Nimitz.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:
According to Wikipedia there are no current fleet admirals in the Navy. The last was Chester Nimitz.
Good heavens. If they’ve run short, they can always come here.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by perfectlykevin »

K Hale wrote:
KingKC wrote:
Good heavens. If they’ve run short, they can always come here.

LOL!!! :lol: I'm sure I can drive a boat, or do they prefer "ships?" ;)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KingKC wrote:
Thank you in advance.
Banacek (George Peppard)
I don't know how the unique title is obtained and I doubt anyone has ever been demoted but I went back through the membership list in descending order of posts and figured out the following:

All start at rank of Ensign
at 5 posts one becomes a Lieutenant Junior Grade
at 15 posts - Lieutenant
at 25 posts - Lieutenant Commander
at 35 posts - Commander
at 50 posts - Captain
at 75 posts - Rear Admiral
at 100 posts - Vice Admiral
at 150 posts - Admiral
at 200 posts - Fleet Admiral.
This follows the ascension of rank in the U. S. Navy for officers. There are 68 who have reached the level of Fleet Admiral but only 28 have reached the 500 post level. I would guess that there are only about 20-25 of us that still post on a regular basis. The reboot has clearly helped participation. And if I could find a U-Verse station that carries the original re-runs I would be posting more often. I was told COZI does but the COZI/Family Entertainment TV channel I have does not. I am not into discs or streaming so I just have to wait patiently.
KingKC,
Truly you are the King, thank you so much for posting the above. Historically speaking, during the Age of Sail the monarchs gave grandiose titles to Admirals
as rewards, some sound like they came from a comic opera. Columbus was Admiral of the Ocean Seas.
Perhaps those Magnum Mania members who attain 500 posts or more could be allowed to choose their own nautical title, such as Lord High Admiral of
the Queens Privy, Kingfish, Harpooner's Mate Queequeg, Diver Dan, whatever floats their boat. Or not, just spit balling, as maybe it would entail
a lot of work for the Chairman of the Board here.

--------------------------------------------------
"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.”
Captain John Paul Jones
(yup, that's where the title came from for the John Wayne movie)