Detroit Tigers.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnom
Lieutenant

Detroit Tigers.

#1 Post by Magnom »

So, has anyone become a Detroit Tigers fan because Thomas Magnum was a fan?
Steve :)

"It don`t mean nothing"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Detroit Tigers.

#2 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I am not, nor have I ever been a Detroit Tigers fan. The fact that Magnum was a Detroit fan actually made me lose a bit of respect for the character.

I have always hated Detroit. I lived close enough, in Canada, to pick up Detroit TV stations occasionally. It was always non-stop crime reporting - brutal murders, robbery, rape, kidnapping, etc.. Detroit was (and still is) a hell-hole. The number of weekly violent crimes in Detroit at the time probably surpassed the yearly totals for all of Canada. I don't know how anybody can go "yay, team!" when there are far bigger problems to deal with.

Magnom
Lieutenant

#3 Post by Magnom »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I am not, nor have I ever been a Detroit Tigers fan. The fact that Magnum was a Detroit fan actually made me lose a bit of respect for the character.

I have always hated Detroit. I lived close enough, in Canada, to pick up Detroit TV stations occasionally. It was always non-stop crime reporting - brutal murders, robbery, rape, kidnapping, etc.. Detroit was (and still is) a hell-hole. The number of weekly violent crimes in Detroit at the time probably surpassed the yearly totals for all of Canada. I don't know how anybody can go "yay, team!" when there are far bigger problems to deal with.
Really, now that surprises me. I thought Detroit would have been chosen because it was a nice place to be.

"It don`t mean nothing"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I sense British sarcasm.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I didn't become a Tigers fan, but I have always thought that the Tigers had the classiest uniforms and caps in MLB.

The only reason TM was a Tigers fan is because Selleck is a Tigers fan (he was born in Detroit). It wasn't any sort of statement about Detroit.

Magnom
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Magnom »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I sense British sarcasm.
No, not intended anyway. I have never been to America and assumed it was all pretty much the same. Here in the U.K. even the nicest areas have there low point.

"It don`t mean nothing"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Magnom wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I sense British sarcasm.
No, not intended anyway. I have never been to America and assumed it was all pretty much the same. Here in the U.K. even the nicest areas have there low point.
Detroit to the US is what Coventry is to the UK. An industrial boom town that fell on hard times and, indeed, as my countryman pointed out has had some serious problems with violence and crime. I wouldn't be so critical, however. The place has amazing history. The most obvious is the automotive industry, but don't forget Motown. Some of the best music ever recorded came out of that town. The Henry Ford Museum is astounding and very much worth a visit, btw.

I do have a soft spot for the Tigers - partially because of Magnum - but I'll always cheer on the Blue Jays whenever they meet (which is often).
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by perfectlykevin »

For me I've grown to like the Tigers and doubtful it would be that way if it wasn't for Magnum first. Right now I'm working full-time and going to school full-time. Catching highlight clips via facebook has helped me immensely. I can catch a five minute condensed game and I get a little stress relief :)

Home town team is the O's but it doesn't bother me when both play, I just enjoy being able to watch, and see great plays as well as the strategy of each game.

Kev

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

Having grown up in the San Francisco area until age 11 (Giants during the Willie Mays era), then in Minneapolis until age 29 (Twins during the Killebrew, Oliva and my all time favorite, Rod Carew era) and now having been in Chicago since 1983 (I like the Cubs and the White Sox) I just enjoy all teams that show class and talent and that definitely includes the Tigers and I agree, I love their caps.......

mettle1
Ensign

#10 Post by mettle1 »

Growing up in Southern Michigan as a kid I actually was a Tiger's fan first and became a fan of the show because he wore the hat.

Detroit is a small part of Michigan, but I have to agree with a previous post in regards to the crime in the city. At least back then. I remember listening to the Detroit radio stations and they would lead the news with a murder, rape, torture, drug busts, etc. If you switch over to the Windsor station just across the river the big crime story would be about somebody stealing a lawn mower.

Levidale
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by Levidale »

I thought it was the Detroit Panthers? :higgins:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Might be a good time to throw out there a reminder of the 2nd Million Magnum March at Comerica Park this August. I am definitely going to try and make it...
https://www.facebook.com/events/388648374910282/

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Kevster »

perfectlykevin wrote:For me I've grown to like the Tigers and doubtful it would be that way if it wasn't for Magnum first. Right now I'm working full-time and going to school full-time. Catching highlight clips via facebook has helped me immensely. I can catch a five minute condensed game and I get a little stress relief :)

Home town team is the O's but it doesn't bother me when both play, I just enjoy being able to watch, and see great plays as well as the strategy of each game.

Kev
So, you and I both share the same first name, and I also go to school full-time and work (Harvard Extension School). Your wife is a graphic artist, as is mine... I happen to live in Florida. If we share THAT too, then we could be split personalities of the same person.... LOL

Kevin
Trust Me!!!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

Kevster wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:For me I've grown to like the Tigers and doubtful it would be that way if it wasn't for Magnum first. Right now I'm working full-time and going to school full-time. Catching highlight clips via facebook has helped me immensely. I can catch a five minute condensed game and I get a little stress relief :)

Kev
So, you and I both share the same first name, and I also go to school full-time and work (Harvard Extension School). Your wife is a graphic artist, as is mine... I happen to live in Florida. If we share THAT too, then we could be split personalities of the same person.... LOL

Kevin
Oh wow! Many similarities, but not FL. Currently in Maryland, home of Old Dussledorf ;) Lucky enough to live near a wonderful local brewery that could easily make something akin to OD too. :D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

Magnom wrote:So, has anyone become a Detroit Tigers fan because Thomas Magnum was a fan?
This thread just happened to show up after my post wondering aloud why MPI never acknowledged the 1984 Tigers' World Series victory. :wink:

When MPI originally aired, Florida didn't have an MLB team, so people would adopt a team from elsewhere. Having said that, it stands to reason that one becomes a fan of a team because they like the team, not necessarily the city in which said team is based.

As to the op's question: not a Tigers or A.L. fan in general, but I admired the quality play of Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, and Lou Whitaker.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck