The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2116 Post by MagnumILWU »

My daydream, over the last several years, was I would win one of those big lotteries, hundreds of millions, and buy the estate! Restore it to the Magnum PI look. Actually build the guest house, and furnish everything, as it was in the show, with all the props! Turn it into a tourist attraction/ museum. I would also make it a Bed and Breakfast, giving fans the treat of spending the night! And of course, an annual Magnum Mania convention! It would have been extraordinary!
"pickled egg please"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2117 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

MagnumILWU wrote:https://deanoinamerica.files.wordpress. ... l-tile.jpg Need help in posting this photos! When I look at these, it just about makes me want to cry!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#2118 Post by MagnumILWU »

Mahalo!
"pickled egg please"

Turkey
Admiral

#2119 Post by Turkey »

Damn.
It's been a fair few months since I logged in... damn.
Make it two weeks.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2120 Post by KENJI »

Diandra wrote:Well, at least my husband and I have a video that I took when we were at the tidal pool in 2012.
He recreated the opening scene of the first episode (well kind of) LOL.
Did it look similar to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jt0Zb4_X9o

Someone had fun on that trip! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2121 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:The original tennis court that is mentioned in RG's articles must've be removed at sometime and later replaced in the 1970's with a new one because during a time when HFO was filming there was no tennis court.
I wonder if both of them were located in the exact same spot or maybe 5ft or so to the left or right and maybe even rotated in another direction ...i.e. length ways and parallel to the driveway. I would guess that's in the same spot as it maximizes the space better, but you never know.....I'm sure there were less trees back then.
Hey again Kenji,

Also noticed these questions, but I don't have such conclusive answers for you. RG's first two posted articles state that a tennis court was "planned" for the estate. That doesn't mean it was built. The final newspaper article posted as the house neared completion is just a drawing and doesn't show the area where the tennis courts were eventually built, but it clearly shows none was built in the area shown in the drawing. That doesn't leave a lot of other possible locations.
Hi Pahonu & Kenji! :D

Haven't been on in a while but I got a notification of a Robin Masters Estate thread post. :D They definitely did put in a tennis court way back when because I did read subsequent newspaper "Society Pages" blurbs from the 1930's saying that the family "entertained the so & so's at their Waimanalo home and they enjoyed tennis and bridge, blah, blah, blah." I'll post the article(s) later...I'm actually in Hawaii right now but unfortunately not on Oahu so I can't provide an update on the status of Pahonu nor post pics. :(
Last year I said I would post the blurb about tennis at Pahonu in the 1930's, and I finally dug it up. As a reminder, Edward Grossman is Julia Wall's son (Eve's uncle, her mother Eva's brother)...

Honolulu Advertiser, May 31, 1936...

So, there's some proof that they did install it back then. As far as it being re-installed, I've done some research :luther: by viewing H50 episodes and I've narrowed it down to somewhere between 1972-1975.

In "Cloth of Gold" which originally aired on February 8, 1972 we can see there was no tennis court...

And the next time we see a scene showing the tennis court area is in "Death's Name Is Sam" which aired on September 10, 1975, and there it is...

Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Thu May 03, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diandra
Captain

#2122 Post by Diandra »

Kenji, your video is waaaay more fun!! We had less water to contend with!! LOL

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2123 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:
Hey RG,

I might send you some screen caps from my model that match some of these photos. Might be fun to compare. What do you say?
Here they are, and again, great job Pahonu!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2124 Post by KENJI »

Way to solve the mystery regarding the tennis court RG!
I just love those old newspaper articles! I can picture them out there now.....good times back then. :)
Nice supporting evidence with the HFO pics too, GREAT shots!!!
Five out five for solving this one!
:luther: :luther: :luther: :luther: :luther:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2125 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Hey RG,

I might send you some screen caps from my model that match some of these photos. Might be fun to compare. What do you say?
Here they are, and again, great job Pahonu!

Yes, great job Pahonu, thanks again for taking the time.
Thanks for posting them RG! :)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2126 Post by KENJI »

Diandra wrote:Kenji, your video is waaaay more fun!! We had less water to contend with!! LOL
Glad you liked it Diana....I bet it's one of our MM members performing there. :D Good job whoever it was!
I'm thinking your clip could be fun too....I'm picturing your husband in ankle deep water trying to do the front stroke. :lol: Thanks for sharing your Pahonu experience with us! :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2127 Post by Sam »

Does anybody remember the discussion of the guest house in HFO season 2 Sweet Terror?? I believe at the time it was determined that it was filmed at the studio... I have what I believe to be proof that it was filmed inside of the guest house... it doesn't show that much and not that big a deal but I think it was the actual building.
It was the lower level..

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2128 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Does anybody remember the discussion of the guest house in HFO season 2 Sweet Terror?? I believe at the time it was determined that it was filmed at the studio... I have what I believe to be proof that it was filmed inside of the guest house... it doesn't show that much and not that big a deal but I think it was the actual building.
It was the lower level..
(Posting screen caps for Sam)...

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2129 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:Does anybody remember the discussion of the guest house in HFO season 2 Sweet Terror?? I believe at the time it was determined that it was filmed at the studio... I have what I believe to be proof that it was filmed inside of the guest house... it doesn't show that much and not that big a deal but I think it was the actual building.
It was the lower level..

Okay there we go thanks RG... in the episode the running shot of Quan Li delivering a a tray of food to mcgarrett.. you see that window just before the doorway before he enters the building.. the window in the screen cap.. also what are the odds of the door behind McGarret that matches the gate door being recreated in a studio?
It doesn't help much regarding the guest house but I do believe it's the first time we've seen the actual interior

Also good job RG posting Pahonu's sketches

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2130 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
It was the lower level..

Okay there we go thanks RG... in the episode the running shot of Quan Li delivering a a tray of food to mcgarrett.. you see that window just before the doorway before he enters the building.. the window in the screen cap.. also what are the odds of the door behind McGarret that matches the gate door being recreated in a studio?
It doesn't help much regarding the guest house but I do believe it's the first time we've seen the actual interior

Also good job RG posting Pahonu's sketches
I agree with you there Sam....the matching door is a great clue that it is inside the guest house. I doubt they recreated it at the studio, BUT they could've borrowed it from the actual estate and brought it to the studio. :wink: I don't think they went that far though, as most viewers would not have even picked up on the matching patterns.....remember HFO wasn't filmed there on a weekly basis, so no need to get that detailed. Nice supporting pics there RG! I'll have to find that episode and watch it again! Thanks Sam.