The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1906 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

KENJI wrote:
Nikita70 wrote:Unless they bought it with intent to demolish I cannot understand anyone spending all those millions on a house and they were not allowed inside before buying? Sounds like BS to me. As long as it was on the market and you’re going to tell a potential buyer they can’t see the inside?
I know it sounds crazy Nikita70, but those were the terms.
It also explains why she had no takers at the original price ($15,750,000) or at the first reduced price ($10,700,000) as it was way too much for anyone to risk without going inside to check the condition. It took the final price reduction ($7,800,000) to get buyers interested. At that price the value was there in the land alone so they could afford to take a risk on the house sight unseen because you were covered if it was a tear down. There were at least a few buyers interested as the final price ended up being $8,700,000. It was one of those unique listings where the owner was extremely private, possibly a hoarder and didn't want others to see how she lived. The realtors were saying it was a gut on the inside and she had quite a few animals in there so we can read between the lines. She was even vetting potential buyers herself to prevent one of us or the press getting inside the gates. If you didn't have the cash, no admission! I'm sure when the new owners finally saw the inside the writing was on the wall. They may have even brought in the experts to see if it was salvageable, but the numbers were possibly way too high to make that plan work, so Plan B was put into play. :(
Good information. It makes more sense now.

Still, it's a pity something like this wasn't done: City issues stop-work order on historic log house

This just happened today. Look at how pathetic the house is, yet it was still saved with an urgent "stop work" order, in the middle of demolition.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#1907 Post by erock308 »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Nikita70 wrote:Unless they bought it with intent to demolish I cannot understand anyone spending all those millions on a house and they were not allowed inside before buying? Sounds like BS to me. As long as it was on the market and you’re going to tell a potential buyer they can’t see the inside?
I know it sounds crazy Nikita70, but those were the terms.
It also explains why she had no takers at the original price ($15,750,000) or at the first reduced price ($10,700,000) as it was way too much for anyone to risk without going inside to check the condition. It took the final price reduction ($7,800,000) to get buyers interested. At that price the value was there in the land alone so they could afford to take a risk on the house sight unseen because you were covered if it was a tear down. There were at least a few buyers interested as the final price ended up being $8,700,000. It was one of those unique listings where the owner was extremely private, possibly a hoarder and didn't want others to see how she lived. The realtors were saying it was a gut on the inside and she had quite a few animals in there so we can read between the lines. She was even vetting potential buyers herself to prevent one of us or the press getting inside the gates. If you didn't have the cash, no admission! I'm sure when the new owners finally saw the inside the writing was on the wall. They may have even brought in the experts to see if it was salvageable, but the numbers were possibly way too high to make that plan work, so Plan B was put into play. :(
Good information. It makes more sense now.

Still, it's a pity something like this wasn't done: City issues stop-work order on historic log house

This just happened today. Look at how pathetic the house is, yet it was still saved with an urgent "stop work" order, in the middle of demolition.

Hey Mad Kudu Buck, are you on PEI? If so, small world because i'm on PEI :-) Get many Burger Loves in yet? lol
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1908 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Yes, I'm on "The Island". My nickname was originally going to be "Magnum PEI". :D

I have no love for burgers.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#1909 Post by erock308 »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Yes, I'm on "The Island". My nickname was originally going to be "Magnum PEI". :D

= Perhaps a "Macho Taco" then... lol

At any rate, glad to see another "Islander" on here :magnum:

Maybe the laws are different the the good ol' USA concerning heritage properties compared to here in Canada.... or maybe money talks a bit louder...

The estate looked pretty rough when I was there in 2005, the grounds were very wild looking and overgrown plus some of the buildings were starting to crack & crumble, but still looked fairly salvageable from my "snooping around" :wink:

It's too bad that someone on here didn't buy it and preserve it and maybe turn it into a Bed & Breakfast or something...
With the appropriate Major Domo running the place of course :higgins:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1910 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

erock308 wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Yes, I'm on "The Island". My nickname was originally going to be "Magnum PEI". :D

= Perhaps a "Macho Taco" then...
Now you're talking. (...but chicken Macho taco. I haven't eaten mammals for a couple decades.)

I wish I had a chance to "snoop around" the estate. I missed my chance. Damn it!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1911 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

erock308 wrote: At any rate, glad to see another "Islander" on here :magnum:
Yes. What are the odds? The entire population of PEI is less than half the city of Honolulu. (and that's not including tourists)

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#1912 Post by ENSHealy »

Sam wrote:Pahonu.I think it is the way you've detailed it but when I see the pics I have a hard time visualizing it.
In this pic it appears that the platform runs to the right of the window.look at the folded lawn chair how big is that,two chairs end to end would reach the end of the platform?? Looking at the surf ski the end is about the far end of the window,compare that to the outside window I would expect to see the double doors. I guess it comes down to angles.

Is there any way that someone other than the original author of these posts can do the photobucket link restoration? So much of the discussion is lost with the broken links.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1913 Post by Sam »

ENShealy... what page are those on I'll fix them..

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1914 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ENSHealy wrote: Is there any way that someone other than the original author of these posts can do the photobucket link restoration? So much of the discussion is lost with the broken links.
Hi ENSHealy,

I believe only the original poster can, as well as JJ or Conch, but that would be a heck of a chore for them. It makes sense for the original poster to do their own pics, but unfortunately some folks are no longer here. I do know Sam and Kenji are working their way through their pics though.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1915 Post by Steve »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
ENSHealy wrote: Is there any way that someone other than the original author of these posts can do the photobucket link restoration? So much of the discussion is lost with the broken links.
Hi ENSHealy,

I believe only the original poster can, as well as JJ or Conch, but that would be a heck of a chore for them. It makes sense for the original poster to do their own pics, but unfortunately some folks are no longer here. I do know Sam and Kenji are working their way through their pics though.
Is there someway we can blame Zuckerberg for this (and while we're at it, the Estate being demolished)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1916 Post by Sam »

Steve wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Hi ENSHealy,

Is there someway we can blame Zuckerberg for this (and while we're at it, the Estate being demolished)
Hey Stevo didn't you just appoint a president... maybe she could get on the ball and get the photo bucket fixed. She does such a great job on everything else. :lol:
Last edited by Sam on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1917 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:
Steve wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: Hi ENSHealy,

Hey Stevo didn't you just appoint a president... maybe she could get on the ball :lol:
I don't know Sam, she is doing such a bang up job on all the other research projects I think she may be overworked..(and I am afraid of girls) :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1918 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:
I don't know Sam, she is doing such a bang up job on all the other research projects I think she may be overworked..(and I am afraid of girls) :shock:
Ha. Ha. Ha, Sam. I was just going to say what Steve said. Sheesh! I found out who Mr. Anderson was, I just found out Obama owns Pahonu, and now this? :wink:

Plus if I'm given forum privileges I just may have to "research" you next, Sam!!! :shock:
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1919 Post by Sam »

Me to Steve.... I think I'm going to delete my post :lol: :lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#1920 Post by ENSHealy »

Hi Sam, that would be great. It's the posts in this topic, pages in the 50s. Here's the link to page 56.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... &start=825

Someday, I hope to build a replica of the guest house. As discussed, the exterior dimensions will have to be adjusted to fit the reproducing of the stage sets, but to the casual eye, I bet it would past muster.

The problem is finding a tidal pool in Wisconsin to build it next to!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."