Magnum/Higgins Defining Moment

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Magnum/Higgins Defining Moment

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Watched ‘I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway’ today during workout.

The last scene where Magnum and Higgins connect... one of my favourites. :magnum: :higgins:

Made me want to ask you all, which do you think is the defining moment when Magnum and Higgins officially crossed over from foes to friends.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum/Higgins Defining Moment

#2 Post by K Hale »

Great question. My opinion is that it would be in "No Need to Know," where the CIA guys don't want Magnum to talk about the dead guy in the tidal pool in front of Higgins. Magnum goes off on them, saying Higgins has every right to know what's going on. Higgins leaves anyway but grudgingly tells Magnum "I'm glad you're all right."

The moment you reference is incredible, btw. Fantastic shot.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

The beach side conversation at the end of Never Again, Never Again was another important early step.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

Wow. Very early in the series. I was thinking mine was maybe too late. :P

Yes, the scene is awesome. Higgins panicked Magnum still in the fire... Then the poignant moment.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by K Hale »

Yes. Friendship is too light a word for that.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Bat22 »

Going back over the series, I was touched by the scene in Black on White when Higgins related his experience with the Mau Mau Uprising. It was an infrequent moment when Magnum showed earnest interest in Higgins' military background and Higgins in turn did not question Magnum's empathy from his time in Vietnam. Later in the episode when Higgins divulges the key details, Magnum is crouched by his side being quietly supportive, again with an implicit understanding of the brutalizing effect war has on inexperienced young men.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by eagle »

It's way too late in the series to be the defining moment, but one of my favorite moments of theirs is when they are in the elevator in the building that is about to be demolished. Google searches tell me that this might be in episode 7.8, Paper War.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

“Mad Dogs and Englishmen” 2 episodes later too.

After opening few scenes and when Higgins leaving.

Gives Magnum the Bridge on the River Kwai.

“But I don’t have anything to give to you”. :magnum:

“You have been my friend” :higgins:

Also, very moving.

Feel their relationship definitely officially crossed over in season 6.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Echoes of the mind, when Higgins comes over and offer to take the Ferrari back is such a moment imo

Great topic btw.
When I watched MPI on the TV 30 years ago, I was very focused on TM, now that I am older, I think that Higgins was the real star!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by K Hale »

I believed that in the 1980s and still believe it today. As did my whole family. 8)

That “you have been my friend” scene — boy, it’s dusty in here... :cry: yeah even though I know he’s coming back...
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:I believed that in the 1980s and still believe it today. As did my whole family. 8)

That “you have been my friend” scene — boy, it’s dusty in here... :cry: yeah even though I know he’s coming back...
I find a lot of ‘choking up’ moments.

Recently, as you can see I’m working out to season 6, got to ‘Rapture’ Episode.

For some reason Magnum yelling “I found it Keli’i, I found it” gets me choked up. Don’t know why. Maybe just the overall emotion of imagining losing your own kid, especially without answers.

Lotsa moments like that for me.

It’s been interesting watching for the first time since John Hillerman died too. Higgins was like a family member growing up, as were the entire cast, so emotional moments bit more emotional. :higgins:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

Bondtoys.de wrote: When I watched MPI on the TV 30 years ago, I was very focused on TM, now that I am older, I think that Higgins was the real star!

Without Higgins the show would never have worked. As hard as it would be for me to see someone else playing TM, I think it would be impossible for me to see someone playing JQH other than John Hillerman.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by K Hale »

Absolutely 110% impossible. No one could do it.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by eagle »

I'm watching "Thicker Than Blood" today over lunch, and during the scene with Magnum & Higgins, where Magnum needs the ship's name, we see in Higgins a combination of curiosity and concern for Magnum.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by K Hale »

eagle wrote:I'm watching "Thicker Than Blood" today over lunch, and during the scene with Magnum & Higgins, where Magnum needs the ship's name, we see in Higgins a combination of curiosity and concern for Magnum.
Magnum flipped out because Higgins wanted something in exchange for developing the photo. But what he wanted was to be told the reason why Magnum took it. He asked twice.

Magnum should've just told him it was to help T.C. and left it at that. Instead of threatening to move out of the guest house over this, lol. Higgins was concerned over Magnum's odd behavior. Obviously there was something strange going on.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!