Magnum's coffee maker

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum's coffee maker

#31 Post by ConchRepublican »

This thread is cracking me up.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MaximRecoil »

ConchRepublican wrote: I would never be able to justify spending $600.00 on a coffee maker.
Me neither; not even anywhere close to that. If I were to spend a significant amount of money on a coffee maker, I'd just get a used commercial Bunn VPR, preferably one from the '80s with the woodgrain ...

... which you can get for under $100 any day of the week (you can get brand new ones for about $200; they've ditched the woodgrain though). Plenty of watts, built like a tank, and no plastic touches the water or coffee while brewing (stainless steel tank, shower head, and tubing; and stainless steel filter baskets are available for it). I worked part-time at a full-service laundromat when I was in high school, and one of those was on the counter. They make good coffee. Not better than my Jet-O-Matic, but it can make a lot more coffee in a lot less time. Also, it would likely last a lot longer, and it is a lot more serviceable in the event that it does break down.
I do notice a difference between freshly ground beans and the commercial vacuum sealed grounds however
I might if I tried them side by side, and all else was equal, though I doubt I'd know which was which even if they did taste different to me. I don't notice any "freshly ground" signature when drinking freshly ground coffee; it just tastes like coffee to me.

On the other hand, the first time I ever tried freshly ground black pepper I was amazed. As a kid I never understood why anyone bothered putting pepper on their food, because I could hardly taste it. When I first tried freshly ground pepper as a teenager, I discovered that it does indeed have flavor; good flavor at that. Also, before that, I never knew that black pepper had any heat.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

September 29th is National Coffee Day.
Happy Coffee Day to all my fellow Magnum-Maniacs!
I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by 308GUY »

Back atchya Mrs. H! :higgins:

Might have to stop by Tim Horton's and see if they're giving away free samples! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Best thread ever.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
I would never be able to justify spending $600.00 on a coffee maker.
Ours was around 3000 and it's worth every penney to us
Pretty sure many Starbucks addicts are spending that kind of money over 2 years there

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MagnumILWU »

"pickled egg please"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by MaximRecoil »

$175? I think he's dreaming, especially considering that someone could buy this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Decker-Co ... 2116405671

... for a lot less money, and it's also new in the box (Black & Decker acquired General Electric's small-appliance business in 1984), or they could get this new-in-the-box Coffeematic II for even cheaper (when shipping price is taken into account):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-General-Ele ... 2116405671

Of course, the $175 one is exactly like Magnum's (and mine), while those others are only almost exactly like Magnum's, but I doubt that alone is a big selling point for many people. But you never know, plus there is a "Make Offer" option.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MagnumILWU »

MaximRecoil wrote:
$175? I think he's dreaming, especially considering that someone could buy this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Decker-Co ... 2116405671

... for a lot less money, and it's also new in the box (Black & Decker acquired General Electric's small-appliance business in 1984), or they could get this new-in-the-box Coffeematic II for even cheaper (when shipping price is taken into account):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-General-Ele ... 2116405671

Of course, the $175 one is exactly like Magnum's (and mine), while those others are only almost exactly like Magnum's, but I doubt that alone is a big selling point for many people. But you never know, plus there is a "Make Offer" option.
Yes, way too much money! I'd wait until the last few minutes, and offer around $50.00! But you never know! Someone really trying to put together a true collection...!
"pickled egg please"