Best Magnum Writer?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Best Magnum PI Writer

Reuben Leder
7%
Jay Huguely
No votes
Bruce Cervi
No votes
Chris Abbott
14%
Donald P. Bellisario
71%
Robert Hamilton
7%
Andrew Schneider
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 14

Turkey
Admiral

Re: Best Magnum Writer?

#16 Post by Turkey »

Little Garwood wrote:Bellisario is my pick. Thanks to Turkey for the handy-dandy (and time-saving!) list of who wrote what.

Reuben Leder would be my choice for second-best writer.

Special mention goes to Deborah Pratt for the two outstanding episodes she wrote, "Little Games" and "Little Girl Who." It's unfair to ask, but I wonder if Bellisario had any input into those scripts.
Good point re: Deborah's eps!

I nearly added her for those two, especially Little Girl Who but I thought it'd be unfair to put her 2 eps up against the longer lists of the other writers :D Still, for me, Little Games could go up against a good deal of the individual episodes listed.
Make it two weeks.

Turkey
Admiral

#17 Post by Turkey »

KingKC wrote:I think Bellisario was clearly the best as he set the best tone for the new series and Greyhoski wasn't too bad in the early seasons. Hamilton and Leder seemed to carry the series for quite a while and Huguely and Cervi kinda brought home the final seasons. That is just an overall impression without listing individual episodes.
Good point with Greyhoski, The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club is one of my fav eps

- Double Jeopardy (1982) ... (story) / (teleplay)
- Computer Date (1982) ... (writer)
- The Sixth Position (1981) ... (writer)
- Don't Say Goodbye (1981) ... (teleplay)
- All Roads Lead to Floyd (1981) ... (teleplay)
- The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1981) ... (written by)
- Never Again... Never Again (1981) ... (teleplay)
- Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1980) ... (written by)
Make it two weeks.

TomMagnumJr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by TomMagnumJr »

Babs was great but Don was by far the best he made the show a hit and after he left the episodes were never as good. Hamilton wrote some very funny episodes and Reuben's were also good. But without Don it never would have been a success he was the perfect writer-producer to make it work as well as it did.

Turkey
Admiral

#19 Post by Turkey »

TomMagnumJr wrote:Babs was great but Don was by far the best he made the show a hit and after he left the episodes were never as good. Hamilton wrote some very funny episodes and Reuben's were also good. But without Don it never would have been a success he was the perfect writer-producer to make it work as well as it did.
A lot of the war & impact of the war on Thomas and the gang faded from the show once he left too, it seems and some of those eps are my favourites
Make it two weeks.