Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I remember there being a good shot of one in an episode where TM reaches into his fridge to get one and breaks an egg or something like that. I was trying to recreate a label at some point and eventually gave up as there isn't a lot to work with.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yes, it wasn't my imagination. It was posted in this thread where Brian was going to try to recreate the label - he gave up too!

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

MaximRecoil wrote:Image

I just need the rest of that label.
BTW, this looks as close to the Coops script as anything I've seen. Nice job!

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MaximRecoil »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I remember there being a good shot of one in an episode where TM reaches into his fridge to get one and breaks an egg or something like that. I was trying to recreate a label at some point and eventually gave up as there isn't a lot to work with.
There isn't enough to go on using screenshots from MPI, at least not from the DVDs. Maybe when the Blu-rays come out there will be. However, the guy who started this thread owns a 6-pack of Coops beer props, and he posted a picture of it. The picture was apparently good enough that J.J. Walters was able to read the text:

"Method developed by our founder J.L. Coops in 1917"

Which you certainly can't do on any screenshot from the show.

The link to the picture he posted is dead though. I'm hoping someone saved it to their hard drive. I PM'd the thread starter but he hasn't replied.
BTW, this looks as close to the Coops script as anything I've seen. Nice job!
Thanks. I used the Simon & Simon screenshot that was posted in this thread as a reference for the "C", and I used the broken egg / keys / refrigerator MPI screenshot as a reference for the "o", "p", and "s". I could draw the script more accurately if I had a higher quality picture of the label, though it is pretty close as-is.

I know that it says "Established 1917" under the Coops text, in some sort of italics script, so I added it to the mockup:

Of course, that's not likely to be the correct style of script, but it will serve as a placeholder until I can get a good picture of the label.

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#20 Post by 1903bluepill »

So this will be strictly used for T shirts ONLY and not to recreate labels on cans or bottles correct?

Sorry if I sound suspicious but I was ripped off in the past once when out of good will I let a "collector" photograph a one of a kind Star Trek TV series piece only to find it being reproduced and sold to another collector as an original for thousands of dollars.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by MaximRecoil »

1903bluepill wrote:So this will be strictly used for T shirts ONLY and not to recreate labels on cans or bottles correct?
That's correct. I don't have the supplies for screen printing on paper or vinyl to make labels anyway. I only have plastisol ink, which is strictly for printing on fabric. And to screen print paper or vinyl properly, you should have a vacuum table ($$$) to hold it in place while you print, as well as very high mesh-count screens. Plus, I would never try to pass a reproduction of anything off as an original; that's a very shady/squirrelly/weaselly thing to do.

A nice, clear, high-resolution (as high as your camera will go) closeup picture of the label would be excellent, and in exchange, if you're interested in having a T-shirt, I'll send you one assuming your picture is usable, and assuming the project is successful, and assuming a size XL fits you (that's the only size I have onhand; but if you want a T-shirt and take a different size, you could send me a blank one and I'd print it), no charge.

Styles Bitchley

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It would be great to just have the design for all to see. I can't imagine there's really much of a market for a Coops original can - so much so that they'd be counterfeited! I'd love to just see the proper label after all these years.

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaximRecoil »

Styles Bitchley wrote:It would be great to just have the design for all to see. I can't imagine there's really much of a market for a Coops original can - so much so that they'd be counterfeited! I'd love to just see the proper label after all these years.
Me too; I'm especially interested in getting a good look at that cartoon owl or whatever it is above the letter "p" in "Coops". I'm surprised that no one saved the picture that he originally posted in 2010. But if he still has the 6-pack and can take a new closeup, high-resolution picture of one label (instead of the whole 6-pack), that would be even better. Because it is on a curved surface, three pictures would be best, i.e., one with the label centered, one with the can/label turned partway from center in one direction, and one with it turned partway in the other direction. I need something high enough quality that I can recreate that owl (or whatever) and the small text in the correct style of lettering.

I think that label would look awesome printed on a black T-shirt with this ink:

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#24 Post by 1903bluepill »

OK, so I'll help getting you the images to make the shirt but they will come in small sections.
I'm reserving the right to retain the complete image with all subtle details to maintain/protect the value of this one of a kind original movie prop. No proof it was ever used on camera as a complete set or as singles but regardless, it's the real deal.
The cans were labeled one at a time and reinstalled into the plastic holder thingy---whatever that's called, for storage.
When it gets sold on Ebay or wherever...the new owner can do with it what he wishes.

Styles Bitchley

#25 Post by Styles Bitchley »

1903bluepill wrote:OK, so I'll help getting you the images to make the shirt but they will come in small sections.
I'm reserving the right to retain the complete image with all subtle details to maintain/protect the value of this one of a kind original movie prop. No proof it was ever used on camera as a complete set or as singles but regardless, it's the real deal.
The cans were labeled one at a time and reinstalled into the plastic holder thingy---whatever that's called, for storage.
When it gets sold on Ebay or wherever...the new owner can do with it what he wishes.
Awesome. Thanks Dude. Can't wait to see the full logo.

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by 308GUY »

In line for a shirt.....if/when they become available. :magnum:

Very "Magnanomous" gesture 1903bluepill....thanks for helping to make it possible.

And MR....please keep us posted on your progress!

I do know what you're up against...I used to work in silkscreen. Did a WHOLE BUNCH of football jerseys! (Among many other things.)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MaximRecoil »

308GUY wrote:In line for a shirt.....if/when they become available. :magnum:

Very "Magnanomous" gesture 1903bluepill....thanks for helping to make it possible.

And MR....please keep us posted on your progress!
I plan to. I'm at a standstill right now because I don't have a picture of the label for reference. If I get the picture, and it's usable, it won't take long to recreate the label in Illustrator. After that, I'll need to buy the metallic gold plastisol.
I do know what you're up against...I used to work in silkscreen. Did a WHOLE BUNCH of football jerseys! (Among many other things.)
I wouldn't want to do sports jerseys; I especially wouldn't want to make all the different screens for each letter and number; potentially 36 screens. Vinyl numbers/letters from e.g., Stahls' (or cut from heat-transfer vinyl sheets on a plotter), applied with a heat press, would be a lot easier, though not as durable as properly cured plastisol ink. They do make specialized lettering/numbering systems to make screen printing sports jerseys easier though.

This Coops label T-shirt will be as easy as it gets, i.e., one color / one screen (the black T-shirt itself will serve as the black for the text and cartoon owl).

I hadn't really thought about selling T-shirts with this design; I just wanted one for myself. But I'll sell one to whoever wants one if the project is successful.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by 308GUY »

I completely understand if you wanted to just do one for yourself, just wanted to make it known that there is at least some interest should you decide to make a few.

Yep, the football numbers were about the worst. More than a few were two colors, so registration always had to be considered, not to mention that you kind of have to think "upside down and backwards".

It was a full scale screen print shop owned and operated by a local sport shop, but they did many things that weren't sports related. Did a few 4 and 5 color prints, where registration was critical, but the art dept. usually did a nice job with the screens.

Anyway, like I said, no big deal if they never become available, but I'm "in" if they do.

I'll even buy my own shirt and send it to you to print if necessary.

Really respect and enjoy reading your posts filled with info on the weapons end of things too. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

I've got a low end 1911 22 cal. for "plinking" that looks very similar to what was shown on screen. Also a SS Taurus in 45 cal. Not a bad pistol, IMHO, but I'm no expert, and I don't put out the "big bucks" for state of the art stuff. I exercise them occasionally, and do the maintenance as required.

Been looking at one in 9mm, but haven't decided yet, as I have a couple other 9mm's already, just not 1911's.

Originally wanted a Colt, but there just were none available locally when I was looking, so ended up with what I've got now. May trade up sometime in the future, but just have to wait and see.

Will watch for updates on the Coops label pic and progress on the prints should it come to fruition.

Thanks for the response. :magnum:

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by MaximRecoil »

308GUY wrote:I completely understand if you wanted to just do one for yourself, just wanted to make it known that there is at least some interest should you decide to make a few.

Yep, the football numbers were about the worst. More than a few were two colors, so registration always had to be considered, not to mention that you kind of have to think "upside down and backwards".

It was a full scale screen print shop owned and operated by a local sport shop, but they did many things that weren't sports related. Did a few 4 and 5 color prints, where registration was critical, but the art dept. usually did a nice job with the screens.
I've only ever done one multi-color print; it was a design my niece asked for. I only have a single-color press (which, of course, has no built-in provisions for adjusting the registration), so multi-color is a huge pain (even though I've sold shirts before, screen printing is mainly just a hobby of mine, not a business). The registration was off on the test print, so I came up with a better method of rigging it so I could remove a screen and put another screen in at the exact same spot (along with making sure the 3 screens were all burned in the exact same relative position). The registration came out perfect on the actual print:

But I wouldn't have wanted to try to print more than one of them.
Anyway, like I said, no big deal if they never become available, but I'm "in" if they do.

I'll even buy my own shirt and send it to you to print if necessary.
What size T-shirt do you wear? I'm pretty sure I only have XL onhand, but between now and then I may order some more shirts.
Really respect and enjoy reading your posts filled with info on the weapons end of things too. Just thought I'd mention that as well.

Thanks.
I've got a low end 1911 22 cal. for "plinking" that looks very similar to what was shown on screen. Also a SS Taurus in 45 cal. Not a bad pistol, IMHO, but I'm no expert, and I don't put out the "big bucks" for state of the art stuff. I exercise them occasionally, and do the maintenance as required.

Magnum, P.I. is what got me interested in 1911s in the first place, when I was 9 years old in 1984. I told everyone I would have one someday. I got my first part-time job when I was 15, making $64 a week working Saturdays and Sundays. I put a brand new Colt Government Model .45 ACP on layaway at the local gun shop, and put every last cent of my $64 toward it each week (it was $479 + sales tax). I still have it, and it's never malfunctioned in any way. I'll never sell it:

A new standard Colt Government Model is $800 to $900 now, depending on whether you buy the Series 80 (AKA: 1991 series) or the Series 70 reissue. That's about on par with inflation, i.e., the $479 I paid for mine in 1990 is $882 today, according to the U.S. government's CPI inflation calculator.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by 308GUY »

MaximRecoil wrote:

What size T-shirt do you wear? I'm pretty sure I only have XL onhand, but between now and then I may order some more shirts.
I generally wear an XL, but it seems to depend on the manufacturer's sizing standards lately.

Just bought an XL today at a gun shop where I was again searching for a 9mm 1911 (01982CCS according to their Colt listing) Called it a "competition" model. The shirt looks a little big, but the large just looked too small, and they are 80 or 90% cotton, so am washing the XL in hot water, then I'll throw it in the dryer and see what I've got! Anyway, had to buy the shirt...the name of the shop is......wait for it........Magnum Get Your Shot On! Here's their logo:

Don't know if it's a one store deal, or if they are a franchise. I looked online, and don't see any listings for the same name store anywhere else. Ever heard of them anywhere else in the country? The shirt is like lime green/yellow with black print on it. A large M in the middle with a 1911"type" pistol up in one corner! I'll get a picture if anybody wants to see it. Didn't get to talk to the owner, but the girl that waited on me was nice :lol: ...if not all that "informed". She did tell me that part of the reason there are no Colt 1911's in the store, is Colt has a deal where the vendor has to put up like $50,000 to carry their product?.....that's what she told me. They can order whatever you want, but they don't carry anything "in stock."

MaximRecoil wrote:A new standard Colt Government Model is $800 to $900 now, depending on whether you buy the Series 80 (AKA: 1991 series) or the Series 70 reissue. That's about on par with inflation, i.e., the $479 I paid for mine in 1990 is $882 today, according to the U.S. government's CPI inflation calculator.
The price she quoted for the Colt 01982CCS was $890, so you are right on target there! They seem to keep their markup small, but some of the prices were still a little "up there", IMO.

I gave around $200 for my .22 1911 (Chiappa="Cheapa! :lol: ...but it works pretty well!) and right at $600 for my SS Taurus 1911. I'd trade in the Taurus for a nice Colt with the proper blue or parkerized finish. But, I'm happy with what I've got. I'll stay on the lookout for the 9mm and/or good price on a Colt .45ACP.

Thanks for the response! :magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.