Quiz

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Quiz

#1 Post by eagle »

Found this earlier today:

http://www.zoo.com/quiz/magnum-pi-quiz

I scored 33/35, and both that I got wrong were guesses.

:magnum:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Quiz

#2 Post by KingKC »

Thanks for posting that link Eagle...that was fun...

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by MHTR »

I also got 33 out of 35. I missed the one about which island they live on. Forgot the first one I missed.

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by Kate Sullivan »

I got 33 out of 35 too! I got Magnum's full name slightly wrong - I thought he was TSM the 3rd not 4th, and the question about where he used to work - I knew it was Naval Intelligence but NIA/NIS weren't in the options so I just made a guess - actually, looking at it again, I made a stupid guess. Doh!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

Kate Sullivan wrote:I got 33 out of 35 too! I got Magnum's full name slightly wrong - I thought he was TSM the 3rd not 4th, and the question about where he used to work - I knew it was Naval Intelligence but NIA/NIS weren't in the options so I just made a guess - actually, looking at it again, I made a stupid guess. Doh!
That first one is one I missed as well. I forget which other one i missed.

Turkey
Admiral

#6 Post by Turkey »

Cool!

Got 32 - can't remember all that I missed, but I chose TSM III and that was one of 'em.
Last edited by Turkey on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make it two weeks.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by steveadl »

33/35 - accidentally clicked NCIS instead of ONI and knew it before it even told me I was wrong :(

Other one I flubbed was his name - I could have sworn he was Thomas Sullivan Magnum III, not IV :( :(

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by steveadl »

hmmm reading everyone else's comments it seems we all thought it was TM III.

IMDB says IV as well, but can we get a definitive answer from someone who has an actual episode reference handy? Perhaps we're getting confused because it's JQH III and that is repeated a lot more than TM's full name?

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by MHTR »

The name. That was the other one I missed. I don't feel so bad now that I know I wasn't the only one.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

It's really interesting that it seems we ALL thought it was TSM3!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumILWU »

Rick didn't get married in the last episode! Higgins did admit he was Robin Masters, then later told Magnum he lied! And I thought he worked for the NIA!
"pickled egg please"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MaximRecoil »

This is the one that I got "wrong":

Without fail, whenever I've taken an online quiz like this, there's at least one question with no correct answer, more than one correct answer, or a wrong answer that's claimed to be correct. In this case, all four answers are correct to one degree or another, with "Selleck wanted one more season" being the most correct (i.e., it was ultimately Selleck's decision, and he did it for the benefit of his co-stars and crew). The author of the quiz deemed "Fan outrage" to be correct, and all others to be wrong. I assume he's getting his information from Wikipedia:
However, following outcry from fans, who demanded a more satisfactory conclusion, an eighth, final season was produced to bring Magnum "back to life" and to round off the series.[citation needed]
Here's what Selleck had to say about it in an interview with Larry King:
KING: Was it a tough show to end?

SELLECK: Yes, it was real emotional. Yes, I had a seven-year deal, which by that time didn't even exist anymore; they were all five-year contracts. So I lived up to my contract, and the head of CBS and Kim LaMasters (ph) and Kerry McClukidge (ph) at Universal both said, Tom, don't announce, we know you're ending it at seven years, but don't announce, you might change your mind. Well, you know, our show was a real family. I knew all our crew, and I knew their families, and I'd come to work every day and everybody would go, what movie is he in? Has he changed his mind? Well, I just caved in about three-quarters. Maybe they were very smart, because "Magnum" -- people should know "Magnum" was not canceled. "Magnum" could have gone for about 15 years, so they wanted every episode they could get, and I just said look, you guys need the plan your life, I kept you in limbo this year, so we did an eighth season.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0007/21/lkl.00.html
Notice that he says nothing about "fan outrage".

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by steveadl »

Totally agree with you on that one Maxim. I jagged the right one, but it was a poor question to ask.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It seems many of us had the same problems on this. I got three "wrong": the one about why they did an eighth season (Selleck wanted to is most accurate I still think), TSM III (even James has IV on the site, and the one about him working for ONI (I selected NIA because I don't think I've ever heard that ONI acronym before - if it just said Naval Intelligence it would have been easier). Noticed some typos in there too, so not really a professional quiz, but fun to do nonetheless.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.