I am a 40yo man and fantasize about being like Magnum

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: I am a 40yo man and fantasize about being like Magnum

#16 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:
bobrobertsxxx wrote:I love the idea of life like it was back in the mid-80s being like Magnum. I have had Magnum fantasies for at least 20 years!!! I am not even kidding. I remember getting flashbacks of episodes watched back in 1995...

- The friendships seem stronger in the past where at best you had an answering machine and there was no Facebook or internet.

- Hawaii looks incredible without crazy overbuilding and high prices and population

- I've been coming to terms with the ONLY thing that matters in life is being happy. Not your dumb job that will probably get outsourced, not your stupid depreciating car or your cookie-cutter house...just relationships and good times with your friend and family in a healthy environment

SO AM I CRAZY???? :(
I think you'll enjoy this thread.
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2419

PS. I just turned 40 myself, and like you, I have a tendency towards nostalgia (which translates from greek as "the pain to return home"). Recently, though, I've realized that one day this time I am living in right now, when my 8 year old daughter adores me, and physically I don't feel any different than when I was in my 20s, this will be a time I feel nostalgic for, so I am trying to savor it now. The best way to do that is to make the most of it make great memories.
Hey Reef Monkey,

That was a fun thread. I just read through it again. Hope your still paddling and diving. I know I am and summer is just getting started. :D

That's a great way to approach life. Not to get too psychoanalytical or dark here, but after my wife's father died at just 45 from melanoma, she and I have taken a very different view of things. He was a SoCal beach kid who spent looong hours making his way up the corporate ladder and was financially set to retire by 50 to enjoy life, he said. We were in our early 20's at the time of his death, and now as I am about to turn 45 myself, I think we have prioritized the right things over the years.

Your right, you have to savor now. You're not guaranteed anything. I sometimes comment to my wife about people recording everything they do and not experiencing it fully in the moment they are doing it. Technology and social media make it so easy to connect with any one, any where, which is not a bad thing at all, but it frequently leads to not connecting with the people you're actually around at the moment. I joke about going to happy hour and most people have their phones on the bar texting with someone not there. Enjoy the company of the people around you, or strike up a conversation with someone you don't know.

My two kids are in high school now and it went fast!!! but we had lots of great times along the way, and hopefully many more ahead. LOL! Sounds like the commencement speeches going on right now. Enjoy your summer!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Re: I am a 40yo man and fantasize about being like Magnum

#17 Post by erock308 »

If your looking for the perfect balance of adventure, friendship, relaxation & lack of technology in your life may I suggest Stock-Class or Pump Paintball!
It defiantly worked for me when I moved to a new place and did not know anyone, the lifelong friends I have met & made over the years are true "buddies"
Besides, it is completely normal to show up to play in a Hawaiian Shirt :magnum:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."