Crossovers you wish had happened?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Crossovers you wish had happened?

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
Lindsay Writer wrote:I would have asked Tom to play Lance White again for a funny episode where Lance is in Hawaii on a case and he has to team up with Magnum. The way Lance always made Rockford look so ridiculous they really should have spun Lance off into his own series in 1978 or 1979 it would have been great but we never would have gotten Tom as Magnum. Lance White was so perfect he was the funniest PI ever.
Now that would have been funny. Another idea would have James Garner as a Lance White type character...............
Love it! Sword Black?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="Lindsay Writer"]I would have asked Tom to play Lance White again for a funny episode where Lance is in Hawaii on a case and he has to team up with Magnum.

Hi Lindsay,
I'd like to join with the other guys and say your above idea is just brilliant, bravo.
Marlboro, I loved the Michael Dunn photo, he was so good in Wild Wild West that
as a kid I always rooted for him, but it seemed to me his tortured soul always shone
through and I wasnt surprised he killed himself.
As for crossovers,
the Maverick episode "Hadley's Hunters" has to be the all time champ, it guested
characters from 4 other ABC Westerns plus Edd "Kookie" Byrnes from 77 Sunset Strip,
if memory serves he combed his hair with a horse's curry comb. That was a in-joke as he
had a hit single "Kookie, Kookie lend me your comb" - and people think current hit songs
are dumb!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#18 Post by marlboro »

I don't think Michael Dunn killed himself. I bet you're thinking of Hervé Villechaize from Fantasy Island.

I really liked Maverick, too. Especially the first two seasons. A Maverick/Magnum crossover might have been even better than the Wild Wild West idea. I would love to have seen a reunion with Garner, Kelly, Zimabalist, and Diane Brewster.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Little Garwood »

marlboro wrote:I don't think Michael Dunn killed himself. I bet you're thinking of Hervé Villechaize from Fantasy Island.
...or perhaps it's David Rappaport; he was excellent in his guest appearances on L.A. Law...
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

marlboro wrote:I don't think Michael Dunn killed himself. I bet you're thinking of Hervé Villechaize from Fantasy Island.
I really liked Maverick, too. Especially the first two seasons. A Maverick/Magnum crossover might have been even better than the Wild Wild West idea. I would love to have seen a reunion with Garner, Kelly, Zimabalist, and Diane Brewster.
Hi Marlboro,
You are right about Michael Dunn, I just looked him up. It seems when he died in London the cause of death was "undisclosed" leading to decades of speculation he killed himself. A later autopsy revealed he died from the myriad health problems he suffered from, never ending painful maladies in spite of which he gave his all to be a working actor(only in America do you see perfectly healthy young men shamefully begging in the street, Dunn would have traded places with any of them in a heartbeat).
Regarding Maverick even some of the post Garner episodes of the last 2 seasons had some gems such as Marshal Maverick, plus the one year reboot in the 1980's was pretty good, as well as the tv movies. I got a kick out of finally seeing what the actor Mike Roads looked like - he was in 2 or 3 episodes - as he was the voice of Race on my childhood favorite, Jonny Quest.
Mike

"If it's the Captain's Mess, let him clean it up".
Bugs Bunny
“I smells carrots a-cookin’ … and where there’s carrots, there’s rabbits”
"Great horny toads, I'm up North! Gotta burn my boots, they touched Yankee soil!"
Yosemite Sam

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#21 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Dallas!

JR vs Magnum :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Little Garwood »

A Magnum, P.I.-Airwolf crossover would have been great. Both were Bellisario creations, both were produced by Universal, and both shows aired on CBS. I know thirteen-year-old me would have loved it and the thought of it now is, to use that oft-used '80s term, "awesome."

~Tom Selleck

Clutterbuck
Ensign

#23 Post by Clutterbuck »

What about ..... MacGyver?
Magnum could meet MacGyver unexpectedly when he is stuck in unfamiliar terrain (desert, snowy mountain peek). I think of something like they could team up and solve the case together with their joined competencies.
Just yesterday one of these long time forgotten episodes crossed my way in the evening tv program and these kind of magic MacGyver moments (crafting a bazooka just with loose iron rods, duct tape and the dust from MacGyver's soles of his shoes :lol: ) still caught me. Now imagine such a scene paired with Magnums raising eyebrows or eye-rolling comment :roll: :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Little Garwood »

A Simon & Simon and Luther H. Gillis crossover would have been fun. I can imagine the Simons' consternation--well, A.J.'s--and Rick's grudging admiration for the East St. Louis gumshoe. Luther's cynical and hilarious Southern California observations would be one of many highlights.

~Tom Selleck

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by MHTR »

My answer to this would be: NONE! The two that were done were two too many for me. I didn't like either one. Well, that may be too harsh, they were okay I guess. I just don't care for crossovers. It's just a way for the networks to get the viewers of one of the shows to start watching the other.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Little Garwood »

I can't let the above threadkill comment be the last word on this fun-to-me topic, so I'll continue by adding that a Magnum-Riptide crossover could have been a lot of goofy fun.

I've always enjoyed crossovers, as the idea of a "shared TV universe" adds another dynamic to the episodic nature of 1960s-1980s television shows. It's appealing to me to know that there is more to a show than just that program's characters. I wish there had been a second Magnum-Simon & Simon crossover, with Thomas journeying to San Diego around the time of, say, season seven. I would have much preferred a second adventure with AJ and Rick than the story we got in the "L.A." episode.

~Tom Selleck

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I would have LOVED to see Commander (possibly Captain) Thomas Magnum show up on J.A.G.!
I'm a Boxley Girl....

ConchRepublican

#28 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:I can't let the above threadkill comment be the last word on this fun-to-me topic, so I'll continue by adding that a Magnum-Riptide crossover could have been a lot of goofy fun.

I've always enjoyed crossovers, as the idea of a "shared TV universe" adds another dynamic to the episodic nature of 1960s-1980s television shows. It's appealing to me to know that there is more to a show than just that program's characters. I wish there had been a second Magnum-Simon & Simon crossover, with Thomas journeying to San Diego around the time of, say, season seven. I would have much preferred a second adventure with AJ and Rick than the story we got in the "L.A." episode.
I agree, crossovers always made me feel like there was a bigger story going on out there.
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I would have LOVED to see Commander (possibly Captain) Thomas Magnum show up on J.A.G.!
That would have been great!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Steve »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I would have LOVED to see Commander (possibly Captain) Thomas Magnum show up on J.A.G.!
There we go!!!!!! :D