What is Magnum's best Shootout?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

What is Magnum's best Shootout?

#1 Post by Rands »

Being a recent member of Magnum Mania, I have seen numerous posts as to favorite episodes, but not a posting concerning Magnum's best shootout(s). I have my opinions, but I'd like to ask the members what is they believe is the best shootout from the 8 seasons of Magnum, and why.

Turkey
Admiral

Re: What is Magnum's best Shootout?

#2 Post by Turkey »

Welcome, Rands :)

I'm struggling to remember many (though it should be easy :D) and the Limbo one comes to mind - it's pretty ace.

One of the times they're in the jungle (or maybe it's a flash back?) and TC and Rick and Magnum are shooting into the jungle from a boat? Higgins is hurt? I thought it was interesting to see the different ways they handled the guns.
Make it two weeks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Turkey wrote:Welcome, Rands :)

I'm struggling to remember many (though it should be easy :D) and the Limbo one comes to mind - it's pretty ace.
Welcome Rands!

I agree with Turkey. The shoutout from Limbo is my winner as well. The tension is palpable, even now.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'm a fan of Way of The Stalking Horse, but I'd give my nod to Limbo.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:I'm a fan of Way of The Stalking Horse, but I'd give my nod to Limbo.
That has to be #2.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,

All good choices. My favourite is the shootout at the end of Missing In Action (S1. ep.9.). The episode features Lance LeGault in a pre "Buck Greene" role. :magnum:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#7 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Mine is also from Missing in Action. But it's when Magnum visits Eric's rundown hotel room. After Eric shoots at Magnum, TM uses a blind technique to clear the room with his pistol. Not a police technique, but definitely used in house to house fighting in combat. Very well done.
Faith and Begorrah!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumILWU »

Basket Case! Magnum vs TC, one on one. I know, I know! But they are shooting baskets!
"pickled egg please"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

Is the infamous "Did you see the sunrise" ending considered a shootout? I still love that one............

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by steveadl »

I'd have to say Limbo as well, definitely the most dramatic and suspenseful.

I can't think of one off hand, but I'm sure there may have have also been a shootout which was a little light-hearted or even humorous with a joke thrown in. But perhaps I'm making that up? Not necessarily always shootouts as such, but I always laughed when TC flew out of a situation with another bullet hole such as the ambush on the remote island, the expression on his face is priceless like he knew it was coming. (Can't recall episode title off hand)

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I'm kind of partial to Mad Dogs and Englishmen. :higgins:
I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

The one from "Limbo" hands down. It was fantastic.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Rands »

Being the member who started this thread, I would like to give my opinion as to what are my "best" Magnum shootouts.

In the Eighth Part of the Village, when the situation is most desperate and it appears that both Higgins and Sato Osawa are about meet their respective makers, Magnum and TC fly over the Main House at Robbin's Nest, and after a brief social engagement, neutralize the threat. In the firefight, both Magnum and TC are both level headed and cool under fire, with Magnum saying "Closer TC, closer!". Threat neutralized, friends saved, and now it's Miller (or better said Coops) time!

The shoot out in the episode "Memories are Forever, 2", is very intense. Magnum is literally fighting for both his and Michelle's lives, and in a very remote way dealing with his enemies of the past, namely the communist Vietnamese. Magnum saves the day, but loses the girl. The episode sets up several more episodes, to include "Limbo", "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts", "Pleasure Principle" and "Unfinished Business". Several excellent armed confrontations exist in that lineage alone!

A few more are "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, 2", and "China Doll", as both set Magnum as a toughened character, willing to use deadly force to "stop the threat", and not playing by society's rule set. These two episodes help establish Magnum as both the good natured individual, and strong as iron veteran.

There are several more episodes that are worthy of mention, and I'll try to comment on them as they become available on my viewing schedule!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Let's not forget about the "Alamo-style" shootout in the main house at Robin's Nest in Season Seven's "On the Fly"! There were several fatalities, complete with rare slow motion kills and a destroyed 1st edition O. Henry book! Kind of a brutal episode all around actually -- In addition to the Robin's Nest shootout, T.C. and "Mac" are shot and hospitalized, Magnum gets whiplash, and the Island Hoppers Vanagon is shot-up with automatic weapons fire! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Turkey
Admiral

#15 Post by Turkey »

J.J. Walters wrote:Let's not forget about the "Alamo-style" shootout in the main house at Robin's Nest in Season Seven's "On the Fly"! There were several fatalities, complete with rare slow motion kills and a destroyed 1st edition O. Henry book! Kind of a brutal episode all around actually -- In addition to the Robin's Nest shootout, T.C. and "Mac" are shot and hospitalized, Magnum gets whiplash, and the Island Hoppers Vanagon is shot-up with automatic weapons fire! :shock:
Wow, I don't remember this episode - will have to re-watch it over the weekend, sounds huge :)
Make it two weeks.