MPI WALLET PROP SET

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MPI WALLET PROP SET

#1 Post by sctcarts »

I wanted to show off the work I did in creating a full wallet prop set for MPI. I did this for myself, and wound up making some for a bunch of guys in a prop forum I'm a member of - so I was able to go all out on production. Below is a list of what's in the set, and then some pics of the wallet and all the stuff. I had a blast putting this prop set together, and creating all the detail in the documents, all of which were created by me based on information from the show, other Magnum fans, and a good prop buddy who's a Lt. in the Los Angeles PD. I recreated or created all the artwork, as well as all the print specs. Anway, here's the details, hope you like it! :D

-RED DIVER DOWN VELCRO WALLET - tried to get as close as I could to the early Season 1-2-3 wallet, but it doesn't have the blue interior in the money section.

-MAGNUM DRIVERS LICENSE - Based on screen shots of the prop used on the show, with a back filled in based on the actual Hawain drivers license. Laminated.

-MAGNUM PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR LICENSE - Based on what little is seen on screen, the rest is conjecture based on similar type documents. Front and back detailed. Laminated.

-MAGNUM SOCIAL SECURITY CARD - Based of documents of the era, detailed with info from the show. Front and back detailed

-MAGNUM CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT - No PI is allowed to carry a weapon without the proper clearance, and this document is based on real CCP's used in California and Hawaii. Information based on what is known from the show.

-MAGNUM NAVY ID - Based on real era documents, with Magnum's info and a navy photo of TM. Front and back detailed. Laminated.

-T.C.'S ISLAND HOPPERS BUSINESS CARDS - Based on show info and logo art. Real business card printing.

-RICK'S KING KAMEHAMEHA BUSINESS CARDS - Based on show info. Real printed business card.

-SHORTY'S AUTO BODY & REPAIR BUSINESS CARDS - Based on info contributed here! Real printed business card.

-MAGNUM BUSINESS CARDS - Based on shots of TM's "matchbooks", with gold foil printing. Info is based on the screen shots of the "matchbook" prop. Real printed business card.

-$2 - These are Ellis Props movie dollars, similar to the style used on the show. These are recreations of the actual money props I own.

-WALLET PICTURE SET - Wallet photos of TM and the Ferrari, TM and Higgins, TM and TC, a vietnam photo of TM, Rick, TC, and a photo of Michelle. Printed on top quality photo paper.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Well Done sctcarts. I especially like Magnum's business cards. Awesome. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Magnum92
Captain

#3 Post by Magnum92 »

Awesome work sctcarts!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by sctcarts »

Thanks guys! If anyone's interested, I could do more of these. They run $50 a set with all the printing costs and the wallet cost. Shipping runs $3 US, $5 international.

I'll add an interest list on the first post if anyone would like one. Just PM me.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, wow! :shock:

That is out-of-this-world fantastic sctcarts! Great job! Welcome to the site!

I love the "11435 18th Ave" on the drivers license. The place Magnum NEVER goes! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Oh, wow! :shock:

That is out-of-this-world fantastic sctcarts! Great job! Welcome to the site!

I love the "11435 18th Ave" on the drivers license. The place Magnum NEVER goes! ;)
Maybe it's Felix Fong's office, and its the license he had BEFORE he moved to Robin's Nest?

:wink:

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by sctcarts »

I wondered the same thing myself. It's the address given on the screen used license. I mapquested it and it's actually only about 3 and half blocks away from Kapiolani Community College, which is next to the Hawaii Film Studios where all the interiors were shot. Maybe it was a production office location?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a Magnum PI 'wallet' set, which came with a wallet, id card, and team ring. Man, I wanted that thing so bad. :lol:

This stuff looks fantastic, sctcarts! I would love to take advantage of your offer, but I know for a fact that my misuse of the props would eventually lead to my arrest. :lol:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

Top quality work there, I'm impressed. :D

And two dollars... that seems about right for Magnum. Anyway, if he carried more Rick or TC might try to collect.

MBJR9
Commander

#10 Post by MBJR9 »

Awesome! That's so cool!

In real life, the 18th Ave address is right by the Diamond Head Studios.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

Wow I'm impressed. One thing, TM carried a picture of Mac with TM and his date from Luau Louie's taken on the night Mac was killed. This picture is referenced in "Mac's Back".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

I deleted the post.James doesn't have a problem with his post.
Last edited by Sam on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

rubber chicken wrote:Top quality work there, I'm impressed. :D

And two dollars... that seems about right for Magnum. Anyway, if he carried more Rick or TC might try to collect.
Maybe he was thinkin' about TM's lucky $2 bill with his birth date in the serial number.

I dunno, seems if the guy had this stuff made up and wants to sell it on ebay, there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. it's even been suggested I sell the Al's Automotive patches on Ebay. I say if he did this because he's a fan it's okay. If he did it ONLY for money, then it ain't (in the words of Rick Wright).
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Waltstasz
Admiral

#14 Post by Waltstasz »

That's amazing! :shock: Looks great.

I wouldn't worry about the ebay thing - he didn't post a link or anything and it seems like everybody enjoyed seeing it. Just my .02. *shrugs*

Not that there is anything wrong with pointing it out either :)
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by sctcarts »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't put up this info to make money. I made this set as a huge fan of the show. It also happens that I went through alot of work putting this together (getting business cards made, creating all the documents, etc.), so I had multiples of things, and I had interest from some fellow prop enthusiasts on making them available to other fans. I did the work, so I made 'em available. I have extras from doing it, so I figured I'd put 'em up for auction. Didn't mean to rumple any feathers if I did.