The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1366 Post by Pahonu »

Fat Jack wrote:
KENJI wrote:
I don't remember seeing an actual separate website for Pahonu, just the standard listing info that you normally see.
Does anyone remember seeing one?
Funny you should mention this...just found this last night. Sorry if it has been posted here before. It's obviously not a website, but I assume Mary Worrall/Sotheby's must have hired the company, Slick Pixels Hawaii: http://vimeopro.com/hiep/41505kalanianaole

It kinda' makes me sad :(
Thanks for posting! It's that music that's making you sad. It sounds like some of the music in "Little Miss Sunshine". Definitely melancholy stuff. I'm actually feeling happy that there's a real shot Pahonu will be restored. It may not look identical to the Magnum PI years when complete, but then I'm pretty sure the home looked different in 1933 too. It seems as though it might get the restoration needed after so many years of neglect. I know a lot of people weren't happy when Obama's name got linked to it, but I could care less who bought it. As long as they put up the money to restore it and it isn't razed and turned into condos or something else tragic like that, I'm happy. Too many other historic homes have met worse fates. To be honest though, I was beginning to feel like it was turning into a "Grey Gardens" type of situation, if you're familiar with the story in that documentary. That estate was eventually restored and looks beautiful today, so there's hope! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1367 Post by KENJI »

steveadl wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:
Funny you should mention this...just found this last night. Sorry if it has been posted here before. It's obviously not a website, but I assume Mary Worrall/Sotheby's must have hired the company, Slick Pixels Hawaii: http://vimeopro.com/hiep/41505kalanianaole

Brilliant video! JJ any chance you can download it and add to MM site?
Doc and JJ,

That would be great on the MM site.....when you have time. :)
A drone would've definitely taken this footage, too bad it didn't fly through the breezeway, but they avoided taking close up footage of the structures for obvious reasons.

Nice find Fat Jack.....that has to be the site (or at least part of it) that Mary mentioned in the article.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1368 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:I can't remember if we have seen these exact documents before so I'll post them anyway....apologies if someone else has posted them. I know we've touched on the subject, but there is too many posts on this thread to find it. There is a GREAT drawing/map of Pahonu that is similar to the one that RG found and posted. Enjoy! I know Pahonu will!!!

http://files.hawaii.gov/dlnr/meeting/su ... 4/D-21.pdf
Kenji, you know me too well. The new surveyor's map is exactly what I needed...ten years ago. :lol: When I think of the time I spent trying to put all the pieces together over the years...oh boy! On the plus side, it confirms much of my work as accurate. The only thing left on my wish list would be actual floor plans of the structures. Dare I hope?

More changes need to be made to the model now, especially regarding the rear courtyard of the main house and courtyard behind the garage. I also saw the video from Fat Jack. I'm assuming it was a drone flyover. It showed me several mistakes on my model at the rear of the main house. I'm going to have to start a list. :D

These documents are very interesting. Thank you! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but they indicate the seawall is actually an encroachment on state land based on the mean high tide line which has moved between .5 and 1 foot further up the beach since 1949! They say only the pocket of beach where the seawalls jut in remain as sandy beach, and even that is under water at the highest tides. I can only imagine how wide the beach was in 1933 when the house was constructed.

The end result is that, because the seawalls were built prior to 1964, they can remain for now with a 55 year easement granted. That does allow the state to possibly reclaim the land in the future, though.

Glad you liked it Pahonu! I had bug eyes when it first appeared on the screen :shock: just incredible!
Looking forward to your new additions!!!
Maybe Marty can get an indefinite extension on that easement....he does have the right connections. :wink:
I think with global warming, the threat of higher sea levels will help with keeping the wall in place, maybe even seeing it grow in height to match the section closest to the house. It would look ugly, but it would prevent a lot of property damage.
Time will tell.

I vaguely remember the map/drawing that RG discovered showing the wider beach/land that you mention above.
It's in this thread, not sure what page.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1369 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
KENJI wrote:I can't remember if we have seen these exact documents before so I'll post them anyway....apologies if someone else has posted them. I know we've touched on the subject, but there is too many posts on this thread to find it. There is a GREAT drawing/map of Pahonu that is similar to the one that RG found and posted. Enjoy! I know Pahonu will!!!

Kenji, you know me too well. The new surveyor's map is exactly what I needed...ten years ago. :lol: When I think of the time I spent trying to put all the pieces together over the years...oh boy! On the plus side, it confirms much of my work as accurate. The only thing left on my wish list would be actual floor plans of the structures. Dare I hope?

More changes need to be made to the model now, especially regarding the rear courtyard of the main house and courtyard behind the garage. I also saw the video from Fat Jack. I'm assuming it was a drone flyover. It showed me several mistakes on my model at the rear of the main house. I'm going to have to start a list. :D

These documents are very interesting. Thank you! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but they indicate the seawall is actually an encroachment on state land based on the mean high tide line which has moved between .5 and 1 foot further up the beach since 1949! They say only the pocket of beach where the seawalls jut in remain as sandy beach, and even that is under water at the highest tides. I can only imagine how wide the beach was in 1933 when the house was constructed.

The end result is that, because the seawalls were built prior to 1964, they can remain for now with a 55 year easement granted. That does allow the state to possibly reclaim the land in the future, though.

Glad you liked it Pahonu! I had bug eyes when it first appeared on the screen :shock: just incredible!
Maybe Marty can get an indefinite extension on that easement....he does have the right connections. :wink:
I think with global warming, the threat of higher sea levels will help with keeping the wall in place, maybe even seeing it grow in height to match the section closest to the house. It would look ugly, but it would prevent a lot of property damage.
Time will tell.

I vaguely remember the map/drawing that RG discovered showing the wider beach/land that you mention above.
It seems granting the easement was simply the proper legal way to permit the seawalls to remain on what is, after all, public land. The documents site damage to neighbors property as well as Pohunu's main house if removed, so granted the easement, but removal is apparently the usual requirement!

Fat Jack
Captain

#1370 Post by Fat Jack »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Time will tell.

It's page 110 of this thread: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=1090

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1371 Post by KENJI »

It's in this thread, not sure what page.[/quote]
It's page 110 of this thread: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=1090[/quote]

That's the one Fat Jack! Thanks!!
Have a look Pahonu.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1372 Post by Steve »

Fat Jack wrote:
KENJI wrote:
I don't remember seeing an actual separate website for Pahonu, just the standard listing info that you normally see.

I never saw that before, what an incredible video! Thanks for posting, a must see by all of us............

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1373 Post by KENJI »

Sam just sent me this great footage of the same hike I did last year.....well worth doing and what a view of Pahonu and the surrounding area!

Thanks Sam for sharing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-9dtO-Lvg

Fat Jack
Captain

#1374 Post by Fat Jack »

KENJI wrote:
I will bet anyone that someone in Marty's inner circle will buy him a MPI Hawaiian Shirt for Christmas!!!

http://www.mauishirts.com/junglebird.html
He already has one, Kenji. Looks like Marty's feeling right at home already!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1375 Post by KENJI »

Well done Fat Jack.....too funny!!! :lol:

Derek
Commander

#1376 Post by Derek »

Thanks for posting! It's that music that's making you sad.
Yes, but even without music, it is a bittersweet sensation. Too much daydreaming, I guess :)
I could care less who bought it.
Yep, it's just a "some rich guy buys expensive property" situation, which happens often in Hawai'i, I assume :)
However: Even in the series, Robin was the actual owner, but who were the main characters? ;) Just a thought... Then again, maybe I'm just envious :lol: And of course, what I said only holds if you assume that Higgins is NOT Robin...

I agree that it is good to see the property is not being razed or split. Hope to see it again.
I know what you're thinking. And you're right.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#1377 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
Fat Jack wrote:
KENJI wrote:

I never saw that before, what an incredible video! Thanks for posting, a must see by all of us............
Same here, I never saw this before either. It's beautiful, exciting and melancholy all rolled together.

It's strange the attachment I feel to a place I've never been yet feels like a memory when I see it. I feel like there's been a tipping point reached, almost like when a young fiery love reaches that point. Do we go on, cooled and for the distance, or do we burn out, holding the embers of the fires that were in the scrapbook of then.

Pahonu held a place not unlike being trapped in Amber. A place out of time, yet time kept passing, inflicting the damage of it's inevitable passage. Our hopes of "what if" were kept unreasonably afloat, but they provided dreams.

Thomas will never shift gears aggressively down that unpaved path again, Higgins steaming at his tardiness . . . Or some other affected slight.

No rock walls will be jumped in friendly fashion, no guests of the Pierage nor aviation hospitality industry shall be boarding

The lads have barked their last.

But, there is a place. A place where Ferrari's are still bright red, where the palms bend with the morning breeze and the Empire stills holds a little sway. Where Americans are bright and bold and vulgar and vulnerable. Where loyalty, honor and friendship matter.

It's where we make it.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1378 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:It's strange the attachment I feel to a place I've never been yet feels like a memory when I see it. I feel like there's been a tipping point reached, almost like when a young fiery love reaches that point. Do we go on, cooled and for the distance, or do we burn out, holding the embers of the fires that were in the scrapbook of then.

Pahonu held a place not unlike being trapped in Amber. A place out of time, yet time kept passing, inflicting the damage of it's inevitable passage. Our hopes of "what if" were kept unreasonably afloat, but they provided dreams.

Thomas will never shift gears aggressively down that unpaved path again, Higgins steaming at his tardiness . . . Or some other affected slight.

No rock walls will be jumped in friendly fashion, no guests of the Pierage nor aviation hospitality industry shall be boarding

The lads have barked their last.

But, there is a place. A place where Ferrari's are still bright red, where the palms bend with the morning breeze and the Empire stills holds a little sway. Where Americans are bright and bold and vulgar and vulnerable. Where loyalty, honor and friendship matter.

It's where we make it.
This.

I have a thought, and I'm not quite sure where to put it on the site, so this is probably as good a place as any.

I can't quite articulate just why it is that I love "Magnum, p.i." Watching it transports me someplace, and that place isn't Hawaii per se, since I have never been there. It's a place that is "right" even if it isn't truly "real" to me. Maybe it's the camaraderie of Thomas, TC, and Rick. Maybe it's the Robin Masters Estate. Maybe it's the Ferrari. Maybe it's the women. My wife doesn't understand my love for the show, but she tolerates it.

I, too, feel a strong attachment to this place I have never seen or visited, and to these fictional people I will never meet.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1379 Post by KENJI »

Well said Conch!

The changing of the guard puts an interesting spin on things. It will be interesting to see how any changes to Pahonu will change how we feel about the place. Sometimes it is hard to accept change, but with everything in life, change is inevitable. I think we should be happy that it's being saved and given a second chance. At the end of the day, Pahonu is a home and not a museum, so we need to change our attitude towards what is coming (good or bad). I wish the Nesbitts all the best with Pahonu's next chapter and thank them for stepping up to save this special place.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#1380 Post by Doc Ibold »

KENJI wrote:Well said Conch!

The changing of the guard puts an interesting spin on things. It will be interesting to see how any changes to Pahonu will change how we feel about the place. Sometimes it is hard to accept change, but with everything in life, change is inevitable. I think we should be happy that it's being saved and given a second chance. At the end of the day, Pahonu is a home and not a museum, so we need to change our attitude towards what is coming (good or bad). I wish the Nesbitts all the best with Pahonu's next chapter and thank them for stepping up to save this special place.
I agree. There was a time when we thought it would be subdivided and destroyed forever, and now that looks like it won't be the case. That would have been the true tragedy, rather then whomever owns it and their political affiliations.

I, for one, hope the Nesbitts can restore Pahonu to as much of it's former glory as they can. And while it may not be the same as our memories (truth be told - it really hasn't been for years), at least it still exists.

-Doc