Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by 1903bluepill »

I've had these for years. Note the dent on the can on the left. Thats because due to corrosion of the aluminum under the label the can has leaked and is no longer pressurized. Most are semi full and must be handled gently. I tried to remove one from the plastic tab and the can started to crush.
As was standard practice then and still is, dummy /prop beer was made using cans of near beer or ginger ale. Printed paper or very thin vinyl was used for the label material. I tried to peel back a corner of one of the labels to see what brand is underneath but can't get it to budge without destroying it.

Rol--

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool! :)

"Method developed by our founder J.L. Coops in 1917"!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

My exact comment when I saw the picture:

"oh . . . DUDE!!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Coops »

My wife remembers when I used to have a six-pack.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by only looking »

Bring on the longnecks!!! :D
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Kimbosan
Captain

#6 Post by Kimbosan »

Is it me or are the picures somewhere else.....1903bluepill are the picures on the post ????

signed...confused kimbosan???? :?:
Kimbosan

Carmen
MPI

#7 Post by Carmen »

My wife remembers when I used to have a six-pack
LOL
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That is awesome!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Truly awesome. I'm thirsty. :wink:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

Re: Pic of Coops beer 6 pack !!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I was watching Simon & Simon last night and noticed that they use the same Coops prop beer. This is from Season 3, Episode 7 "Caught Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" (November 10, 1983).

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

1903bluepill
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by 1903bluepill »

Yes, it is the same label just printed in brown or copper rather than black.
I'll post another pic of the 6 pack later as I could not open the file/pic on my original post.
I've got a possible/maybe line on some of the Old Dusseldorf bottles also. Hope to have them and post pics in the next 3 months.

OK, Tried to attach images and can't figure out how---old school here...it's got to be simple
Last edited by 1903bluepill on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I never noticed the Coops on Simon and Simon, and I don't recall ever seeing the Old Dusseldorf bottle just a reference to the beer.

Styles Bitchley

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I never noticed the Coops on Simon and Simon, and I don't recall ever seeing the Old Dusseldorf bottle just a reference to the beer.
This is the only instance I've noticed. And yes, I don't think we ever saw a bottle of Old Dusseldorf.

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MaximRecoil »

1903bluepill wrote:I've had these for years. Note the dent on the can on the left. Thats because due to corrosion of the aluminum under the label the can has leaked and is no longer pressurized. Most are semi full and must be handled gently. I tried to remove one from the plastic tab and the can started to crush.
As was standard practice then and still is, dummy /prop beer was made using cans of near beer or ginger ale. Printed paper or very thin vinyl was used for the label material. I tried to peel back a corner of one of the labels to see what brand is underneath but can't get it to budge without destroying it.

Rol--
Did anyone save the picture(s) that "1903bluepill" posted? I've been looking for a good picture of the Coops beer prop label, because I want to recreate it and silkscreen print it onto a T-shirt. It must have been a good picture if J.J. Walters could read "Method developed by our founder J.L. Coops in 1917" on it.

By the way, recreating stuff like this for screen printing is my specialty, as long as I have a good quality source to work from. I make everything as exact as possible; i.e., for text if I can't find a matching font I draw the letters manually. For example, I drew this based on the Simon & Simon screenshot posted in this thread, combined with a screenshot from MPI:

That's just a rough draft. If I had a good quality picture of the label I could recreate the whole thing (and make the "Coops" text more accurate as well). Ideally, I'd screenprint it in gold metallic plastisol ink onto a dark brown or black T-shirt. That should recreate the reflective properties of the label as seen in MPI ...

... which was also printed with metallic ink. Metallic ink has fine metal powder mixed into it which makes it somewhat reflective. It can only be applied with traditional printing processes such as silkscreen or offset. Those modern direct-to-garment (DTG) printers, which are just specialized inkjet printers, as used by online custom T-shirt places like CafePress.com, can't do it.

I've screenprinted a lot of T-shirts, and this would be an easy one to do if I could only get a good picture of the label to get started.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MaximRecoil »

I just need the rest of that label.