TV PIs by decade - Request for suggestions!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

TV PIs by decade - Request for suggestions!

#1 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

If Rockford epitomizes the classy anti-hero of the 70s, and Magnum epitomizes the casual/slacker hero of the 80s, what of the 90s and 2000s? Any suggestions (and hopefully available on Netflix)?

Suggestions don't have to involve the PI genre, but preferably not in the cop show genre.
Last edited by MagnumsGMTMaster on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: TV PIs by decade

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

I would add Joe Mannix as the detective of the "Silent Majority" during the tumultuous late Sixties-early Seventies, as he imo reflected their beliefs, concerns, and represented the way the "Greatest Generation" would hope to be.

I've said before--and only partially in jest--that if the founder of this website had been about ten years older than he actually was, this site might have been called "Mannix-Mania."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: TV PIs by decade - Request for suggestions!

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Hercule Poirot? Aside from Agatha Christie's sleuth, no one else really jumps out from the 90s . . . which I'm sure says something about the decade, I'm just not sure what.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by MHTR »

ConchRepublican wrote:
no one else really jumps out from the 90s . . . which I'm sure says something about the decade, I'm just not sure what.
It tells me that's when TV started going downhill (and just about everything else in the world).

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#5 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

The only TV detective show that I can even remember from the 90s was Land's End from 1995 starring Fred Dryer, Geoffrey Lewis, Tim Thomerson and Pamela Bowen. It lasted 20-some episodes, was set in Cabo San Lucas and was equal parts drama and comedy. I loved it. And then poof. It was gone. You can't even find it on DVD or much about it online really. I've always hoped they would release it on a special DVD set like they did Tales of the Gold Monkey. But that seems unlikely as it was shown at midnight on some obscure channel. It probably never got noticed much less a chance at a following.

Here's the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d24BFzLzkdo

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Little Garwood wrote:I would add Joe Mannix as the detective of the "Silent Majority" during the tumultuous late Sixties-early Seventies, as he imo reflected their beliefs, concerns, and represented the way the "Greatest Generation" would hope to be.

I've said before--and only partially in jest--that if the founder of this website had been about ten years older than he actually was, this site might have been called "Mannix-Mania."
It very well may have! Love Mannix! :)

Adrian Monk for the 00's.

90's I have no idea. Eric T. Duckman, perhaps?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumILWU »

In the late 90's there was a short lived show called, Buddy Faro! It stared Dennis Farina. Mike Hammer, Private Eye in 1997. Veronica Mars in the early 2000's!
Last edited by MagnumILWU on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumILWU »

Little Garwood wrote:I would add Joe Mannix as the detective of the "Silent Majority" during the tumultuous late Sixties-early Seventies, as he imo reflected their beliefs, concerns, and represented the way the "Greatest Generation" would hope to be.

In 1968, there was also a show called, The Outsider, with Darren McGavin. It didn't last long, but it was the precursor to The Rockford Files! A down on his luck PI, who had spent time in prison, on a false charge, and was pardoned. Didn't make much money, got beat-up a lot,but was a good investigator.
"pickled egg please"

Robert
Lieutenant

#9 Post by Robert »

MHTR wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
no one else really jumps out from the 90s . . . which I'm sure says something about the decade, I'm just not sure what.
It tells me that's when TV started going downhill (and just about everything else in the world).
I believe the final straw for me in how far the genre fell in the 90's was a TV Mike Hammer film I saw maybe 10 minutes of.

I was flipping through channels and saw it and thought, naturally of the Stacy Keach incarnation.

nope.

Some really young guy, might have been Rob Estes, come to think of it, dressed like Magnum and working in Miami Beach rather then NYC. and Pat Chambers was a creepy mannish woman.
And no, didn't bother remembering the title, sorry.