KICKSTARTER for Robin's Nest?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: KICKSTARTER for Robin's Nest?

#16 Post by KENJI »

ClayMannPi wrote:I'll be the first to say I don't think this will work... But if it's a year or 10,20 years from now I'm watching them rip down the house I'm going to look back and be glad I was able to find a few Magnum fans that I was able to try something. If I'm looking back when that day comes thinking I didn't do anything ... Well, that would suck.
I'll read more carefully again what the last reply was but I'm all for doing something over nothing. I don't care if it fails.
Let's get a plan going. I'm going back to Hawaii in April, and I'll do a walk thru if no one can before. I know a couple guys(met thru a friend last trip) who know the owner so I'd have a few months to see if I can get in the estate. Or I can go thru realtor.
We have manetti and his radio show. He can maybe get selleck,cbs. There is turtle bay on the island that has the chopper, they probably would back it or something maybe. The state of Hawaii might help as well.... I really have no idea. Do any of us? I think that's why we should do this. Let's get some answers.
Glass if half full
Hi ClayMannPi,

I welcome your enthusiasm, but unless you have the money needed to buy the estate upfront you will not set foot on the grounds - period. You will be preapproved by the realtor and then your financial info will be passed on to Eve who will also check it and then decide if you are worthy of a visit. Assuming you jump all three hurdles (have the cash, realtors and then Eve) you will have the opportunity to tour the gatehouse and the grounds nothing more. Main house is off limits and the boat house is not being shown either due to poor condition (most likely unsalvageable). I know it sounds strange, but Eve is VERY private and has had her fill of us fans. I'm sure if you mentioned you were one or she caught wind of it, the front gate would not open for you. If you read more of the earlier comments on this thread and the Pahonu thread you will note the place will need millions in repairs and understand why Eve doesn't want anyone in the house. If you are that passionate about it, go for it, but the numbers ($$$$$) are going to make it a tough journey. All the best!
Last edited by KENJI on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by 308GUY »

Here's the email address LM lists on his site to contact him. I have used it in the past and did get a response. Whether or not it was actually from him, is subject for debate.

info@larrymanetti.com

KENJI has summed things up pretty well. If that doesn't deter you from proceeding....have at it.

I fully understand your comment about looking back from the future and beating yourself up for not having at least tried. This project is kind of on the same level with going to the moon.....yea, it can be done...but not easily, not cheaply and not alone.

Stiff upper lip and all that, if there is something that can be done to help, speak up and you never know till you try. "If man were meant to fly...he'd have been born with wings." Remember, the world was flat at one time..... :higgins:

Don't mean to crush anyone's dreams, but we are kind of reaching for the moon here......didn't say it can't be done....only that it would take some fairly "miraculous" things to take place in order for it to happen. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#18 Post by sascha2000 »

Sorry I did write some non-sense

"And perhaps we can setup a spendenkonto for the project ..... just to get a basic financial background."

Should mean "And perhaps we can setup a donations account for the project ..... just to get a basic financial background".

@KENJI, who is Eve?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Eve Anderson owns the properts for many decades.

I admire your courage but I suggest, that you are reading the entire Pahonu thread before going further.

Research and knowledge will be point 1 on your agenda and there are many knowledgable guys here.
Even if you raise the cash for the property, make sure that you have an idea hiw to raise the annual tax ( wasn't it 70k p.a?) for it.

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#20 Post by sascha2000 »

@Bondtoys.de --> wasn't it 70k p.a?

I think if we can get 10 Mbugs, we'll find a way. I have done in background a rough estimation what could be if we convert it in a hotel. I think 70k on the costs side are manageable. If we have 5 rooms, suitable hotel rooms, on the 2nd floor and if I now think that each room is booked on 200 days a year for 200$ a night I got 200 000$. Of course taxes, other costs not included. However this calculation shows it'll be manageable including salary for a hotel manager.

@all:

Yesterday I wrote an e-Mail to the seller. Tomorrow we'll see if he/she will answer.

midnightx
Commander

#21 Post by midnightx »

KENJI wrote:
ClayMannPi wrote:I'll be the first to say I don't think this will work... But if it's a year or 10,20 years from now I'm watching them rip down the house I'm going to look back and be glad I was able to find a few Magnum fans that I was able to try something. If I'm looking back when that day comes thinking I didn't do anything ... Well, that would suck.
I'll read more carefully again what the last reply was but I'm all for doing something over nothing. I don't care if it fails.
Let's get a plan going. I'm going back to Hawaii in April, and I'll do a walk thru if no one can before. I know a couple guys(met thru a friend last trip) who know the owner so I'd have a few months to see if I can get in the estate. Or I can go thru realtor.
We have manetti and his radio show. He can maybe get selleck,cbs. There is turtle bay on the island that has the chopper, they probably would back it or something maybe. The state of Hawaii might help as well.... I really have no idea. Do any of us? I think that's why we should do this. Let's get some answers.
Glass if half full

Hi ClayMannPi,

I welcome your enthusiasm, but unless you have the money needed to buy the estate upfront you will not set foot on the grounds - period. You will be preapproved by the realtor and then your financial info will be passed on to Eve who will also check it and then decide if you are worthy of a visit. Assuming you jump all three hurdles (have the cash, realtors and then Eve) you will have the opportunity to tour the gatehouse and the grounds nothing more. Main house is off limits and the boat house is not being shown either due to poor condition (most likely unsalvageable). I know it sounds strange, but Eve is VERY private and has had her fill of us fans. I'm sure if you mentioned you were one or she caught wind of it, the front gate would not open for you. If you read more of the earlier comments on this thread and the Pahonu thread you will note the place will need millions in repairs and understand why Eve doesn't want anyone in the house. If you are that passionate about it, go for it, but the numbers ($$$$$) are going to make it a tough journey. All the best!
I understand the difficult aspects and conditions of this listing, but unless an investor knows for certain that it can tear down the main house and subdivide the property into various lots (which apparently is not yet known based on local zoning politics), a prospective buyer is going to want access to the main house if he or she is spending upwards of $10 million.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by KENJI »

midnightx wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Glass if half full

Hi ClayMannPi,

I understand the difficult aspects and conditions of this listing, but unless an investor knows for certain that it can tear down the main house and subdivide the property into various lots (which apparently is not yet known based on local zoning politics), a prospective buyer is going to want access to the main house if he or she is spending upwards of $10 million.
I agree with you, but at this point there is no access inside and probably one of the main reasons (next to the high price point ) it is still unsold. It's Eve's place so she sets the rules on trying to sell it. I'm sure the listing agents are frustrated with having their hands tied on certain points, but Eve is their client and they have to respect her wishes otherwise she will find an agent who will. I'm sure they have been peppered by us with requests to view the place and now see why Eve has put her foot down. It's a unique listing on many levels and will take time to sell.

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#23 Post by sascha2000 »

So far I did not get any reply from the seller. So you were right, until we don't have the bugs they don't speak with us.
However at least a a short answer on the questions I had is not too much effort for them.

For me the selling company looks untrustworthy, until I get a qualified unswer.

For example I asked about the condition of the building if there is fungus in the walls, of from which material the water pipes are made (could be lead or at least soldered with lead). And I asked for a ground/floor plan. Those are naturally questions which can be answered without riscing the privacy of Eve ......

This looks for me like thy don't really want to sell, or they got something to hide.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I am not really surprised that you did not receive a reply.

The house is not object of the offer - it's the property alone - so all questions about the house will raise some eyebrows.

ClayMannPi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by ClayMannPi »

Seems like sascha had some good simple questions.
I think reality may be hitting me now.... Oh well, I hope it's still there in April when I go. Is like to see it once more

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#26 Post by sascha2000 »

@Bondtoys.de

How you come to the conclusion that only the property but not the house is for sale?

Look at this site:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/41-50 ... 5637_zpid/

I read:

41-505 Kalanianaole Hwy, Waimanalo, HI 96795
5 beds7 baths11,054 sqft
For Sale
$10,700,000

.... and

Floor size: 11,054 sqft

So 5 Beds and 7 baths should be part of the building, cause they cannot be sold without.

Anyway an answer from the seller is not too much ........

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I suggested to read the Pahonu thread.

Mrs. Anderson wants to keep her privacy, the object of the sale is mainly the property and not the house.
If someone from Germany asks only questions about the house - they won't bother to reply.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by KENJI »

Hi Sascha2000,

The house is included in the price.
Read the Pahonu thread to understand more of what we are talking about and it will all start to make more sense to you. Eve is in no rush to sell so she is in the driver's seat with this sale.
If you open up your wallet with the required funds, then Pahonu's door might open up for you to ask about the pipes etc.. No money, no real answers. If this was just an ordinary home you would be right to say that the seller is being difficult and possibly hiding something, but Pahonu and the owner are not ordinary and privacy is everything. Over the years she has had people climb over the fence and trespass, loads of people peeking inside the fence and taking pictures of her private home and asking her all sorts of questions about Magnum PI. I think she is entitled to answer your questions (or any buyer) when you show her proof that you are a legitimate buyer and not just another fan who is intruding on her private space. The flip side to what you said about the seller hiding something and being untrustworthy works for the buyer too....if you have the cash show it and she might begin to feel some trust towards you (or any potential buyer) which in turn will open up the dialogue that you are looking for.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need the funds first to get the ball rolling on this project. It's a unique listing what else can I say.

sascha2000
Lieutenant

#29 Post by sascha2000 »

Hello KENJI,

thank you for your answer.

>The house is included in the price.
Good!

> Eve is in no rush to sell so she is in the driver's seat with this sale.
OK

>If you open up your wallet with the required funds, then Pahonu's door might open up for you to ask about the pipes etc.. No money, no real answers.
It may be like that .....

>If this was just an ordinary home you would be right to say that the seller is being difficult and possibly hiding something, but Pahonu and the owner are not ordinary and privacy is everything.

Ok

>Over the years she has had people climb over the fence and trespass, loads of people peeking inside the fence and taking pictures of her private home and asking her all sorts of questions about Magnum PI. I think she is entitled to answer your questions (or any buyer) when you show her proof that you are a legitimate buyer and not just another fan who is intruding on her private space.

Ok this is a good hint. I will send another request where I try to clarify this. Just to show the seller (maybe Eve) that we are interrested in a real analysis and not in something else ...

>The flip side to what you said about the seller hiding something and being untrustworthy works for the buyer too....if you have the cash show it and she might begin to feel some trust towards you (or any potential buyer) which in turn will open up the dialogue that you are looking for.

Ok, you're telling ... I need bigger guns.

Thank you for your valuable answers. Because I don't know the culture of such environemnts in the US I need a bit help.

Regards
Sascha

midnightx
Commander

#30 Post by midnightx »

A "real" buyer is going to get information about the house, possibly access to it. KENJI is correct; if the realtor can confirm a buyer has the funds and/or the financing, access will likely be granted. No prospective buyer is going to invest upwards of $10 million without inspecting the grounds and structures. If Eve truly has no intention of granting that sort of access, it is highly unlikely that she will ever receive an offer. Even an investor looking to develop the land will want access to the property and the structures so that a thorough inspection can take place.