Magnum on Cozi

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Magnum on Cozi

#1 Post by MHTR »

Hi everyone,

I recently started to get Cozi TV. I'm just curious, do they cut out scenes to fit in more commercials like most other stations do?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum on Cozi

#2 Post by Steve »

MHTR wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently started to get Cozi TV. I'm just curious, do they cut out scenes to fit in more commercials like most other stations do?
Cozi does show he edited versions, if you have Encore Classic they show the original, uncut versions without commercial interuptions.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

My understanding is these networks contract the "retro" series already edited to meet the syndicated advertising markets needs. For example, a regular first run hour series may have 44 minutes of show with 16 minutes allocated for commercials (rough guesses). Syndication requires more commercial time so they my cut it it down to 42 minutes to gain more commercials which pay less per half minute, or however they sell syndicated air time.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:

My understanding is these networks contract the "retro" series already edited to meet the syndicated advertising markets needs. For example, a regular first run hour series may have 44 minutes of show with 16 minutes allocated for commercials (rough guesses). Syndication requires more commercial time so they my cut it it down to 42 minutes to gain more commercials which pay less per half minute, or however they sell syndicated air time.
Hi MHTR and Conch,
Conch is right on the money, however I find there is one exception and that is ANTENNA TV.
My cousin is a big fan of Here Comes the Brides(ran 2 years, 1968 & 1969) and since for some reason the first year of Brides, on DVD, costs anywhere from $400 to $900, she had me tape the first season for her. On ANTENNA, I zapped the commercials as I taped, leaving generally 51 to 52 minutes of content. I assume the 52 must be the same content as what was run in 1968.
I can't understand why they choose to make less money than other stations do, by not editing to make room for more commercials. Whether they do that with all their series, I don't know.
I'm hoping they start running Magnum so we get more content.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#5 Post by Dave Anderson »

I love the 4 hours of Magnum on Cozi every Thursday night, there's just something special watching it on TV with thousands of others at the same time, even if parts are cut out. That said, you need to get all the DVD's of the series if you're a fan. Just make the investment and you won't regret it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

Dave Anderson wrote:I love the 4 hours of Magnum on Cozi every Thursday night, there's just something special watching it on TV with thousands of others at the same time, even if parts are cut out. That said, you need to get all the DVD's of the series if you're a fan. Just make the investment and you won't regret it.

Here, here..... 8)

I don't get Cozi, just Esquire on Wed. mornings, 3 episodes, but the experience is the same. I also agree with the suggestion to get the entire series on disc, but I'm fairly certain, most here already have it!

BTW, Weclome Dave Anderson, always good to see new folks joining in, I'm pretty new myself, great group of people here, best moderators, and great site. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MikeS
Admiral

#7 Post by MikeS »

308GUY wrote:I don't get Cozi, just Esquire on Wed. mornings, 3 episodes, but the experience is the same. I also agree with the suggestion to get the entire series on disc, but I'm fairly certain, most here already have it!
Me too, only get to watch Magnum on Esquire, wonder if DirecTV will climb on board with Cozi??? I know about Encore but don't want to spend even more, already bangin on $100 bills for mostly crap - reruns & reality. DirecTV just changed HUB to DFCH, before I could watch Step by Step for a few laughs, now I can watch how to make a gallon of paint or some other such docu-science-reality show, they were for a time somewhat interesting, now simply redundant and boring.

Speaking of 3 episodes, I've been apprehensive as to how Esquire was going to wrap up the series, at 3 each week the 2 part finale was going to be a 2 week affair unless they run 4 eps the last week...

Oct. 05 ... 8.4, 8.5, 8.6
Oct. 12 ... 8.7, 8.8, 8.9
Oct. 19 ... 8.10, 8.11, (8.12, 8.13 - Resolutions 1&2)

We'll see :?:

This brings up another Esquire twist with Magnum P.I., there's been a few -> day of the week changed, time of day changed, dark for a month or so then resumed series... Anyway, I look ahead in my guide about 72 hours to autotune Magnum (around Monday) so it will come on auto-magically. On Monday I checked the 4am episode to autotune, nothing after ep 3 (8.6), until today...

Esquire is running again ep1.1 - ep1.7 starting at 9am (Oct. 05) - that is to say they appear to be starting the series over from the 2 part pilot thru to 1.7 (Never Again... Never Again) - before wrapping it up the first time. HUH!

The DirecTV internal guide is screwwy so it wouldn't be impossible for it to be a mistake and be gone from the guide by 9am, again - we'll see :?
MikeS

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

Dave Anderson wrote:I love the 4 hours of Magnum on Cozi every Thursday night, there's just something special watching it on TV with thousands of others at the same time, even if parts are cut out. That said, you need to get all the DVD's of the series if you're a fan. Just make the investment and you won't regret it.

There is indeed something comforting that you are watching with others. Some of us on here probably go all the way back to when A&E broadcast Magnum twice a day and posted on their very active message board. That beget the Yahoo message boards and those both beget this wonderful site created by James!!!!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

I saw today that CoziTV was running the "Magnum on Ice" episode(season 3 episode 8 -1986) of Murder She Wrote, which was a continuation of a Magnum episode(I forget which, I would go look it up but I have to go shortly and shovel snow from the NorthEaster we are getting hit with).
CBS did well with these stunt crossovers between its series back in the day, pairing Magnum with Murder She Wrote and Simon and Simon.
Perhaps the Universal owned COZI could do a 'Magnum Crossover Nite' some thursday and pair the Magnums with the Simon and Simon/Murder She Wrote episodes, as they are all Universal owned series?
If this was brought up before I either dont recall or didnt get to all the threads as yet.
Frankly I was always annoyed this crossover business was done as the attempt to make each episode a 'stand alone' falls short and one would have to go to a lot of trouble to see both episodes of the storylines.
I for one would enjoy seeing Conch host a crossover night, adding in bits of trivia.
I only saw the last 20 minutes of todays Murder She Wrote, but I believe in a scene where Higgins receives a box of valuables, "Jessica" calls him Magnum, unless I heard wrongly.
Okay, I'm off to battle the Drifts, I enjoy shoveling late at nite, its totally silent from the blanket of snow and beautiful and peaceful plus throw in a thermos of hot toddy for the body, sweetened with Pinch and alls right with the world.