MAGNUM PI REPAIR GARAGE?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MAGNUM PI REPAIR GARAGE?

#1 Post by sctcarts »

Hi all, I'm new here - love this site and have become a Magnum fanatic! My parents watched the show when it originally aired and I remember watching it with them as a kid, so the series, aside from being a great show, brings back alot of memories.

I'm curious, was there ever a name given to the garage Magnum frequently had the Ferrari at for repairs? And what was the name of the mechanic?

Looking foward to taking part in the community here!

-sctcarts

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

Welcome to the site! I think it was Island Hoppers....and the name of the mechanic was T.C.! (at least in one episode!)

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by sctcarts »

Ha! Yeah, for alot of them it was. I'm thinking about all the times Higgins had the Ferrari tuned, or there was major body damage. Anyone? Anyone?

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Miss Q »

Hi and welcome....

I honestly dont remember is being mentioned in any eposide, it was just a given there was one..
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: MAGNUM PI REPAIR GARAGE?

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

sctcarts wrote:I'm curious, was there ever a name given to the garage Magnum frequently had the Ferrari at for repairs? And what was the name of the mechanic?-sctcarts
Welcome to the site sctcarts. I'm sure I haven't included all of the Ferrari mishaps, but this may help.

1. "Missing In Action" (Season 1) TC tuned the Ferrari and voided the warranty.

2. "All Roads Lead To Floyd" (Season 1) The Ferrari was hit from behind and the rear bumper was severely damaged. Rick had his friend Angelo repair it for $2,500.

3. "Lest We Forget" (Season 1) Magnum was run off the road and he called TC who diagnosed the problem as a "busted transmission." I am assuming TC fixed the car himself as there was no other reference to the repair.

4. "The Black Orchid" (Season 1) Bullet hole through the Ferrari windscreen. Although a work order from a body shop was produced and referred to, there is no mention of the name of the body shop who replaced the windscreen.

5. "Try to Remember" (Season 2) Ferrari pushed off a cliff. Although Rick and TC speak to one of the mechanics at the body shop, there is no name given. Magnum also speaks to the same mechanic when he picks up the Ferrari, but again, no name of the mechanic or body shop is given.

6. "Forty Years From Sand Island" (Season 3) The Ferrari's brakes failed causing Higgins to crash the Ferrari. The mechanic who worked on the Ferrari had a German accent and wore a white lab coat and was named Victor.

7. "Birdman Of Budapest" (Season 3) The Ferrari's windscreen sustains a large hole from a shotgun blast by Ms. Roebuck. There was no mention of the name of the body shop who replaced the windscreen, but Magnum was given an extra $500.00 for damages to the Ferrari.

8. "A Sense Of Debt" (Season 4) TC wrecks the Ferrari while trying to avoid Leon and his daughter while chasing pigs. No reference as to who repaired the Ferrari.

9. "Torah, Torah, Torah" (Season 5) The Ferrari is sandwiched between two trucks in a plot to steal the Torah. No reference as to who repaired the Ferrari.

10. I don't remember the episode or season, but I recall an episode where the Ferrari is damaged and Magnum tells the tow truck driver to take the car to Shorty's (I think). I believe the driver says something like "you want to take this car to Shorty's." I think this is one of the later episodes, maybe season 5 through 7.

So, we have Angelo, Victor, TC and I'm almost positive about Shorty's. I'm sure there are other Ferrari crack-ups that I am forgetting, especially in seasons 6 through 8, but that is all that I recall off hand. Hope this helps.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: MAGNUM PI REPAIR GARAGE?

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

Thought of another one. In "One Picture Is Worth" (Season 7) the muffler falls off of the Ferrari. The shop it was taken to is Milo's Muffler Shop. I guess you could add the automotive shop on Magnum's red & white "Tigers" cap, Al's Automotive and Muffler King. However, I don't recall that the Ferrari was ever taken there.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#7 Post by sctcarts »

Man, thanks for all the info guys! That was quick. The reason I'm asking is I'm working on a prop wallet of Magnum stuff as a personal project for myself and a few buddies.

I'm a props artisan for a living, so it's a cinch to create stuff for myself.

I've got the red "diver down" wallet, his Driver's License, a P.I. license, Social Security Card, Navy ID (reserve, as the Navy never let's anyone just walk away, as we all know from the various times TM was reactivated), a concealed weapons permit, a pic of him and TC, a pic of Michelle, a 'Nam photo, TC's Island Hoppers buisness card, a King Kamehameha Club card from Rick, and $2 (prop movie money made by Ellis Props and used on the series).

I'm currently working on a business card for TM (even though I'm pretty sure we never see one in the show) and a business card for the repair shop, hence the questions. Thanks for your info, I'll share pictures when I finish my set!

-sctcarts

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

sctcarts wrote:I'm currently working on a business card for TM (even though I'm pretty sure we never see one in the show) and a business card for the repair shop, hence the questions. Thanks for your info, I'll share pictures when I finish my set!

-sctcarts
sctcarts,

I don't remember seeing a business card for Magnum either, but in "Dream A Little Dream" (Season 4), he did advertise on a match book/box of matches. That is how Cindy Pickett's character found him. She referred to him as a "match book P.I." I think there is a close up of the match book/box of matches. You may want to try to duplicate that, or even incorporate it into a business card. Just a thought. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by grapeshot »

I think Magnum does have business cards. I have a recollection of seeing him hand one out, but I can't think which episode it may have been in. And it isn't a strong recollection, either, so I could be wrong. Whether or not my recollection is correct, I can't imagine that Magnum would not have several of his business cards in his wallet, just in case he runs into a prospective client.

I can also well imagine that he keeps several phony business cards, just in case he has a sudden need for an alias. Maybe they're not even phony cards, just cards he's kept for that purpose.

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by higgybaby1 »

The garage that Magnum actually references is in season seven, in the episode is "photo play." The garage is Lefty's not Shorty's.
OH MY GAWD!