Oahu Visit

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tralfaz
Admiral

Oahu Visit

#1 Post by Tralfaz »

Here are a few shots from my whirlwind 4 hour Magnum Tour.

Island Hoppers (Research Pier)

Anderson Estate

Silliness (Remember the Game from the Black on White?)

Byodo-In Temple used in several episodes

Marks Estate (King Kamehameha Exterior)

Has seen some renovations,particularly a repaint to an off-white. Road marker is gone as well.

Lighthouse in Faith and Begorrah

"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

Ooooh! These are FANTASTIC! What a wonderful way to start the new year! Thanks so much for posting. I probably will never get to Hawaii, but if I did, a Magnum tour would be exactly what I'd want to take, so this is marvelous!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

Re: Oahu Visit

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

Great photos Tralfaz. Thanks for posting those. Looks like a great trip. Dig the Island Hoppers t-shirt. I've got the same one from cafepress.com.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Mack
Commander

#4 Post by Mack »

AWESOME! Thanks for posting the great shots Tralfaz. Looks like the sand has receded some at the estate beach. When I was there last, the sand was all the way up to the chain link gate(not at the boat house). Great shot of you with the cigar and game. :D
Hana Hou!

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Where did you get the game? Or whats the name of it? I want one! :wink:

foggydayz
Commander

#6 Post by foggydayz »

Thanks Tralfaz! those are great pics from a lot of different angles that i haven't seen before. cool shirts too, you get right into character :D . that swimming shot looks straight out of a magnum episode.

great tour!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#7 Post by golfmobile »

Wow! Great pictures! Of you and the scenery! LOVE that you have the right clothes! The estate looks slightly better than in others' pictures, where it's been looking rather rundown lately, it seems. But the badminton net is still up? Or . . . back up.

Tell us more about your trip. How long were you there? Where did you stay? Did you visit only Oahu? More Hawaii travelogue, please.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, great pics Tralfaz! Thanks!

The Marks Estate looks completely different with that new paint job.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Sam »

Lt...I found two of the games listed on ebay,they are called TomyTronic Pac-Man..

http://search.ebay.com/TomyTronic-Pac-M ... 0PacQ2dMan

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Oahu Visit

#10 Post by Sam »

Thanks,great pictures.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#11 Post by Tralfaz »

Hello All,

My (now) wife and I were in Hawaii for 12 days, though the majority was spent on Maui. We went over to Oahu for 2 days to get married (we found a Minister there we liked, a bit more 'Eastern' in thinking and a child of the sixties....and not such a 'Cookie Cutter' type of ceremony like most of the providers on Maui)

We had the Ceremony in the evening of the first day on the North Shore, and after sleeping in and breakfast the next - took the quick tour.

Couple Notes.

I was suprised that you could snoop/wander around about half of the research pier. (We saw a few turtles swimming around, wish we had brought our snorkle gear from Maui)

It was also interesting to see how close the Pier is to the Estate. It is easily seen (with detail) when wading in the Tidal Pool.

Not Sure the deal with the Estate, given the time of year ( 12/29 ) I would have expected that if anyone was there that there would have been some indication. Everything was shut tight, no cars, etc. We had the place to ourselves, right as we arrived a friendly Hawaiin family was getting ready to leave.

I have to thank Emily (the wife), she was almost more excited than I to see me enjoying my visit.

I actually only came across the Parrot shirt a couple days before in a shop in Paia on Maui, and decided "why not".

The Valley of the Temples was quite cool (particularly given it is a cemetary... not the usual vacation fare). The Koi in the Byodo-In pool are Huge! There were also a pair of black swans.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing, and you have one heck of a gal there, a real keeper. My wife wouldn't let me wear my parrot shirts to the Estate (I have two in red and two in black),said it would just be too much, but I did get a way with wearing my parrot shirt in yellow I found on E-Bay a couple of years ago and some khaki shorts. Turned out we were the only ones there anyway, we were even the only car parked in the parking lot of the park down the road when we went.
The shot of you with the portable Pac-Man is a classic, really cracked me up. I'm still waiting for a shot of someone holding their wife/girlfriend in the water kicking.....

Steve
Chicago

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#13 Post by SelleckLover »

Awesome pics Tralfaz! Really enjoyed seeing them. Makes me want to go over there for a week or two sometime in the near future! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#14 Post by golfmobile »

Steve,

When Larry and I were in St. Thomas a couple of months ago, I tried to get him to hold me like that and ask a tourist on the beach to film us with our video camera -- and HE WOULDN'T DO IT (Larry, not the tourist)! Can you imagine??? Of course, we weren't in the tidal pool . . . but it was the ocean and we had snorkel gear. But I just asked him, right now, tonight, and he said he WOULD do it if we were actually AT the tidal pool.

I'm "little" enough but I don't have much of a keester (both Larry and I are the "buttless wonders." How two people with such flat butts ever found each other . . . . but we both have GREAT legs!!)

Or is James going to censor this and say I'm telling more than anyone really wants to know????

AND, Steve, I think if I saw some other tourist there at the tidal pool and HE was wearing the parrot shirt, I would think I'd found another "soulmate" Magnum fan! And it would make me much more willing to approach him and share and laugh with him/her/them. I have shirts for Larry but he won't wear them, but I also have a "blouse" in the fabric for myself, and if I ever get there, I'll certainly wear it. Now how much fun would it be to see a male and a female both in the parrot shirts? If you all ever get there and see a guy who looks like Lewis Grizzard and a little blonde and both are wearing parrot shirts -- ask them if they're golfmobile!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Mack
Commander

#15 Post by Mack »

Thanks for the tip Sam. I just placed a bid on one of the Tomy Tronic's. I always wondered what game that was. :o
Hana Hou!