Any Magnum P.I. novels

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Any Magnum P.I. novels

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Lar wrote:The MPI collector in me is seriously wants to pick up a (cheap) copy of the 2nd Bowdler book, even though I'd have no way to read it (though I draw the line at paying $400, or anywhere near that, for Mau'i Mystery).
I've looked on ABE (generally the best place to find rare books) and there's nothing regarding the English version of the Bowdler book. Might be worth contacting the publisher. I've seen a few threads around the net talking about picking up the Maui Mystery book for under ten bucks. I'm sure there are copies sitting around that can be had for cheap. I doubt the market is actually big enough to pull in the prices they're advertised at on Amazon and ABE.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#32 Post by Kwai Bridge »

The "Maui Mystery" costs $495 both on B&N and Amazon. Couldn't find anything on eBay.

Is it really worth so much? :?

Lar
Captain

#33 Post by Lar »

Kwai Bridge wrote:The "Maui Mystery" costs $495 both on B&N and Amazon. Couldn't find anything on eBay.

I refuse to believe it's worth anywhere near that. Then again, the LJN MPI action figure regularly brings in exorbitant amounts of money on Ebay, so...?
The Northeast Ohio Video Hunter: http://neovideohunter.wordpress.com/

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

Lar wrote:
Kwai Bridge wrote:The "Maui Mystery" costs $495 both on B&N and Amazon. Couldn't find anything on eBay.

I refuse to believe it's worth anywhere near that. Then again, the LJN MPI action figure regularly brings in exorbitant amounts of money on Ebay, so...?
And that's the exact reason I never wanted to go the route of "collector" . . . it gets crazy fast.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by steveadl »

Lar wrote:

Does anyone know if it actually sold for that price though?

Back when I was following it on eBay it was only the 1 guy trying to sell it, and his reasoning for the price was because he needed that money for his college course. Hardly a good way to estimate a collectibles worth.

If no-one has ever bought it for $400+ - then is it really worth that? Same with the book. Who knows....lol

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by KENJI »

steveadl wrote:
Lar wrote:

Does anyone know if it actually sold for that price though?

Back when I was following it on eBay it was only the 1 guy trying to sell it, and his reasoning for the price was because he needed that money for his college course. Hardly a good way to estimate a collectibles worth.

If no-one has ever bought it for $400+ - then is it really worth that? Same with the book. Who knows....lol
It reminds of a house in Hawaii that was listed for $15,750,000 and then dropped the price to $10.7 million.
List price is one thing, but selling it at that price is another. A some point the price will match what someone will pay. In these cases, the book and the house will being sitting a little longer. :wink:

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#37 Post by Lindsay Writer »

I used Google translate for the book page it went from German to English in half a second but some words don't translate accurately. You can click below and see the whole site in English:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by KENJI »

Well done Lindsay!!!!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#39 Post by Styles Bitchley »

A little more clarity on the pilot book in English. It appears that there were two versions published.

The first was a paperback, published by Mayflower in 1981 (ISBN 13: 9780583135160). There isn't much info on Mayflower, but it appears that it was a paperback imprint by Granada Publishing in the UK.

The second was published as a hard cover in 1985 by Severn House Publishers Ltd also in the UK (ISBN 13: 9780727812070).

It seems strange, but it looks like this novel was never marketed to a US audience.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.