The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1141 Post by Pahonu »

midnightx wrote:I don't think the value has been hurt by a television show that ended over 25 years ago. No multi-millionaire or wealthy land developer is going to lose sleep over upsetting some Magnum PI fans if the house is torn down. The reality is that the interior is a "gut" and it is unlikely that anyone buying the property is going to want to dump potentially millions into reviving an old, outdated home. The real value here is the land. It would seem that most potential buyers are not looking at this listing because of the main residence and what it has to offer; they are looking at this listing because of the land and its potential.

Additionally, the way most of us Magnum fans view the house is not based on reality. We all know that sets were used to represent the interior; we are holding on to a false representation of what the living quarters of the house truly represented. That said, a lot of the charm that Robin's Nest offered fans was not only the memory of the Magnum interior sets, but the beautiful grounds. Robin's Nest was the whole package, but it wasn't real. Still, it is very sad to know that such a magnificent property deteriorated in such fashion and that the residence (regardless of the fact that it is not a representation of what fans would like to remember from the show) ended up in such disrepair that it is a "gut." Robin's Nest represented a wonderful, fantasy outlet for so many fans; it was a way to escape and spend a few minutes every episode imagining life in such a special place. It is sad to see the end of the Anderson Estate; it was one of kind.
You're right on about the land being the real value. Like I said, I'd wager it's going to be purchased by a developer and subdivided into several multi-million dollar homes. I don't think there is any chance of it being designated historic, and that it what saved several similar properties I have mentioned in previous posts, like the Adamson House in Malibu, or the Casa Del Herrero in Santa Barbara.

I also agree that most Magnum fans know the property as Robin's Nest, which means the studio sets used for the interiors. My story is a little different. Back in the 80's when Magnum PI was still on the air, I also used to watch Hawaii Five-O. I would tape episodes that were on in the daytime so I could watch them later, and I quickly came to realize the home was used in several episodes of that show as well. I began to sketch the layout of the real home as many of its interiors were shown. Next came hand drawn plans and elevations, and much later AutoCAD drawings, and a few years ago, the SketchUp model. The internet, with so many photos and video clips, sped up the process dramatically. It's been nearly thirty years since I first sketched the estate. :shock:

I hope you get a chance to see the model. I estimate the exterior dimensions and details are 95-98% accurate, and the interior 60-65% accurate. Sadly, there are a few rooms that simply have never been shown, and no blueprints have ever surfaced. That would be a dream come true. I can't tell you how many times fans on this forum have asked about how the sets would fit into the actual structure, both the main house and guest house. I knew in the 80's it wasn't even close to possible. Maybe because of that I began to appreciate the actual home, and the tile and wood and wrought iron detailing it includes. To be honest, and this may be unpopular with many on the forum, I think the sets created for the show are not as beautiful as the actual home's interiors would have been in its glory days. I've imagined many times what life would have been like on the estate before WWII, such an idyllic setting. I have become a huge fan of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, partly because of Pahonu, and I have to say I am probably more sad than most that the home is likely to be razed. :cry:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#1142 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:
midnightx wrote:I don't think the value has been hurt by a television show that ended over 25 years ago. No multi-millionaire or wealthy land developer is going to lose sleep over upsetting some Magnum PI fans if the house is torn down. The reality is that the interior is a "gut" and it is unlikely that anyone buying the property is going to want to dump potentially millions into reviving an old, outdated home. The real value here is the land. It would seem that most potential buyers are not looking at this listing because of the main residence and what it has to offer; they are looking at this listing because of the land and its potential.

Additionally, the way most of us Magnum fans view the house is not based on reality. We all know that sets were used to represent the interior; we are holding on to a false representation of what the living quarters of the house truly represented. That said, a lot of the charm that Robin's Nest offered fans was not only the memory of the Magnum interior sets, but the beautiful grounds. Robin's Nest was the whole package, but it wasn't real. Still, it is very sad to know that such a magnificent property deteriorated in such fashion and that the residence (regardless of the fact that it is not a representation of what fans would like to remember from the show) ended up in such disrepair that it is a "gut." Robin's Nest represented a wonderful, fantasy outlet for so many fans; it was a way to escape and spend a few minutes every episode imagining life in such a special place. It is sad to see the end of the Anderson Estate; it was one of kind.
You're right on about the land being the real value. Like I said, I'd wager it's going to be purchased by a developer and subdivided into several multi-million dollar homes. I don't think there is any chance of it being designated historic, and that it what saved several similar properties I have mentioned in previous posts, like the Adamson House in Malibu, or the Casa Del Herrero in Santa Barbara.

I also agree that most Magnum fans know the property as Robin's Nest, which means the studio sets used for the interiors. My story is a little different. Back in the 80's when Magnum PI was still on the air, I also used to watch Hawaii Five-O. I would tape episodes that were on in the daytime so I could watch them later, and I quickly came to realize the home was used in several episodes of that show as well. I began to sketch the layout of the real home as many of its interiors were shown. Next came hand drawn plans and elevations, and much later AutoCAD drawings, and a few years ago, the SketchUp model. The internet, with so many photos and video clips, sped up the process dramatically. It's been nearly thirty years since I first sketched the estate. :shock:

I hope you get a chance to see the model. I estimate the exterior dimensions and details are 95-98% accurate, and the interior 60-65% accurate. Sadly, there are a few rooms that simply have never been shown, and no blueprints have ever surfaced. That would be a dream come true. I can't tell you how many times fans on this forum have asked about how the sets would fit into the actual structure, both the main house and guest house. I knew in the 80's it wasn't even close to possible. Maybe because of that I began to appreciate the actual home, and the tile and wood and wrought iron detailing it includes. To be honest, and this may be unpopular with many on the forum, I think the sets created for the show are not as beautiful as the actual home's interiors would have been in its glory days. I've imagined many times what life would have been like on the estate before WWII, such an idyllic setting. I have become a huge fan of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, partly because of Pahonu, and I have to say I am probably more sad than most that the home is likely to be razed. :cry:
I had no idea your obsession went back that far! It would be cool to see some of your early sketches.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

midnightx
Commander

#1143 Post by midnightx »

Pahonu wrote:

It would be great to view some of your work; it is a fascinating home. Is it safe to assume that Ms. Anderson has not lived in the main house for a number of years? If it is truly a "gut" down to the plumbing and electrical, one can assume that house has gone unoccupied for quite some time and that is a reason for it deteriorating beyond repair. Considering she has other alleged residences in Hawaii, perhaps Pahonu is not a piece of property she spends much time at? I know some posters suggested she may live in the guest house near the gate, but didn't the realtor confirm it is currently a rental? On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time an older person ceased to continue upgrading a residence and let it fall into disrepair while living there. Even with financial resources, order people sometimes find the size of larger residences to be too much to handle.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1144 Post by KENJI »

Eve does live in the main house with her animals and other "stuff". Last I heard the gate house is not being rented out.
Loads of people Band-Aid electrical/plumbing issues and still live in their homes, but for someone to pay close to $11 million, you know the Band-Aids are coming off or even worse, the house is coming down. The salt in the air and humidity will have done a number on both the wiring and the pipes, hence they are past their "expiry date"....not worth fixing anymore.....take it all out and start again.
I know the place has a cesspool that is probably on its last legs too......I'm guessing it will be somewhere between all the buildings, maybe where the gang was digging in The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u.....poor Higgins and his Granda Flora Queen Elizabeth's. That won't be a fun job to do! There will be a lot more excavating and trenching to connect all the buildings with new pipes.....it will look like a war zone out there! I bet current code standards will make the job even more difficult and costly too!!

ptran4
Ensign

#1145 Post by ptran4 »

Pahonu raises some very interesting points about the estate. I also always thought that the sets used for interior scenes were quite plain compared to the grandeur of the exterior and grounds. For instance, didn't the bookshelves in Higgins' study appear rather cheap and poorly made? If only Ms. Anderson had insisted as a condition of filming that all interior scenes that were supposed to be at the estate were actually shot at the estate and any and all set decorations were to become property of the estate at the end of filming. She even could have negotiated the construction of TM's pad were it was supposed to be located.

In my dream world scenario, I would purchase the estate for around 8 million and put another 2 million or so into renovations. Since the main house (by all accounts) is a total gut I would remodel the floor plan to resemble Robin's Nest as best possible. Obviously some rooms would be different due to load-bearing walls and columns and actual dimensions of the structure but it is not unreasonable to think that Robin would have updated the home (including moving walls or adding onto it) in the 30+ years since the beginning of the show. Future renovations would include moving as much of the boat house exterior as possible to construct a new guest house near the garage area. The odd layout of the exterior stairs could even be slightly explained by the guest house's proximity to a new swimming pool. :D

As for the decorations of the rooms, I wouldn't really want to make it a time capsule of the show. Sure the study could have a model of the bridge over the River Kwai but do we really need a darkroom anymore or to make reproductions of the drapes seen in the show? After all, I could totally imagine Higgins pulling a book on the shelf to reveal a video surveillance wall of the entire estate or have remote access where he could close a glass door to the wine cellar just as Magnum approaches. The video below gives a great example of how the the estate could be restored and updated while keeping it faithful to its Spanish colonial style. The restoration could even be documented on a season of HGTV.

http://youtu.be/uHojuZNWB54

So for about 10 million I would have an awesome beachfront home on Oahu that would remain a tribute to a show I grew up loving.

Pahonu

#1146 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

I had no idea your obsession went back that far! It would be cool to see some of your early sketches.
Hey Styles,

I actually still have a folder of those old sketches and hand-drawn plans! I haven't looked at them in a long time, but here's what I remember. I started with the interior of the guest house, and struggled to figure out how it fit in the actual boat house. This is, of course, because it doesn't. It's not even close, and that seems to be a disappointment to many fans. When I began working on the main house, I started with drawing the exterior instead. Two of the four facades are shown frequently. The seawall side is shown less, and the rear was just a couple of glimpses. To be honest, I never spent much time on the main house interiors, because I knew they weren't actually going to fit in the real house. The majority of the effort was trying to get the exterior dimensions as accurate as possible. As I taped Hawaii Five-O episodes, I began to draw the actual home's interiors and try to fit them in. This was obviously much more successful than the guest house attempt.

When I joined this forum several years ago, I had the chance to compare my drawings to the real thing. Members began supplying me with photos from both shows, pictures they had taken, and the tax record sketch, which confirmed my dimensions as being very accurate. I was actually quite surprised at that. That's when I began creating the SketchUp model in earnest. With all that new information, changes happened quickly. Now, I hardly touch the model. Unless someone provides some new information or photos, there isn't much left to do other than guess. When the property maps were posted a couple of months ago, I realized the dimensions of the lot were less accurate, than the structures. It's just too much work to alter the property dimensions now, so that's where it stands.

There are really only two areas of the exterior of the structures that I am not certain of. Both are in the rear of the main house. One is the reverse side of the garage wing where it attaches to the house in the kitchen area. The other is the interior corner of the second floor terrace of the master suite by the sea wall, inside the rear courtyard. The gate house is accurate. The boat house is accurate. The interiors are a whole other story. Only two of the five upstairs bedrooms have been shown on H5O, and none of the bathrooms, though i know where they are all located. There are also two sitting rooms that have been shown on the second floor. Downstairs, two of the three rooms in the ell by the sea wall have been shown, the stair hall, a glimpse into the dining room and kitchen, and the entry. I know there are two half baths and a trunk room located by the entry, but none have been seen. The rest, I'm afraid, is speculation based on exterior window and door openings.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1147 Post by KENJI »

Here are a few more pics that I took last month of Pahonu.....enjoy!

Last edited by KENJI on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#1148 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks Kenji!

I was hoping they would trim alot more foliage from around the rear courtyard area for the sale. Unfortunately it's still hard to see those areas I mentioned. In the last photo, they are the area to the right of the square, second-floor terrace adjacent the garage, and the area just left of the shed roof projecting back from the main roof near the sea wall. There's actually a smaller second-floor terrace located there also, adjacent the master bedroom. Both have large trees covering them. :(

I'm not sure how to circle those on the photo like other forum members have.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1149 Post by KENJI »

You are very welcome Pahonu!

I thought you would like that last shot!!
Those trees really do hide the back of the main house. That is the best I could do without breaking the law. :wink:

On a side note.....if you ever make it to Oahu take a tour of Doris Duke's old place (Shangri La http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/ )....I know you would appreciate it...well worth a look!

Styles Bitchley

#1150 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great photos, Kenji!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#1151 Post by Steve »

It would be cool if some intrepid soul flew a drone with a go-pro attached over the Estate to get some never before seen shots............

Styles Bitchley

#1152 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:It would be cool if some intrepid soul flew a drone with a go-pro attached over the Estate to get some never before seen shots............
Intrepid or unscrupulous? Maybe a little of both. Either way, I'd probably watch the results!

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1153 Post by KENJI »

Glad you liked the pics Styles. I think this is the drone we are looking for that will get past Mrs. A's radar ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_BzTu92Nc
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hummingb ... B600%3B400

This is concept really scares me......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z78mgfKprdg

Diandra
Captain

#1154 Post by Diandra »

KENJI wrote:You are very welcome Pahonu!

Those trees really do hide the back of the main house. That is the best I could do without breaking the law. :wink:

On a side note.....if you ever make it to Oahu take a tour of Doris Duke's old place (Shangri La http://www.shangrilahawaii.org/ )....I know you would appreciate it...well worth a look!

Wow, beautiful photos! I log on to this site from time to time, and it's nice that you took the time take these.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1155 Post by KENJI »

Diandra wrote:
KENJI wrote:You are very welcome Pahonu!

Wow, beautiful photos! I log on to this site from time to time, and it's nice that you took the time take these.
Hi Diandra,

It was fun hiking up there and I'm happy to share them with the crew. The views stop you in your tracks that's for sure. I must've sat on the hang glider launch deck that is above Pahonu for a good 20 minutes taking it all in.
I have a short video clip of it, but for some reason it will not attach to this thread.....I'll keep trying, any suggestions are welcomed.

K