I am annoyed at this man!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#16 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Welcome aboard, Tanaka-San !
Tanaka-San and I know eachother from another forum. (we're both japanese sumo addicts)
Tanaka-San is a Magnum big big fan too !

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Merci Jean-Claude et Bonne Noel. Yes I am a magnum addict since childhood and intend to visit Hawaii this year at some stage and visit Robins nest.

Mack
Commander

#18 Post by Mack »

Aloha Lt. Tanaka. Mele Kalikimaka. Off subject, but how is Konishki doing? I know Akebono retired. I used to watch sumo while living in the islands.
Hana Hou!

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#19 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Tanaka-San is certainly more informed to answer about what he's doing right now, but I watched Konishiki on a regular japanese TV show on the NHK some months ago.
He was teaching the japanese alphabets to the japanese children and he was wearing some strange and funny clothes !
:arrow: http://ohayashi.untiku.jp/images/dsc00974w.jpg
I think he's still doing it.

Well, no hawaiians among the japanese sumo wrestlers currently (but you can count many wrestlers from Mongolia, Russia, Eastern Europe, etc..) and it has become very sad and boring without them (but that's only my point of view).

The only hawaiian presence in japanese sumo remains Jesse Kuhaulua (best known as Takamiyama, the first hawaiian wrestler to win a tournament in 1972) known as Azumazeki oyakata too. "Oyakata" means he's stable master. He will make it till 2009 where he'll have to resign because of the age limit of 65. And this will be sadly over for hawaiian presence in japanese sumo. But not definitely, I hope.

Mack
Commander

#20 Post by Mack »

WOW Jean-Claude. :shock: That was very informative. I never have guessed the you would enjoy sumo. It is addicting once you start watching though isn't it. I have since moved back to California some 12 years ago. While living in Hawaii, sumo was popular. Akebono, Waka & Takahanada were very popular. Thanks again for the info.
Hana Hou!

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by Lt Tanaka »

edit
Last edited by Lt Tanaka on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#22 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

Tanaka-San is too modest to write he used to train with real sumo wrestlers too !!!
Sumo fans like me were delighted too by the great pictures you had taken during the tournaments !

BTW, about Hawaii in sumo, I forgot to tell about former yokozuna Musashimaru now retired but still in sumo business as a coach at the Musashigawa stable till 2009. Musashimaru is certainly not as famous as Konishiki and Akebono but he's the best ever hawaiian sumo wrestler with 12 tournaments won !
In the evenings though I like to watch Magnum DVD's
Me too. Especially at night. I don't know why but I prefer to watch Magnum at 2AM / 3AM instead of watching M'PI DVD's in the afternoon or in the morning ...

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by Lt Tanaka »

I like Magnum be cap off my day with a nice dose of humour and adventure. Also means my dreams start on the estate usually. :D

Oh btw I still train with real rikishi :wink:

Icepick
Admiral

#24 Post by Icepick »

I thought I would watch all eight seasons of the show — 162 episodes. 8 Well, I just couldn’t do it. I tried, damn it, but after the first season, I was hurting. I was hurting bad. I tried to make it through the second season, but..
The problem with this turkey is that he hasn't watched any of the seasons after the 2nd. How can he possibly tell how good the show is if hasn't watched it evolve?
Ever wonder what life would be like if English majors ruled the world? A chilling prospect, to be sure, but a damned unlikely one. Fortunately, such a world can be examined, in all its appalling detail, without the monstrous inconvenience of having to live in it, by viewing the first six seasons of Magnum, P.I., now available on DVD.
So this guy has only watched the first two seasons and now he's slagging the next 4 seasons, yet he hasn't watched them. And worst off he's equating the first 6 seasons akin to a British major ruling the world. What??? Quiet delusional, and on top of it Higgins was a regimental-sgt-major, not a major.

And what's his obsession with being anti-English?
I jumped ahead to see Sharon Stone, I watched cross-over episodes with the Simon and Simon dudes — and I used to like Simon and Simon! — but I just couldn’t hack it! Too sensitive! Too allegorical! Too allusive! Too alliterative! Just too damn English major for my ass!
How does he connect Simon and Simon with being anywhere near English? He sounds like a racist if you ask me.