Ask the MPI Film Editor

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, I heard back from Pete! Here are the questions that he was able to answer:

How did you get started on MPI?

I started off as an apprentice film editor for 2 years, then moved up to ass't film editor for quite a while. I assisted for 4-5 years on MPI before moving up [to be a full film editor].

What kind of work are you doing now at Universal?

I work in Technical Services in the film group. I prepare 35mm movies (mostly old movies which I love too) for special screenings here and abroad. I am not directly involved in the prep of films for DVD- that is done by other people in our dept. We have some 250 people working in Tech Services....

How long did you have to edit each episode?

Each episode of MPI was supposed to be filmed in 7 days- no longer. We would have 7 working days after the last day of shooting to be in what is called a "first cut". That is the show all intact but most likely over in running time... time to start whittling away and get the show on footage. To get to a "final cut" would take another 5-6 days depending on our schedule. We had normally 4 editors working on episodes all at once... a big logistical challenge.

What role did the Producers have on the show?

The producers and Tom would give us input as far as what worked and what didn't work. That was called "changes"... Everybody had to contend with changes in one form or another.

What kind of film did the show use? What kind of equipment did you use to edit the episodes?

We used 35mm film- I don't know any other specifics other than that and we edited every show on a Moviola.

How much involvement did Mike Post and Peter Carpenter have with regards to in-episode music?

Mike and Pete did all of our music.

Besides Tom Lupo, who else provided stunt work for Tom Selleck?

Tom Lupo was the only stuntman for Tom that I know of.

What are some of your favorite episodes from the show?

"Did You See the Sunrise?" , "Mac's Back", "Old Acquaintance" (my first edited show), "Way of the Stalking Horse"... it's really difficult picking favorites... I enjoyed them all!! Oh yes.. the episode with the lady who's a princess ("Letter From a Duchess") that's staying at the estate and thinks that Tom has written her a love note, but it was really Higgins. She gets kidnapped and there's a fight on a boat at the end to save her.... Great stuff.

Do you have any interesting stories or anecdotes from your time working on the show?

I really enjoyed my career on MPI for those 7 years. The producers and Tom were very good to us. We were given the following for Christmas during different years:

1. A MPI watch with the Magnum crest in the middle of it... still works to this day.

2. A bonus one year- something unheard of in this business for the crew.

3. A beautiful satin crew jacket with a magnum crest on the back- inside was stitched "Thanks, Tom Selleck".

Is it "Jim Bonnick" or "Jim Bonig"?

It was Jim Bonnick from "Macs Back". I really liked Jeff McKay's character in the series.

Well, that's it for now... hope this helps. Oh yes, yesterday it was announced season 8 of MPI out on dvd March 4, 2008!

Pete

8)

I'd like to publicly thank Peter Ishkanian for taking the time to answer these questions. Peter, you are a great guy. And thank you for the wonderful job you did on our beloved show!

James J. Walters
magnum-mania.com
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#17 Post by IslandHopper »

I'd like to second the Thank You to Peter for his time, and great input. Very interesting. Peter, thank you for providing us with a rare look from a "Magnum, P.I." insiders perspective. Thanks again. :D
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#18 Post by golfmobile »

Amen!

I mean, "Ditto."

No, I mean, "a sincere thank you!" VERY kind of him to take time to read our questions and answer those he could. A true gentleman! (Even Higgins would be proud!)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree.

Sounds like it was quite the show to work on!

Now every time I watch "Old Acquaintance", it'll have a bit more of a place in my heart, even if it does have Goldie Morris.

:lol:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Steve »

Indeed!.......Great answers to some very well thought out questions. Thanks to Peter, all that came up with questions and of course our moderator, Admiral Walker........

Steve
Chicago

Mack
Commander

#21 Post by Mack »

That was great. Thank you for sending the questions James.
Hana Hou!

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by grapeshot »

Very interesting responses! Thank you for taking the time! It sure gives an interesting perspective on the MPI stories. Sounds like it was somewhat of a pressure cooker situation to get the episodes out the door.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, 7 days to shoot and 12-14 days to edit to "final cut". Man, that's what I call "pressure"! :shock:

I think it's really cool that the show used the older Moviola's for editing, instead of the more common Flatbed editor's. I always like to think of the show as being "old school" (in many different ways).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

foggydayz
Commander

#24 Post by foggydayz »

that was very interesting, thankyou

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

How great would it have been to see the first cut of each episode. Trimming it down for time can help a show or movie keep only the scenes that work best, but as a fan, I'd love watching the longer episodes.

I wonder how long the first cut usually was. 10, 20 minutes longer? More?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#26 Post by Doc Ibold »

I would tend to think that it would depend on the script and how much info it had in it.

For instance, when I wrote my synopsis for "Forbidden Island", there was WAYYYY too much stuff in there to fit in a 42 minute episode.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#27 Post by N1095A »

I would like to echo others' thanks to James and everyone who had a hand in this. I think our official motto should be " No one does Magnum like www.magnum-mania.com".
"But Higgins, I can explain."