The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#871 Post by KENJI »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Glad you were all able to get a look at it. It's still a work in progress, as you might have noticed. Some areas are well detailed, others less so, and some not at all. It all depends on what I and you guys have been able to track down in terms of pictures of the actual interior. The only spots on the exterior that are still uncertain are the service porch next to the garage in the rear, the corner of the main house behind the second floor lanai by the water, and the gate house opposite the driveway.

Another neat tool is "section plane". Click on that, go to the top side of the ceiling of any room, and click it. It will slice off everything above that and you can look down in at the floor plan. The whole space will make more sense that way.
Finally had a chance to look at your latest update to the SketchUp model, Pahonu. Wow, it's just fantastic! You've made quite a few improvements to it. Truly an impressive piece of work. Thank you again for creating this and sharing it with all of us.

I must say, it's really neat to see the gatehouse building without all the foliage cover. You really never get a good look at the structure in the show. It's really a beautiful little building. I could totally live there. :)

And what a thrill it is to see the backside of the main house. Again, hardly ever see it in the show! This is where I'd put the bank of grills and smokers. :)

Never knew this little lanai existed!

Thanks James for posting these pics and a BIG thanks to you Pahonu - GREAT WORK!
Hey James, Take a look at a few aerial shots that are out there of the estate and you will see the lanai you mentioned under a tarp. Other pics show it revealed and what looks to be refinished. There is also another lanai on the second floor, but at the other end.....oceanfront.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#872 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for the compliments JJ and Kenji.

OK JJ, I don't know if you meant to do this or were just highlighting some rarely seen areas, but the middle two pictures show precisely the areas I have uncertainty about, and need help with.

Picture 2 The side of the gatehouse with the garage attached is speculative. I am only certain of a couple of second floor windows in the ell and the ones in the garage. The rest of the rear of the structure is a mystery.

Picture 3 The small porch at the rear of the kitchen wing, next to the garages, is also uncertain, as is the area to the right of it with two balconies and two doors beneath them. I know the left balcony is there, but the rest is not known. Also the adjacent lower wall with no openings is a question. (JJ, the lanai Kenji mentioned is just above this wall.)

THE CALL GOES OUT: ANY SLEUTHS OUT THERE, PHOTOS FROM THESE ANGLES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Sorry for shouting. :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#873 Post by KENJI »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#874 Post by KENJI »

Based on this article..........http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/beaches/k ... chpark.php
the Shriners Beach Club was around a few years earlier than Pahonu (Shriners - 1931.....Pahonu - 1933).

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#875 Post by KENJI »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#876 Post by KENJI »

I wonder if the new owner will beef up security.......here are a few signs that could be posted around the perimeter..........I like the 357 Magnum one the best. http://www.wildpacificcharters.com/kraz ... cts_id=299 :shock:

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#877 Post by No need to know! »

Beware of:

Onion´s extra?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#878 Post by KENJI »

Here is a youtube video of someone's 2013 visit to Pahonu.....also great music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_VgTj1eUc

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#879 Post by golfmobile »

Whoa! A lot of the overgrown foliage has been cleaned out since I was there!! I guess that's a start.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#880 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:Here is a youtube video of someone's 2013 visit to Pahonu.....also great music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_VgTj1eUc
No matter how much the the view toward the estate changes, the view in the opposite direction is frozen in time. Love it. Thanks for sharing Kenji.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#881 Post by KENJI »

I agree with you Styles....it stops you in your tracks.....glad you liked it.
The guy who took this video is going back this month so we might get some footage of Pahonu being polished up for sale.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#882 Post by KENJI »

I was interested in Eve's comment that the estate was built with blue stone and concrete ......I looked up blue stone and found this interesting article.....Pahonu was built to last!
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/arc ... 10_19.html

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#883 Post by No need to know! »

KENJI wrote:I was interested in Eve's comment that the estate was built with blue stone and concrete ......I looked up blue stone and found this interesting article.....Pahonu was built to last!
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/arc ... 10_19.html
That was interesting stuff.
Onion´s extra?

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#884 Post by erock308 »

Pahonu, what will become of you...
ImageImageImage
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Sam
Fleet Admiral