The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#721 Post by KENJI »

Hi Sam,

Go to Youtube and watch the Vegas episode from there.....two parts.
Great pics.....that is the room, but it is interesting they covered up the two doors with those red oriental bi-folds that you see on each side of the fireplace. You'll know what I'm talking about when you watch the show.
One door looked like a closet and the other looked like a door to another room which makes sense with the real layout.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#722 Post by Sam »

Thanks Kenji,
That's definitely the same room..The pictures from HFO were from the last episode which aired Apr 5th 1980.

The Vegas episode was from Nov 5th 1980 so it was filmed that same year.

The one thing I noticed,the picture over the couch appears to be a picture used in HFO and MPI.I

believe it first appeared in MPI in the 3rd season.It is a picture of boats in a bay.I can't find it now to

make the comparison.
Last edited by Sam on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#723 Post by Pahonu »

Sam, Kenji,

That most certainly is the same room. It shows much more of it too! I've already found several changes to make to my model. A little closer...

Thanks for the tip.

It's kind of sad to think the estate was in such great shape for almost 50 years at the time these were filmed, but in the last 25 years... :(

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#724 Post by KENJI »

My pleasure guys!

Good eye with the paintings Sam! I will have to check that out myself. I think they also used another ship picture in McGarret's office that we have also seen in Robin's/Higgin's study.....I know one of us has mentioned this before, but I can't find the subject line at the moment.
Now......What is on the other side of the door and the fireplace? Looking at it from the outside on the end we can see another open air window opening.....maybe that is the ground floor bedroom that was mentioned in the listing.

It's interesting to see one actor walk down the covered outside section towards what we would call the estates front door....a new angle than we aren't used too. Also when they are upstairs we get a good shot of the upstairs ceiling (boxed/coffered look) and a few more hints on how the floor plan works.....assuming this is real.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#725 Post by KENJI »

If you want to see a great shot of Pahonu from the mountains, go to Youtube and type in Makapuu Launchpad Lookout.....posted by Kahanaohana......the guy shows us a great shot of the place....what a view too!!!!!

Pahonu

#726 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:Now......What is on the other side of the door and the fireplace? Looking at it from the outside on the end we can see another open air window opening.....maybe that is the ground floor bedroom that was mentioned in the listing.

l
I think we might have the answer to that already. Way back in this thread someone (Sam?) posted screen caps of a H5O episode that showed a room that had swords on the wall, or something like it. I think that is the room. It had the same type of curtain valances located elsewhere in the house. It has two doors that would fit the space: The solid double doors leading to the room from Vegas, and the double glass door out to the lanai. Not certain, but it fits. That room would be the one to convert to a downstairs bedroom, as one of the two half baths in the first floor is adjacent, I think. That half bath is located behind the vents between the lanai and this room. the other half bath is in the servant wing adjacent the garage.

I'll take a look at that YouTube video shortly. New views of the place are always helpful

Thanks again!

Pahonu

#727 Post by Pahonu »

Cool video shot of Pahonu. I've seen something similar in still shots, and I think one is on this thread. It's much closer too.

I just rewatched the Vegas video and TC' chopper makes an appearance at the end of part two! I believe it's the one that crashed and killed the cameraman, N58243. We also get to see the boathouse storage area pretty well.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#728 Post by KENJI »

Hi Pahonu,

It's really great to see footage from above Pahonu to add to the aerial still shots that have already been posted on MM. It ALMOST makes you feel that you are there in person.....almost.

I had to smile when the chopper came into the Vegas scene.

I think you are right with the chopper/accident comment. Reading Larry's book he states the cameraman had just arrived from the airport and his wife was pregnant at the time, when a wave hit the tail end of the low flying chopper causing the accident. Really sad!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#729 Post by No need to know! »

KENJI wrote:I've just watched Vegas - Aloha, You're Dead again and I really think the interior footage of the estate MIGHT be real. If not, they did a great job in blending the interior with the exterior shots....look at the beams on the inside and how they match the beams supporting the upper covered lanai. The fireplace seems to match with location of the real one (assuming there is another room behind the door that we can see in the shot. I know Hollywood is good at fooling us so it will be interesting to see if the pending listing pics match this show. Can anyone post some interior pics from this show so we can discuss some more? Another interesting angle shows that slightly raised roof on the beach wing of the house and it does look open underneath which points to more ventilation for the house. Any thoughts? If you love Pahonu you have to watch this episode....lots of footage!
It was neat to see some familiar faces from Magnum in this episode, including the Hawaiian FBI agent who I think was in Dead Man's Channel playing a possible kahuna.(....correct me if I'm wrong).
Where can i find that episode? Is it on Youtube?
Onion´s extra?

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#730 Post by No need to know! »

KENJI wrote:If you want to see a great shot of Pahonu from the mountains, go to Youtube and type in Makapuu Launchpad Lookout.....posted by Kahanaohana......the guy shows us a great shot of the place....what a view too!!!!!
Yeah! At 2:38 you see it on the right. Man that is just amazing location. I just hope the new owners won´t destroy this fantastic property..
Onion´s extra?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#731 Post by Lily »

Kenji....if anything has changed at the estate, will certainly report back!
Aloha!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#732 Post by KENJI »

No need to know! wrote:
KENJI wrote:I've just watched Vegas - Aloha, You're Dead again and I really think the interior footage of the estate MIGHT be real. If not, they did a great job in blending the interior with the exterior shots....look at the beams on the inside and how they match the beams supporting the upper covered lanai. The fireplace seems to match with location of the real one (assuming there is another room behind the door that we can see in the shot. I know Hollywood is good at fooling us so it will be interesting to see if the pending listing pics match this show. Can anyone post some interior pics from this show so we can discuss some more? Another interesting angle shows that slightly raised roof on the beach wing of the house and it does look open underneath which points to more ventilation for the house. Any thoughts? If you love Pahonu you have to watch this episode....lots of footage!
It was neat to see some familiar faces from Magnum in this episode, including the Hawaiian FBI agent who I think was in Dead Man's Channel playing a possible kahuna.(....correct me if I'm wrong).
Where can i find that episode? Is it on Youtube?
Hi......yes, go to good old Youtube and type in Vegas Aloha, You're Dead Part 1 and it should pop up and then you will have to do the same for part 2. Enjoy the show!!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#733 Post by KENJI »

Lily wrote:Kenji....if anything has changed at the estate, will certainly report back!
Aloha!
Thanks Lily!!!
Enjoy your trip!!!

Pahonu

#734 Post by Pahonu »

Kenji,

Go to page 36 of this thread and you will see some pictures of the room on the other side of the fireplace in the living room (or whatever it's called). The two large first floor rooms that we've never even gotten a glimpse of are the one opposite the living room on the beach side of the house, and the one between that room and the stair hall. I don't remember if you've seen my model, but I arranged that second one as a library/study space, but that was just a guess. The one by the beach, I have no idea what it is used for. Even though we've never seen the room near the driveway entrance, Rick romer mentioned it was a trunk room. This would make sense as it was originally a vacation home. I think the room with the triple windows under the balcony by the driveway is either a servant's dining room or perhaps a breakfast room for the family's informal meals. That whole side of the house is service space which leads me to think the first option.

Mac
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#735 Post by Mac »

Hello,
I have been visiting this site for years, but just registered. Magnum is my favorite show of all time, have all of the dvds. I've been to Hawaii a few times and have been in the tidal pool, and peaked into the gate at the estate. I have gotten my wife to agree that we can buy the estate, when we hit the powerball. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading everyones enthusiastic responses to the house going on the market. I truly hope that a fan is able to purchase it. Aloha, Mac