The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#691 Post by KENJI »

Don't forget the cannon complete with sandbags and the Union Jack. Higgin's model of the Bridge over the River Kwai and a safe behind the mantle are also on the to do list.
Two Dobermans are a must!
Since we've never really seen the back of the place in it's entirety, I would put Conch's pool idea back there, but the front stays as is!
That sure would be a fun project!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bathouse

#692 Post by KENJI »

Sam wrote:I found these pictures of the estate taken in 2005.Some lucky people actually get on the grounds.

I've been to the estate 3 or 4 times.last in 2004.I've never noticed the picnic area.It's defined by pavers and what appears to be shells or rocks.

Here is the link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kulanuba/2007HABPicnic

From what I can determine....HAB is..Hawaii Association of the Blind..Which may explain the dogs.

I found this short report on the picnic.

http://www.greatergoodradio.com/?p=42

and from that web page I found an interview with Mike Post.

http://www.greatergoodradio.com/?p=84
Hi Pahonu.....I found this entry plus links that Sam supplied early on in this thread that mentions the bath house.....click on second link.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#693 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:...I would hang a hammock it's porch area facing the tidal pool. In the hammock would be a lifesize mannequin sporting a red parrot shirt, beige shorts, boat shoes and a Detroit Tigers baseball cap strategically placed over it's face as if Magnum was asleep....
That's not creepy at all. :-P
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Bathouse

#694 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Sam wrote:I found these pictures of the estate taken in 2005.Some lucky people actually get on the grounds.

I've been to the estate 3 or 4 times.last in 2004.I've never noticed the picnic area.It's defined by pavers and what appears to be shells or rocks.

Here is the link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kulanuba/2007HABPicnic

From what I can determine....HAB is..Hawaii Association of the Blind..Which may explain the dogs.

I found this short report on the picnic.

http://www.greatergoodradio.com/?p=42

and from that web page I found an interview with Mike Post.

http://www.greatergoodradio.com/?p=84
Hi Pahonu.....I found this entry plus links that Sam supplied early on in this thread that mentions the bath house.....click on second link.

That's the one I read. I think Ms Anderson might have had the bath house built because she opened the estate up for so many functions, and the house itself is in poor repair. They said in the link they never go inside.

I also noticed one of the real estate listings showed a first floor bedroom and full bath. That wasn't how the house was built acording to the tax records. Maybe another modifaction for her needs?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#695 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,

I have been following this topic and every post very attentively. You are all so loveably nuts !! but of course let us MPI maniacs keep on dreaming ........ anything can happen. :oops:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#696 Post by golfmobile »

I think almost ALL of us diehards have been following this recently!!! It is so much fun and probably the most activity the forum has seen for a while. I think this is pretty big news, to us, at least. It's been such fun for me to read everyone's posts! I've been waiting about posting what I would do with the estate if I had the money.

I think I would leave the main house as is, except for necessary repairs and restorations of "original equipment." It is historic as it is, not as MPI made it "appear" -- that's really not its historic value; that's our applying our "nostalgic" value to the property. From what we've seen of its actual interior of the house several times in the original H5-O, I actually rather like what I saw there. But there are some areas in the main house that could potentially be turned into a replica/recreation of Higgins' study -- say you're standing in the outside courtyard facing the house: The wing to one's left (that was seen several times on original H5-O) could be turned Higgins' study. Or the wing to the right, the part of that el that is toward the yard on the "outside" of the walk-through "tunnel" there. I don't recall off the stop of my head our ever seeing inside that part of the building (though I vaguely remember that one H5-O episode MAY have been filmed in there).

I would want to turn the boathouse into Magnum's apartment, but from a practical standpoint, there's not enough square footage in the boathouse to accommodate both the living room AND the bedroom/bath as seen in the TV show. So sacrifice the bedroom and just make the interior of the boathouse a replica of Thomas' living room. The one thing that has never made sense to me was going UP a flight of stairs to get to the front door and then going DOWN a flight of stairs to get into the apartment. As in, can't you just go in at ground level? But that's my logic hangup. And we know actual logic and logistics had nothing to do with what the show presented as Magnum's apartment and what was actually on the property. But having seen the boathouse in person, I REALLY LIKE the covered balcony/porch/lanai (whatever you want to call it) of the boathouse too much to give it up, plus its grand ocean view (though it wasn't seen often in the show -- like maybe twice early on). I don't mind the creepy mannequin in the hammock, though (that cracked me up!!!). I rather like that quirky touch.

Actually, the absolutely FIRST thing I would do is clear out all the overgrown foliage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the main things I miss on the property comparing what was seen in the show and what is there now is the large, open lawn. Nowhere for a chopper to land NOW!! And I think the walk Thomas took to his guesthouse, talking with Mac the ghost in THAT episode, showed the expanse of the lawn/property (as I recall the episode, which, of course, made no sense when all along you were left with the impression sometimes that his guesthouse was BEHIND the main house, and other times it was obvious that Higgins got to it by crossing the yard). There were just so many episodes when people were out on an open area that is nowhere to be seen these days, at least, not from the shore, which is the only place we can try to view it from.

And I love the upstairs center covered balcony where Magnum and Higgins had several serious (and not so serious) conversations (e.g., the war games vs. the football game cross-conversation), so I wouldn't want to give that up.

Not being a swimming pool/hot tub/spa person (I've NEVER understood why beachfront resorts have pools while the ocean is RIGHT THERE -- why are you in the pool??? Oh, yeah, the swim-up bar . . . . .), I wouldn't add a pool to the property, personally. And though I don't play tennis and probably never will, I think I wouldn't remove the courts but restore and maintain them in good condition.

Parking in the back for the people who come to "take the tour"? Need to put all those cars somewhere.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head, and after reading everyone else's DELIGHTFUL posts!!! Keep 'em coming, I'm certainly still checking for new posts several times a day.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#697 Post by KENJI »

I call it our Magnum mirage and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#698 Post by 308GUY »

Another "fantasy" thought.....how about Bellisario buying it? Pretty sure he could afford it. It could be brought back up to snuff, if not to emulate the MPI sets, as it is, and then used by CBS or whoever for filming now. I could see one of the characters from 5-0 buying it or inheriting it in the show, then it being a part of the regular scenery in that show now.

So many possibilities, as long as we're talking about "other peoples money"! :lol:

I can still imagine it being used by the original cast as a reunion spot to launch a new version of MPI, TM retireing from the Navy and coming back there, TC stopping over to welcome him back and telling him all about his expanded Island Hoppers Service that now has a fleet of choppers, private learjets, etc. and Rick coming by to take him to one of his now many clubs he owns all over the Islands and on the mainland....or I guess it'd be ok too, if one of us wins the lotto and buys it and goes ahead with one of the plans outlined here, all of which have merit in their own right.

Ah well........never give up your dreams.....even while you're dealing with whatever your daily reality is . When it's all said and done, basically all you have is your memories and your dreams. Nobody can take them away unless you let them. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#699 Post by ConchRepublican »

It would be pretty cool to wire the Estate with hidden speakers and create a "wandering Higgins" effect .... snippets of his stories, comments and phrases randomly popping on from time to time.
CoziTV Superfan spot

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#700 Post by No need to know! »

308GUY wrote:Another "fantasy" thought.....how about Bellisario buying it? Pretty sure he could afford it. It could be brought back up to snuff, if not to emulate the MPI sets, as it is, and then used by CBS or whoever for filming now. I could see one of the characters from 5-0 buying it or inheriting it in the show, then it being a part of the regular scenery in that show now.

So many possibilities, as long as we're talking about "other peoples money"! :lol:

I can still imagine it being used by the original cast as a reunion spot to launch a new version of MPI, TM retireing from the Navy and coming back there, TC stopping over to welcome him back and telling him all about his expanded Island Hoppers Service that now has a fleet of choppers, private learjets, etc. and Rick coming by to take him to one of his now many clubs he owns all over the Islands and on the mainland....or I guess it'd be ok too, if one of us wins the lotto and buys it and goes ahead with one of the plans outlined here, all of which have merit in their own right.

Ah well........never give up your dreams.....even while you're dealing with whatever your daily reality is . When it's all said and done, basically all you have is your memories and your dreams. Nobody can take them away unless you let them. :magnum:
I was thinking the same about Bellisario. He sure has the money if he ever was interested.
But who knows? There might be some very successful businessman somewhere in this world who happens to be a huge fan like us, and always dreamed of owning this property.
Onion´s extra?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#701 Post by KENJI »

ConchRepublican wrote:It would be pretty cool to wire the Estate with hidden speakers and create a "wandering Higgins" effect .... snippets of his stories, comments and phrases randomly popping on from time to time.
Great idea Conch! I can hear him yelling OMG...... and Zeus, Apollo Patrol! Magnum's laugh has to be on there as well!
Brilliant!

ConchRepublican

#702 Post by ConchRepublican »

KENJI wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:It would be pretty cool to wire the Estate with hidden speakers and create a "wandering Higgins" effect .... snippets of his stories, comments and phrases randomly popping on from time to time.
Great idea Conch! I can hear him yelling OMG...... and Zeus, Apollo Patrol! Magnum's laugh has to be on there as well!
Brilliant!
As well as the Kudu Buck of course. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#703 Post by KENJI »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Brilliant!
As well as the Kudu Buck of course. :wink:
Now I'm the one laughing....too funny......I love it!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#704 Post by KENJI »

I just found this topic created by Luther in 2008.............What would you do if you owned the Anderson Estate.......... It connects very nicely into what we've been recently talking about and it's fun to read a few more ideas. Have a look!

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#705 Post by walken1974 »

I have been a lurker on this site for approx. 2 years while I watched the entire series via dvd. I love the site and have been using the rubber chicken's guide to put together a magnum tour when my family visits oahu in August for 2 weeks. Obviously when I saw the post that robin's nest is for sale it has made me nervous that it won't be the same when we visit. (fingers crossed that nothing big happens to the estate before we visit)