The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#631 Post by Stelth »

308GUY wrote:TM: I know what you're thinking...and you're right! However.....(now where's that shot of Magnum with the shotgun taking out Higgins' dogfight plane.......?)

Would be cool though....like being there without actually "being" there. :magnum:
This isn't quite what you wanted, but we can pretend.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#632 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks Stelth, close enough....but imagining one of those drones hovering over the estate, brought to mind the scene with TM in his robe taking carefull aim at the RC plane. It would be neat, but I don't think it would "go over" very well with the actual current residents! :magnum:

We can always dream....right?
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#633 Post by J.J. Walters »

He was in his robe at the beginning of the episode when was woken up by the planes.

He took out the planes at the end of the episode when he was wearing his gray naval academy t-shirt. He tried to reason with them, but they just wouldn't listen. God, I'm such a Magnum geek! ;)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#634 Post by 308GUY »

James, you are soooo right!

Been a while since I watched that one, and guess I remember TM's famous laugh where I think he was wearing the robe, just forgot that he wasn't wearing it when he blasted the plane. He was wearing the robe during the laugh......wasn't he? :magnum: Either way, that laugh is one "the" best moments in the whole series if you ask me.

You know, they say your memory is the second the thing to start going after you get to a certain age.....I forget what the first thing was...... :lol:

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#635 Post by steveadl »

308GUY wrote:James, you are soooo right!

Been a while since I watched that one, and guess I remember TM's famous laugh where I think he was wearing the robe, just forgot that he wasn't wearing it when he blasted the plane. He was wearing the robe during the laugh......wasn't he? :magnum: Either way, that laugh is one "the" best moments in the whole series if you ask me.

You know, they say your memory is the second the thing to start going after you get to a certain age.....I forget what the first thing was...... :lol:
You remember right 308GUY. The beginning of the episode he's wearing the robe, and the argument between ™ and Higgins causes Higgins to lose focus and crash the plane at which point we hear the best version of TM's laugh throughout the entire series imo. I'm pretty sure JJ has the clip of this scene on the website somewhere.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#636 Post by ThomasMagnum »

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#637 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks TM! That was GREAT!

Never ceases to amuse and make ME laugh to hear/see that.

TexCavyPI
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#638 Post by TexCavyPI »

I found this site looking for that estate on Google Earth.
What fun!
So glad to have found a place to geek out about this while catch up on re-watching the entire series for the first time since the original reruns. 8)
Magnum: You're doing to Sally exactly what Rex Harrison did to Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.
You're using her as a guinea pig for your own self-indulgent experiment.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#639 Post by J.J. Walters »

Looks like Pahonu (Robin's Nest) is for sale! $15.75M! :shock:

http://www.cbpacific.com/m/IDXDetail.as ... &uid=64453
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#640 Post by Doc Ibold »

J.J. Walters wrote:Looks like Pahonu (Robin's Nest) is for sale! $15.75M! :shock:

http://www.cbpacific.com/m/IDXDetail.as ... &uid=64453
Whoa. Just whoa. There are actually some interesting implications here.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#641 Post by golfmobile »

Well, now, at least, the possibility exists that someone could buy it and allow tours of the property for MGI fans. Not necessarily LIKELY, but we know Ms. Anderson would never do so. Maybe a new owner would? Oh, why can't I win the Lottery?

(But isn't $15.75 million about twice what it's actually worth? at least in current condition)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#642 Post by 308GUY »

Seems like something Larry Manetti would jump on. He's done just about everything he could to cash in on having been on the show, this should be the ultimate move. Can't say as I blame him, am actually glad he has done the things he has, as it makes it possible for we die-hard fans to further enjoy everything associated with the show.

It'd take a while for him to recoup his investment, but eventually, it could be a money maker, just maybe not in this lifetime. I don't know, it'd sure be nice for it to fall into the hands of someone who understands the attraction and sentiment we all share, and make it available for tours. Shoot, it could even be used as someplace rich folks so inclined could book time at, the possibilities are wide open.

I'm sure between LM, TS, and RM, they could come up with the cash, just not sure the interest is there.

Oh well, we can all dream about booking a weekend at Robin's nest, noone can take your dreams away unless you let them.:magnum:

Hope we are able to watch this and stay abreast of what's happening with it. It'd be great just to have somebody get it that would restore it to it's film days condition, even if it remained off-limits to the public. To us, it's like a "historical site", and should be preserved as such, but like I said, to us.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#643 Post by steveadl »

Wow! Here's hoping if it does sell its bought by someone who;

A) Keeps it true to its form.
B) Restores it to its former glory as it was during the 80's.
C) Re-opens it to film crews.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#644 Post by KENJI »

Hi Golf,

I'm no expert, but I think that is pretty high too. I was thinking $8 to 10million factoring in the history and I think that is generous. I see a developer coming in and carving it up into smaller parcels or creating a boutique hotel assuming the zoning will allow for it.....I hope I am wrong as it would make me sick to see it destroyed. Another interesting detail in the listing....taxes $27,600 per year (no big deal if you can afford $15.7 million), but that might be one reason for Mrs. Anderson wanting to sell, plus the condition, plus the size of the place, plus her age etc. I bet it was tough for her to make this decision! I'm thinking this is one reason why the price is so high....it has been in her family for a very long time and she is in no rush to sell, unless someone shows her the money.....$15.7 million. I wonder if global warming and high tides factored into the decision? I noticed an article around Christmas that reported major erosion around the North Shore of Oahu that damaged a few properties and the debate was on about building walls again to stop the damage. Pahonu does have a low section of wall and a break where the boat house is located that opens it up for possible water damage. Until it sells we need to buy a few more lottery tickets and maybe just maybe one of us will get lucky!!!! I'm going to the Big Island next month and almost booked a few days on Oahu, but decided not to this time. It would be nice to see the place one last time just in case it has a date with the wrecking ball. I doubt the agent will be having an open house either.....could you imagine!!!! No additional pictures were on the listing either and that would be Mrs. Anderson's doing and I don't blame her one bit. I hope her agent is on the ball because there will be a few fake purchasers out there who will try and breach the wall of the estate for a good snoop. They will all be pre-approved before they have a chance to enter, but I still think one or two will make it inside. Now, Bellisario has deep pockets......I wonder if he has an interest in the place? Time will tell!!! I can't wait for James to update the Robin's Nest section with this new info! We should have a pool on what the place finally goes for too! Does anyone want to go first?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#645 Post by KENJI »

Did anyone else notice the pink palace that is located few doors down from the estate is renting it out for between $2,099 to $5,500/night. It was on the market for close to two years for just over $4million and it sits on a postage stamp compared to the Anderson's Estate. They've named their rental Pahonu Estate which doesn't seem quite right.