Don't fancy Home from the sea. Anyone else agrees?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Don't fancy Home from the sea. Anyone else agrees?

#1 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I know that it usually gets some high rankings.

I usually skip it - not sure if it's because it's kind of claustrophobic or boring for me.

Anyone else agrees and has an explanation?
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't fancy Home by the sea. Anyone else agrees?

#2 Post by Sisophous »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Anyopne else agrees and has an explanation?
Home From The Sea: Funny you posted this because it's one of the standout episodes that I really enjoyed the first time I viewed it but do not like viewing it again. I think it's the thought of drowning that bothers me and you too. And, people fall into the ocean all the time going overboard and have a slow death this way. Or get ripped apart by sharks.

And who calls people Turkies? Ugh. :?

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't fancy Home from the sea. Anyone else agrees?

#3 Post by Reef monkey »

Bondtoys.de wrote:I know that it usually gets some high rankings.

I usually skip it - not sure if it's because it's kind of claustrophobic or boring for me.

Anyone else agrees and has an explanation?
Funny, when I saw it as a little kid, I though it was kind of "boring", or at least it didn't have the elements I wanted from Magnum as a kid, but for some reason, it stuck in my head more than any other episode I saw. It is the only episode I REALLY remember watching, that I can remember thinking about it as I watched it, etc. And it has grown on me throughout the years, and now I do enjoy watching it, though I like the more light-hearted episodes in general.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sisophous »

Reef monkey wrote:it stuck in my head more than any other episode I saw. It is the only episode I REALLY remember watching, that I can remember thinking about it as I watched it
That's because it deals with drowning, or the ugly fate that you are close to drowning and are powerless to do anything about it. The more I think about it the more it gives me the creeps.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by terryfromkerry »

Interesting piece of trivia concerning this episide, Robert Pine who played Magnum's dad attended Ohio Wesleyan University. Tom Selleck's real life dad attended the same University.

I like this episode because we get a look at a significent event in Magnum's childhood. Important in the overall development of Magnum's character through out the entire series.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Reef monkey »

Sisophous wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:it stuck in my head more than any other episode I saw. It is the only episode I REALLY remember watching, that I can remember thinking about it as I watched it
That's because it deals with drowning, or the ugly fate that you are close to drowning and are powerless to do anything about it. The more I think about it the more it gives me the creeps.
I don't know about that. I don't have any special fear of drowning, or of sharks. I have always been a good swimmer and am a kayaker, sailor, and scuba diver, I love the water and have always felt quite at home there (I TOTALLY identify with Magnum's soliliquy about always feeling at home on the ocean, even as a kid). Maybe that's it for me, that it is a story so intimately associated with the sea, that it appeals to me, but I think the reason why it stuck in my head initially is it was such a different storytelling structure than I had ever seen at that time.
Last edited by Reef monkey on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Reef monkey »

terryfromkerry wrote:Interesting piece of trivia concerning this episide, Robert Pine who played Magnum's dad attended Ohio Wesleyan University. Tom Selleck's real life dad attended the same University.

I like this episode because we get a look at a significent event in Magnum's childhood. Important in the overall development of Magnum's character through out the entire series.
And Robert Pine is the father of Chris Pine, the new Captain James Kirk in the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Reefmonkey,

I did not know that. I liked him as the new Capt. Kirk in both the reboot movies. Looking forward to seeing him as Jack Ryan.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Reef monkey »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hi Reefmonkey,

I did not know that. I liked him as the new Capt. Kirk in both the reboot movies. Looking forward to seeing him as Jack Ryan.
Check out the resemblance side by side, especially when Robert Pine was younger, and they both have somewhat similar facial expressions.
by3 by mmyers1976

by3 by mmyers1976

by3 by mmyers1976

by3 by mmyers1976

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

Absolutely the resemblance is undeniable. You have also reminded me Robert Pine was in C.H.I.P.S.