Netflix Streaming of Magnum P.I. Sucks - Technical post

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

mikeaz123
Commander

Re: Netflix Streaming of Magnum P.I. Sucks - Technical post

#16 Post by mikeaz123 »

I've done comparisons of some of the episodes of the german release (with english audio track) and the US DVD release. In all cases, the German HD release is better. It is less noticeable in the early seasons as they seem to have been mastered from original 35mm prints. Some episodes are sharp as a tack and the only difference between the DVD and HD release is sharper colors. During the latter seasons, the HD versions trump the DVD releases because the latter seasons seem to have been mastered from 16mm possibly, or they were released at a lower bitrate; sometimes the picture is a bit blurry/fuzzy on episodes.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sisophous »

mikeaz123 wrote:I've done comparisons of some of the episodes of the german release (with english audio track) and the US DVD release. In all cases, the German HD release is better.
Thanks for the info. Do you know where the German releases can be purchased and is the audio quality decent? It's odd that an American show so popular is put out on DVD in less quality than what is produced in a foreign nation, then again, the Germans do a lot of things right. And just wondering, how you came across the German releases? :?:

mikeaz123
Commander

#18 Post by mikeaz123 »

I think the German releases are DVD only, and the HD versions are limited to TV airings. I got mine from the newsgroups (similar to torrenting in a way), I don't know how the board is about that kind of information but you can PM me for more info and I'll point you in the right direction if you want.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Sisophous »

mikeaz123 wrote:I think the German releases are DVD only, and the HD versions are limited to TV airings. I got mine from the newsgroups (similar to torrenting in a way), I don't know how the board is about that kind of information but you can PM me for more info and I'll point you in the right direction if you want.
Thanks for the offer but I'm only interested in high definition DVDs, not streaming or torrenting. I tried the streaming at Netflix, many films were in high definition, and yet didn't like watching it on my computer monitor. DVDs are a lot more fun than streaming, just my preference.

mikeaz123
Commander

#20 Post by mikeaz123 »

No worries, I understand. Technically you could grab the files from the newsgroups and burn them to BluRay, but that may be more effort than it's worth. I have an OPPO-93 Bluray player which has a USB port, so any time I want to watch a file, I can plug the hard drive into the port.

As for netflix, you can watch it on your TV. You'll need a blu ray or dvd player with the app on it, or possibly a media player like Roku or Boxee, or maybe even a TV that has the app.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Sisophous »

mikeaz123 wrote:
As for netflix, you can watch it on your TV. You'll need a blu ray or dvd player with the app on it, or possibly a media player like Roku or Boxee, or maybe even a TV that has the app.
Yes, I mentioned earlier that watching Netflix DVDs using an HDMI hookup produces a "Near" high definition picture on "some" episodes, mainly some of the first and second seasons. I actually noted which episodes were unusually sharp in my notes.

I viewed MPI through Netflix by streaming it on a Sony KDL32EX710 set and it has the Internet app built in, all you need to do is snap in an Ethernet cable and navigate to it once you open the Netflix streaming account on the set. The picture quality was awful when streaming, I lost 1/3 of the screen to black bars and the resolution was very grainy. I still got the black bars on the 1970s series, The Rockford Files, but picture quality was far sharper on that series, equivalent to the lower high definition 720p.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

The Magnum P.I. Complete Series DVD box set is calling you Sisophous. It's so loud that even I can hear it. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:The Magnum P.I. Complete Series DVD box set is calling you Sisophous. It's so loud that even I can hear it. :)
With my luck the day after I place an order, Blu Ray will hit the stores next Spring. :evil: I'm thinking the first four seasons are worth purchasing on DVD, season by season. Amazon right now has season one for only $12.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-P-I-Comple ... B00005JMHI