Netflix No Longer Carrying Magnum P.I.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Netflix No Longer Carrying Magnum P.I.

#1 Post by Sisophous »

I found out Netflix is no longer carrying Magnum P.I. If you click on the Magnum P.I. listing at Netflix, you can't add the discs to your queue. Now, all eight seasons just have a green Save box in case they later add the series back.

In the past, I have asked Netflix why some titles are no longer available and get dropped and they told me it comes down to licensing. They must have a license to rent out the DVDs and it can be difficult to obtain. It is possible the seasons will be available for rental in the future but for now, no such luck, not even a single disc is available. I also get no specifics about title availability in the future when I have asked Netflix.

I'm thinking of buying the series on DVD but really only like seasons 1-4. The thread J.J.Walters posted about the entire series coming out in October for $118 with free shipping at Amazon is looking attractive.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: Netflix No Longer Carrying Magnum P.I.

#2 Post by Kevster »

Instant seems fine, as I just watched a few seconds of an episode.. Maybe the discs in rotation are getting beat up and they've pulled them.
Trust Me!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's still available on Netflix Instant on my end. All 162 episodes. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:It's still available on Netflix Instant on my end. All 162 episodes. :)
Didn't realize the streaming is carried for the series, the DVD shipping has stopped.

mikeaz123
Commander

#5 Post by mikeaz123 »

I didn't realize Netflix needed a license to carry titles for DVD rentals; I thought they could just buy them in bulk and rent to their hearts content. Streaming I can understand the license issue.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

I didn't realize that Netflix was still shipping DVD's for rent. I thought everything was instant "on demand" now.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:I didn't realize that Netflix was still shipping DVD's for rent. I thought everything was instant "on demand" now.
Actually DVD subscriber rentals have been declining but many people like the flexibility of playing discs, especially if they do not yet have a high speed Internet connection. I stream video content but not from Netflix. I prefer to rent the discs, I can capture video content easily if I like what is on a DVD compared to streaming where I have no control. I still get a cracked disc every few weeks thanks to the US Postal Service.

Netflix adds new titles to DVD once a week, a new listing comes out every Sunday.

This link shows new releases in DVDs from Netflix each week.

http://dvd.netflix.com/AllNewReleases

I cancel and activate my Netflix membership more often now than in the past because I have difficulty finding content of interest that is on DVD.
mikeaz123 wrote:I didn't realize Netflix needed a license to carry titles for DVD rentals; I thought they could just buy them in bulk and rent to their hearts content. Streaming I can understand the license issue.
That is what Netflix told me, it did not make sense why many titles are dropped and then added so often. The license issue explains it. DVDs need to be constantly replaced due to damage or some being unplayable so I think once Netflix obtains a license to a series or a title, they can just make copies with no legal issue. It also explains how they charge you a fee of $14 per disc if you do not return it after canceling your membership. That is cheaper than the cost of retail discs, it costs Netflix pennies to replace a disc.