Insignificant recurring details...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Insignificant recurring details...

#16 Post by Pahonu »

Reef monkey wrote:I remember when those playing card cups were ubiquitous in old style coffee vending machines. Even though I graduated high school in 1994, I also remember that at least my freshman year my school didn't have coke (the generic term for soda pop down here) vending machines that dispensed cans. Instead, a wax paper cup dropped down, ice was dumped in, and then the drink was dispensed. I remember those wax paper cups too, there were only about 2 or 3 designs everywhere you went, really abstract 70s looking designs. And the red and white coca cola cups, too.
I remember these playing card cups and the light blue and white Greek key cups were absolutely ubiquitous. http://www.grittycity.com/front_stoop/fs001.html I'm a little older ('89 grad) and from the west coast, but they must have been everywhere!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

Whenever a scene features a truck, it's usually the same two tone grey ford cabover box van.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Reef monkey »

Danno wrote:Magnum originally sports Lacoste shirts.
He then swaps forevermore to Polo Ralph Lauren.
...however when he's in the queue at the police station (I forget which season) and meets that 'alternative Magnum' (I forget his name right now) the alternative Mags is wearing Lacoste.

I imagine the alternative Magnum may drive a Porsche as well.
Tell me more about the "alternative Magnum" - can anyone give some plot details, season, or title?
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

Reef monkey wrote:
Danno wrote:Magnum originally sports Lacoste shirts.
He then swaps forevermore to Polo Ralph Lauren.
...however when he's in the queue at the police station (I forget which season) and meets that 'alternative Magnum' (I forget his name right now) the alternative Mags is wearing Lacoste.

I imagine the alternative Magnum may drive a Porsche as well.
Tell me more about the "alternative Magnum" - can anyone give some plot details, season, or title?
That's in By Its Cover, Season 3 with Stuart Margolin. Magnum is at the police station to check in with Rod Crislers (SM) parole officer. When he's there, he's mistaken for a con artist whom the parole officer had an appt. with. Eventually the actual con artist shows up and he's very similar to Magnum in style.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Danno »

That's in By Its Cover, Season 3 with Stuart Margolin. Magnum is at the police station to check in with Rod Crislers (SM) parole officer. When he's there, he's mistaken for a con artist whom the parole officer had an appt. with. Eventually the actual con artist shows up and he's very similar to Magnum in style.
Ah yeah- thanks, Doc!

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Stelth »

A detail I recently noticed is that when Thomas is embarrassed, defeated, or proven wrong by Higgins, he hangs his head in shame. It's kind of a funny affectation.

Mozambique_patt
Lieutenant

#22 Post by Mozambique_patt »

Here's one but I need help on it. Recurring non-descript cars. In Beauty Knows No Pain, a blue 4 door Fairmount. I'm pretty sure this car is used in different episodes. You can see a pic of it in the "Pics" section. Another is the 1965 or 66 Ford 500 in Dead Mans Channel, I'm sure I saw it in another episode.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Stelth »

Mozambique_patt wrote:Here's one but I need help on it. Recurring non-descript cars. In Beauty Knows No Pain, a blue 4 door Fairmount. I'm pretty sure this car is used in different episodes. You can see a pic of it in the "Pics" section. Another is the 1965 or 66 Ford 500 in Dead Mans Channel, I'm sure I saw it in another episode.
I'll have to look for that.