Which Season Of Magnum PI Is Your Favorite?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Which Season Is Your Favorite?

Season 1
No votes
Season 2
20%
Season 3
20%
Season 4
30%
Season 5
No votes
Season 6
No votes
Season 7
30%
Season 8
No votes

Total votes: 10

MBJR9
Commander

Which Season Of Magnum PI Is Your Favorite?

#1 Post by MBJR9 »

I'm just kind of curious as to what everybody's favorite seasons are as whole? I can't answer accurately because I don't think I've ever seen all the episodes of all the seasons (I've loved Magnum for a while, but just got really big into it now. I'm a converted Dukes of Hazzard fan).

So, tell us your favorite season and why.

And I'm pretty sure that this is the correct section, it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by lutherhgillis »

I think the series hit its stride beginning in season 3. 1 and 2 were pretty good also. 3, 4, and 5 were strong. 6 sort of wobbled around looking for direction, in my opinion. Season 7 tried to grow Magnum up very quickly and 8 was a hodge-podge of episodes thrown together. All in all, the series is very good. I would vote for 3, 4, or 5 as being the best...

grundle
Admiral

#3 Post by grundle »

My favorite is season 2. It has more of my favoritre episodes than any other season. The Woman On The Beach, The Jororo Kill, Texas Lightning, and so many other wonderful episodes. There's lots of action, fun, mystery, and romance, too.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

grundle wrote:There's lots of action, fun, mystery, and romance, too.
I'm probably somewhere between Season 2 and 3. But Season 2 does seem to really sum up the classic Magnum P.I. elements very well. Even though Season 7 is the best dramatic year, sometimes you just want to see Magnum goofing off and conning his friends. :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Indeed, Seasons 2 and 3 (and I would add 4) are really good seasons, but I have to go with 7 by a nose, mainly because of the number of classic, truly great, episodes found within it ("Death and Taxes", "Little Girl Who", "Paper War", "Autumn Warrior", "Laura" and "Limbo"). The season was very consistant, too. There really is not a bad episode in the entire season. I also kind of like how the overall tone changed to more serious and dramatic elements (although playfulness and goofiness could still be found). The timing was right for this. The production techniques seemed to be more polished and sophisticated, and I really like how they started using pop/rock songs as in-episode music.

But again, 2, 3, and 4 are right up there for me also. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

OK, close race for me.

DEFINITELY not Season 6, even there are a few standout episodes

Season 5 is so-so

Season 1 is nice for nostalgia value, but I don't think the writers were hitting their stride yet

Seasons 2-3 and 3 are pretty good. A few quirky stories here and there, but they start to establish more of a "history" in their 2 hr eps, namely "Memories are Forever" and "Did You See the Sunrise"

Season 7 for me is the "maturity" season, and you can tell by the tone and feel that they were trying to tie everything up.

However, season 4 is my favorite. Nice exposition of all the characters and their histories and it finally seems that Higgins is helping out on capers willingly, instead of being coerced. He then seems to become a character instead of a caricature.

Hmm, that reminds me. I was going to put together a post of all the character-centric episodes for those of us who have a favorite character....

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

This is a tough one, but for me I guess I would have to go with Season #4 followed very closely by season #7. Season #4 due to the introduction of my all time favorite recurring character, Luther H. Gillis and, a return visit by him 12 episodes later. I also loved "Rembrandts Girl" with Carol Burnett and for some reason "Limited Engagement" (I just found that all business, cold hearted and b*tchy Darleen Carr character so darn sexy). Season #7 just seemed to take the show to the next level especially starting with "Death and Taxes" with Tom Selleck starting to Produce episodes and one of the funniest episodes of all, "Paper War". Great question, and I look forward to seeeing more poll results........

Steve
Chicago