Magnum's 1911

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the input. The colt looks like what I might end up with at this point. Thanks a bunch for the link and the info. It's between that and the GSG. I actually looked at the option of the "conversion" kit, but decided that same thing mentioned, would eventually end up with a gun that didn't work at all, or at least not like I'd want it to. I think the dedicated cal. is the better choice for me given the intended use.

Handguns are certainly not the only thing that "they don't make like they used to!" but as I said, just want this for plinkin' and target shooting out at the shop. Thought about buying my sons Walther P22, as he's done all the upgrades to it that make it dependable and fun to shoot, but he needs to get out of it almost as much as I'm looking to spend on the 1911 replica.

Thanks again to you guys, I knew those who knew would lend their expertise, and as I said, it's appreciated! :wink:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by only looking »

only looking wrote:You could always buy you a nice 1911 in 45acp and then buy a 22 conversion kit that way you could still have it in 45acp and still be able to have the gun target pratice in 22. :wink:
The main problem with doing that is wear pattern mismatch. Moving parts wear together (and to a point, this mutual wear between moving parts is beneficial, which is where the "breaking in" concept comes from), and when you put on new parts (a .22 conversion kit in this case), the wear pattern will start to change. Then when you go back to your old parts (back to .45 in this case), they will no longer fit in the same way that they used to. This difference in fit might be negligible or it might be significant, depending on how often the gun is fired with each set of parts.[/quote]

True, but with as much as most people shoot, unless you're really throwing the round thru...it won't matter. My gandfather was a gunsmith for years and he did that and never ran into any problems. Also depends on the quality of the firearm as well.A higher quality weapon would have less chance of that happening as well. :wink:
It made me do it Higgins!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by 308GUY »

If "money is no object" applied to my situation, I would probably have an original 1911 .45 AND a dedicated 1911 .22! As you point out, if you buy a quality piece to begin with, the wear patterns would not be much of an issue. I understand that and totally agree...BUT my finances being what they are...I'll have to count on my 9mm for "stopping" power and go with the dedicated .22 for target/plinking duty.:)

Thanks all for the input. I really like the Colt Govt. Mdl. mentioned earlier in this thread, but haven't found anybody locally that has it in stock, and I'm still waiting to hear back from fierarmspro.com concerning ordering one from them, as the instruction for that unit say to call to order. Calling gets you further instructions to send them an email, which I've done and am still waiting to hear back.

The Chiappa is starting to look better to me at this point, at least I was able to physically inspect it and could walk out with it today if I decided it was what I wanted to end up with, but I'm gonna wait a while on the Colt, hopefully, it'll be available through proper channels.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by only looking »

there's plenty of online gun auctions...check them out...just ask your local gun shop if they would do all the paperwork as the seller would have to ship the gun to them...they cant just send it to you, unless you have a FFL...doesnt cost a whole lot to do it...and you can sometimes find some good deals :wink: .
It made me do it Higgins!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by 308GUY »

Yes, I've talked to my local guy. He will accept anything I decide on and do all associated paper work for $25, that seems extremely reasonable to me.

I heard back from Firearmspro about the Colt (Umerex/Walther) 1911 .22LR...they are sold out, no ETA on new stock.

I'm hesitant to start just "looking around" for auctions and/or sales sights, as last time I did that, picked up a nasty trojan virus, took two days to get the system straightened back out.

If anyone can provide a link to SAFE sites, or auctions, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, like I said, I may be looking a little more seriously at the Chiappa. I've seen split reviews on it, but other than being cheaply made from lesser materials, more than 60% have nothing bad to say about it.

Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Reef monkey »

MaximRecoil wrote:Magnum was ahead of his time. In 1980, who carried a 1911 or any other type of full-size semi-automatic pistol? Nearly all cops at the time carried revolvers, and private investigators usually carried snub-nosed .38s, at least on TV and in the movies (I've never met a private investigator in real life). This made Magnum's pistol stand out to me as a kid, because it was so different than the usual revolver. Plus, it just looked plain awesome to me. As a kid I thought that revolvers looked "old-fashioned", and Magnum's pistol looked modern, futuristic even. I was shocked when I discovered it was introduced in 1911.

Nowadays, practically all cops carry semi-automatic pistols, in real life and on TV / in movies, as does pretty much everyone else; but that was far from the case in 1980. Back then on TV and in the movies, semi-automatic pistols were mostly only seen in the hands of soldiers or Al Capone-type gangsters.
I had the exact same impression myself. Other than James Bond and his PPK, all the movie/tv cops/detectives/etc I watched as a little kid in the early 80s had revolvers, and all our toy guns were revolvers, until Magnum came along, when a lot of M1911A1 pattern toy guns came on the market. I remember having a bluish/greyish plastic one with black grips that said "Magnum 45" on it.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Mike Hammer

#37 Post by MagnumILWU »

Reef monkey wrote:
MaximRecoil wrote:Magnum was ahead of his time. In 1980, who carried a 1911 or any other type of full-size semi-automatic pistol? Nearly all cops at the time carried revolvers, and private investigators usually carried snub-nosed .38s, at least on TV and in the movies (I've never met a private investigator in real life). This made Magnum's pistol stand out to me as a kid, because it was so different than the usual revolver. Plus, it just looked plain awesome to me. As a kid I thought that revolvers looked "old-fashioned", and Magnum's pistol looked modern, futuristic even. I was shocked when I discovered it was introduced in 1911.

Nowadays, practically all cops carry semi-automatic pistols, in real life and on TV / in movies, as does pretty much everyone else; but that was far from the case in 1980. Back then on TV and in the movies, semi-automatic pistols were mostly only seen in the hands of soldiers or Al Capone-type gangsters.
I had the exact same impression myself. Other than James Bond and his PPK, all the movie/tv cops/detectives/etc I watched as a little kid in the early 80s had revolvers, and all our toy guns were revolvers, until Magnum came along, when a lot of M1911A1 pattern toy guns came on the market. I remember having a bluish/greyish plastic one with black grips that said "Magnum 45" on it.
Mickey Spillanes's Mike Hammer! The show in the 80's may have started after Magnum, But Mike Hammer had been carrying a 1911 Colt Government model since the books started in the late 40's! In the TV show I believe he carried a 1970's model(Betsy)! In the books, Mike had his 45 from WWII. I loved the strap hook on the butt. Mike said they were good for bashing people!
"pickled egg please"

Sean Thornton
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Magnum's 1911

#38 Post by Sean Thornton »

The 1911 is one of the best gun designs ever. I have a couple of Series 70s in .45 ACP and a Series 80 in .38 Super for shooting live rounds. However I also do WWII reenacting and wanted a 1911 to shoot blanks. I first had a Springfield Armory 1911 in .45 but it just was not reliable enough. I then bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 9mm. I converted it to shoot blanks by buying another barrel and blank adapting it. I make my own blanks using 5.56 cases converted. This 1911 fires almost flawlessly. My load makes a nice fire ball and plenty loud as a live round. I have fried well over 3000 blanks through this Rock Island Armory 1911.I have always like the muzzle flash in the ending of Ivan who saw the sun rise for the last time.

Timantec
Ensign

Re: Magnum's 1911

#39 Post by Timantec »

I have an issue with the site and the link. When I tried the link, it came up dead. So I went to the main page and did some searching and didn't come up with his 1911 but rather a Walther PPK? What?!?! :roll:

http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the ... r-ppk.aspx

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

Re:

#40 Post by The Birdman »

J.J. Walters wrote:Speaking of Magnum's guns, what is he carrying here? A Beretta 92 9mm??

From "The Jororo Kill"...

I know somebody else already pointed out that that was a "92" not a 92fs, but I wanted to add a little history, notice it doesn't have a safety on the slide? It had the safety on the frame like the Taurus PT92. People think Taurus copied Beretta but changed the safety, but actually they were copying the original Beretta 92.
Slide mounted safetys are very Euopean, ironically the US military wanted that on the M9 and it has been a sore spot ever since. Americans like our frame mounted, down to fire safeties.
Uh PHRASING!!!!