The Ferrari

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#61 Post by Karrnut »

I have heard of Archie, his work, and rep, are excellent.
"Low rent knuckle busters." - Rick

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#62 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:You Fiero guys will probably appreciate this site......
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm
Archie is located north of Rockford, Il and has a passion for converting Fiero's and even installs V-8's into them!
Awesome. You notice the Lamborghini kit? You'd never guess it was actually a Pontiac Fiero!

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by KENJI »

The Ferrari 458 now comes in a Spyder version which is really nice. If they ever do a movie this would be the car, plus with the retractable roof Tom would fit in it!

TheLads
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#64 Post by TheLads »

KENJI wrote:The Ferrari 458 now comes in a Spyder version which is really nice. If they ever do a movie this would be the car, plus with the retractable roof Tom would fit in it!
That is correct. The 458 Italia is the most recent successor of Ferraris down from the 308. It'd be perfectly understandable that Robin Masters, who is still writing, needs Magnum's services again, so it's off to Hawaii to tool around in a new 458! :D

Styles Bitchley

#65 Post by Styles Bitchley »

TheLads wrote:
KENJI wrote:The Ferrari 458 now comes in a Spyder version which is really nice. If they ever do a movie this would be the car, plus with the retractable roof Tom would fit in it!
That is correct. The 458 Italia is the most recent successor of Ferraris down from the 308. It'd be perfectly understandable that Robin Masters, who is still writing, needs Magnum's services again, so it's off to Hawaii to tool around in a new 458! :D
Yep. You guys are on the money with that one. If there is a Magnum movie, this will certainly be the car!

For those interested, here's a good article on it: http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazin ... p?id=15403
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#66 Post by Karrnut »

Yep, that gets my vote.
I can just see a Detroit Tigers baseball cap sticking up over the windshield!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#67 Post by The Birdman »

Buck wrote:If Magnum would have stayed on the air a couple more seasons, I think they would have gotten a Ferrari 328. It looks almost the same as the 308, but it is faster.

When Magnum raced the Corvette Stingray in the first episode, the Ferrari was the faster car. By the time 1984 came the 308 would not be the fastest car on the road. Magnum would need the extra horse power of the 328 to beat the modern sports cars of the mid to late 1980's.
Really? I always thought that by about '77 through mid '80s the corvette was so choked by smog control that it had about 100 horse power? Unless you are talking about one that had that removed? :wink: I think around '90 things started getting good anain with TBI and computors. I can't believe the HP ratings on new cars today, cameros and vettes.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Wow, that is a nice car...

Just found this while browsing some comic strips.... enjoy!

Styles Bitchley

#69 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Watched National Lampoon's Vacation over the weekend and was reminded of the "other" Ferrari 308 GTS that fuelled my boyhood fantasies...sure doesn't hurt that Christie Brinkley was at the wheel.

Boy, that car was popular in the early 80s (Vacation came out in 1983). I wonder why Ferrari stopped making cars like the 308 that were somewhat in reach to the masses? All their new models are certified super-cars, financially in reach to only the most crooked of stock brokers!

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Steve »

I recall the 308's were still priced at about four times the salary I was earning in the early eighties and just a dream for me. They were also extremely expensive to have simple things like tune-ups performed on them. You sure can pick one up for a very reasonable price now but you still would have that maintenance problem (unless you have a "certified Ferarri mechanic" friend like TC)...........

Styles Bitchley

#71 Post by Styles Bitchley »

No doubt they were expensive, but it seems to me that they were cheaper (relatively) than what they cost now. After all, they were far more common a sight back then than Ferraris are now. They were more like seeing a Porsche 911. At least that's how I remember things in Toronto back in the 80s.

MSRP for a 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia: $229,825
MSRP for a 1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi (at the time): $40,576

That's gotta be more than the rate of inflation!

- J.Q.H.

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#72 Post by Karrnut »

Prices today for a 308 GTB are running from $24,000 to $34,000. And you get what you pay for.

RamblerReb
Commander

#73 Post by RamblerReb »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
MSRP for a 2012 Ferrari 458 Italia: $229,825
MSRP for a 1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi (at the time): $40,576

That's gotta be more than the rate of inflation!
It's about double the rate of inflation. $40,000 would be about $113,000 now in US dollars. Considering the level of technology packed into the car now (double-clutch seven-speed trans, fully automatic convertible hardtop, etc.), I'd be willing to bet that the 458 in 1980 would have cost $80k or so, putting it on par with its current price.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Magnum T. »

Sergio Pininfarina, designer of the 308, passed away last night.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

RamblerReb
Commander

#75 Post by RamblerReb »

Magnum T. wrote:Sergio Pininfarina, designer of the 308, passed away last night.
:cry: