T.C.'s coffee mug on ebay plus more

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

T.C.'s coffee mug on ebay plus more

#1 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Marco
Commander

#2 Post by Marco »

These "props" are all fake - they are relisted every week (nearly) and it's nothing authentic, not even from Hawaii.

I am not sure it is actually legal to sell these broadcast tapes. Besides the fact they are unusable for non-professionals (who has access to such a tape machine these days??) I bet it could create some trouble buying them. Not sure though - some years ago I obtained a 16mm "Broadcast" print of a MPI episode and it was shipped & received just fine. But who knows.

Remember the prop guy who wanted to sell the "behind the scenes" videtapes plus dailies from the show? Afaik he got quite some trouble just trying to sell these. So - not sure I would list such tapes on eBay.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: T.C.'s coffee mug on ebay plus more

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

So if I understand this guy's business correctly, he watches old shows with a devoted fan following and then sources products that look like the items he sees on the screen. Then he sells them as a "memorabilia" item. Nowhere does he say that it is an actual screen used prop from the show. Magically, a 99 cent lei becomes a $100 one???
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Marco
Commander

#4 Post by Marco »

That's exactly how it works. And even more in the area of "original" shirts which often turn out non-originals even some paid several thousands of dollars for them.

Some of this is also mentioned here: http://www.contactmusic.com/news/tom-se ... ts_1330525

This is just an example - but a good one. I own some real original props - but I have some lessons learned here. There are a lot of fakes - and since some old series from the 80s (and before) became very popular again (due to re-runs and DVD releases) there is a huge market.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Brian »

Marco if you need you're 16mm transferred to DVD let me know. It's just one of the many things I do at my job.
Sneakers Higgins!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#6 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Would the scripts be legit?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the link Marco. I've never heard of this "Squeak" woman before. Of course, now every scammer on ebay will be pulling out a felt tip pen and writing it inside their shirts!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Marco
Commander

#8 Post by Marco »

The scripts should be no problem - 99% of the ones sold on eBay are just copies, anyway. Getting a really prodction used one is pretty rare these days, too.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by steveadl »

This guy (and others like him on eBay) really give me the $h!ts. It's a joke and actually quite appalling on ebays behalf they are allowed to constantly list this sort of stuff as "authentic, screen used" etc

I can't tell you how many hundreds of times the authentic Magnum PI "glass nut dish" has shown up in my eBay search alerts.

Take small solace in the fact that not many people would fall for it.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Only a glass nut would ... :D