Magnum's US Navy G-1 Jacket.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#31 Post by N1095A »

Lt Tanaka wrote:
N1095A wrote:
Lt Tanaka wrote:Say what? Now I'm even more confused. How could something not be made in a place if the label is cut off? Why is "made in China" something people don't want?
Sorry for not replying sooner. This jacket is a replica of a U.S. military uniform, (Or at least part of one) and threfore would never be made in China.
Thanks. That makes sense I guess. Is it a legal requirement that all US military stuff is American made?
I don't know about legal, but it just isn't done. I remember there was a big stink a few years back that some BDUs were being made in China, and it was stopped because of the outcry.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Waterbug Blue »

I'm not quite sure if Magnum's actually wearing a genuine G-1 ... the pocket flaps on the G-1 tend to be cut off straight and fastened with a more or less massive button. Also, there is some leather under the zip (probably protecting the garments you wear underneath from your chest down) that you do not find on Magnum's jacket. And the G-1 does not have epaulets as a rule...
The flaps and epaulets hint at an Air Force A-2 ... but there is no (faux) fur collar on any of them.
To get maximum use, I decided to opt for this one for myself: a brown Schott 184 sm (like this one: http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lengt ... flight.htm), only I got a real deal in ebay. All I had to do is get a new zipper - schott actually provided a replacement one free of charge - and some new knits. It altogether was less than $300, including postage, knit replacement and alteration, and I am as happy as could be ... but yes, they DO run tight!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#33 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Waterbug Blue wrote:I'm not quite sure if Magnum's actually wearing a genuine G-1 ... the pocket flaps on the G-1 tend to be cut off straight and fastened with a more or less massive button. Also, there is some leather under the zip (probably protecting the garments you wear underneath from your chest down) that you do not find on Magnum's jacket. And the G-1 does not have epaulets as a rule...
The flaps and epaulets hint at an Air Force A-2 ... but there is no (faux) fur collar on any of them.
To get maximum use, I decided to opt for this one for myself: a brown Schott 184 sm (like this one: http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lengt ... flight.htm), only I got a real deal in ebay. All I had to do is get a new zipper - schott actually provided a replacement one free of charge - and some new knits. It altogether was less than $300, including postage, knit replacement and alteration, and I am as happy as could be ... but yes, they DO run tight!
So do those Schott jackets live up to the reputation they've managed to achieve? Seems hard to believe that one company can make jackets so much better than everyone else!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Well I don't know about the better aspect - (which I tend to doubt out of principle) but mine IS absolutely fantastic. Versatile, thick leather, a style I most definitely like. And the free zipper thing is a beautiful extra. And although I am sure other manufacturers also come up with high quality products, mine most certainly was quite a bargain. I wouldn't see any reason why not to recommend it - but then, I do not use it for motorcycling, have no need for additional shoulder/elbow protection and certainly also no aspirations to test its protective qualities in knife brawls or agains gravel abrasion ;)

Styles Bitchley

#35 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Waterbug Blue wrote:I do not use it for motorcycling, have no need for additional shoulder/elbow protection and certainly also no aspirations to test its protective qualities in knife brawls or agains gravel abrasion ;)
:lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Well you know what it's like - there's always someone who says "But you won't stand a chance against ALIENS with a HEAT RAY LASER DAGGER..." and then go on to recommend their grandmother's homemade aluminum foil insulation vest, or some other obscure or overpriced alternative. ;)

Styles Bitchley

#37 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Reading through the size comments in this and the other thread on aloha shirts, all I have to say is this: I hope to have you all on my side next time I end up in a brawl at The Sing Sing!
ConchRepublican wrote:I went XL. I'm a little over 6' and weigh 228
Pahonu wrote:I'm 6-7 and about 280 so I'm sure I should get the 4X part, but I'm worried about the sleeve length and they don't make any extra-tall.
only looking wrote:I usually wear an XL in regular shirts
N1095A wrote:I'm 6'5" 270, and the Navy issued these to guys of average size so they simply were unavailable in my size.
No need for security at the inaugural Magnum Mania convention! :lol:

- J.Q.H.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Waterbug Blue »

well, sounds like MAGNUM, literally. :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#39 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Reading through the size comments in this and the other thread on aloha shirts, all I have to say is this: I hope to have you all on my side next time I end up in a brawl at The Sing Sing!
ConchRepublican wrote:I went XL. I'm a little over 6' and weigh 228
Pahonu wrote:I'm 6-7 and about 280 so I'm sure I should get the 4X part, but I'm worried about the sleeve length and they don't make any extra-tall.
only looking wrote:I usually wear an XL in regular shirts
N1095A wrote:I'm 6'5" 270, and the Navy issued these to guys of average size so they simply were unavailable in my size.
No need for security at the inaugural Magnum Mania convention! :lol:
No offense meant Styles, but are you intimating that you're the Rick of this group. :wink:

I'm reminded of the final episode Resolutions, when the tailor asks Rick if any of his friends are normal sized.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Brilliant!!

Styles Bitchley

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:No offense meant Styles, but are you intimating that you're the Rick of this group. :wink:

I'm reminded of the final episode Resolutions, when the tailor asks Rick if any of his friends are normal sized.
Probably not Rick, but maybe a T.C. (unfortunately, without the physique!).

- J.Q.H.