"A Lighter Side" Team ring.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

zendragon
Lieutenant

#16 Post by zendragon »

Have you guys ever seen this guy?

http://rocknrobbie.com/# and what do you think of his ring?

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

John's ring is the only way to go!!!

#17 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

I don't like rocknrobbie's ring. Not to be negative, but it's just not right. I think that the John's ring at "the lighter side" is the closes that you are going to get. I think that if I was going to get this ring, I would want it to be nearly exactly what Tom Selleck wore in the series. I even found on ebay supposely the actual mold of the team ring used in the series from Universal. The seller said he had COA. He was either offering to make the ring for the winner or actually selling the mold, I don't remember that, but I do remember the seller did have some pictures of the rings that he did and they were terrriblly produced. I don't know if it had to do with the seller's lack of expertise in producing the ring, or if it was a really bad mold. The seller was offering around $290 or $300 or so for it. I was interested in purchasing it but when I saw the pix's I was really turned off. I was hoping that finding that on ebay, that it would be a better alternative to John's $490 ring. One reason why I just went ahead and dropped the $490 is John said that he has been in this business for 30 plus years. I was thinking, if I wait to save up the money to buy his ring, he might be retired by then and then I really will never get that ring. He also mentioned that he could do the ring in 14k gold but the price would be $590. He said that all his customers get the 10k for $490 because it's harder and will last longer. I told him that I want it to look like gold. He said that he is able to polish the 10k to look like 14k. Plus, he recommends the 10k. I am getting a pendant made for my wife, and he said that he does those in 14k because he can't get the color he wants like he can get from the 10k ring. The pendants are $200. All those ss rings just don't cut it for me. When I want something done, I want it right. Even if I can't afford it. Sorry if I was so opinionated. Thanks for putting up with me everyone! Cheers
"Ohh...my...god...Magnum!!!" -Higgins

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#18 Post by IslandHopper »

zendragon wrote:Have you guys ever seen this guy?

http://rocknrobbie.com/# and what do you think of his ring?
I'm not really that impressed with his ring either. I noticed he also sells "Island Hoppers" t-shirts as well. In my opinion, the Island Hoppers design on the t-shirts he sells doesn't look nearly as good as the "IH" t-shirts you can get on cafepress.com. The letters on the shirts he sells seem to be too narrow and tall. The lei-border of the design also seems out of proportion as well.

When you got to cafepress.com type in key word: Island Hoppers and it will take you to several shirts including the "IH" shirts. I have purchased 3 of these, and the design looks right on. However, the t-shirts themselves seem to run a little small (100% cotton and may shirnk a little in the first washing).

For other Magnum P.I. related shirts and products from cafepress.com type in other keywords such as: Magnum P.I.; Magnum; Tom Selleck; and type in keyword Higgie Baby if you want a Higgins "Oh My God" t-shirt. :o
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

zendragon
Lieutenant

#19 Post by zendragon »

Thanks guys....

I have gotten a little confused, I have heard that the ring used in the pilot looked like this

and that the ring used through out the seasons was not as bevelled.

Also, it's my understanding that Robbie's rings are pretty accurate, and supposedly, he has the mold from Universal, although I am not 100% that is what he is using. He also said that he just made a ring for Larry off of that mold.

So if there are two versions of the ring, a pilot version and a series version, it's unclear as to which one he is producing.

What in your opinion is incorrect about the Robbie ring?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#20 Post by IslandHopper »

zendragon wrote:What in your opinion is incorrect about the Robbie ring?
Z,

It's not that anything is incorrect about the ring, it just doesn't look clean enough to me. I know that sounds kind of picky, but I tend to agree with Higgie Baby, and prefer the "Lighter Side" ring. It just looks cleaner and truer, if that makes any sense. Robbie's ring may actually be more authentic looking, because if I remember correctly, the ring worn by TS in the series was kind of beaten up with small dings and such. I always revert back to the scene in the pilot episode when Magnum empties Dan Cook's personal effects from the envelope and finally his team ring falls out onto the table. I think that is one of the best shots of the ring we get in the entire series. Again, I just prefer the look of the "Lighter Side" ring, and if I'm going to plop down $300.00 to $500.00 bucks for a ring, I'd like it to look as new and nice as I can get it, unless, of course, it is an authentic ring worn by one of the cast members. I don't think you can go wrong either way. :D
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

I agree completely. The cross of Lorraine is just a little too "sloppy" to me. In the early episodes, the ring does look a little "beat up" but I was watching season 6 and there was a clear shot of TM's ring with a descent close-up and I think also Rick's ring also in the same episode (sorry I don't remember which episode though) and throughout the years the ring became well produced. You could see the ring was well balanced with enough bezel to notice it and the cross was very even, compared to Robbie's rings. I understand that the "first version" of the ring was made out of brass, then in the middle of the series it was gold plated, then by the final season it was 14k gold. So who knows how the team ring was like throughout the series. I should say only Tom Selleck and the cast knows. Aloha

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

I just finished watching the bonus episode from season 7 on the season 6 DVD and there is a really close-up shot of Magnum's ring and it looks like the one from the first season, not really clean and the ends of the cross is not even or uniform. But I'm not sure by watching throughout the rest of the episode it looks like a really nice ring. I don't think the close-up was the actual ring on Tom Sellecks finger. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think they only use that certain ring for close-ups. I mentioned earlier that I saw a decent close-up of TM's and Rick's ring in an episode, I think in the 6th season and the rings looked really close to the "Lighter Side"'s ring. I will have to look and when I find the episode, I will post it so everyone can compare and let me know what you think. Please, James or anyone correct me if I am running off the road with this.
Aloha

zendragon
Lieutenant

#23 Post by zendragon »

From another board

"My understanding on the ring was they started out with a brass casting the first season of the show. As the seasons progressed, they cast the rings in silver and then gold plated them. Further on in the series as it was really gaining popularity, the cast was given the rings in 14 kt gold, which the cast members still have today"

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#24 Post by golfmobile »

What a very interesting dilemma! It's probably correct that early versions of the ring were not as precise as the later "edition." So getting the "sloppier" version would be just as accurate as the later "clean" version. It depends on what you want. To look at it one way, the less exact ring is the "true" ring as it was the one before the popularity took over and required its recreation into a "prettier," more presentable version. Or does one want the ring as an "icon" of the show, after its popularity was established?

I think it could go either way. In some ways, the guy making the less defined ring is not out of line and has a special ring too. This certainly changes MY opinion of his efforts. So it's not HIS ineptitude in trying to make the ring but the lack of definition in the first rings made. As I said, an interesting development. But both versions seem to have "provenance," wouldn't we say?

Since I can't afford $300-500 for either, I'll enjoin everyone else's acquisition. I can see "points" for either choice.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

zendragon
Lieutenant

#25 Post by zendragon »

golfmobile wrote:What a very interesting dilemma! It's probably correct that early versions of the ring were not as precise as the later "edition." So getting the "sloppier" version would be just as accurate as the later "clean" version. It depends on what you want. To look at it one way, the less exact ring is the "true" ring as it was the one before the popularity took over and required its recreation into a "prettier," more presentable version. Or does one want the ring as an "icon" of the show, after its popularity was established?

I think it could go either way. In some ways, the guy making the less defined ring is not out of line and has a special ring too. This certainly changes MY opinion of his efforts. So it's not HIS ineptitude in trying to make the ring but the lack of definition in the first rings made. As I said, an interesting development. But both versions seem to have "provenance," wouldn't we say?

Since I can't afford $300-500 for either, I'll enjoin everyone else's acquisition. I can see "points" for either choice.

golf
I would agree that both rings would probably be correct, as both represent a different time in the show.

The good news is that Robbie does offer a brass alloy version, which I believe is under $200

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#26 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

I would have to agree with golf. I never thought of that but it makes since that the first few productions of the ring were not accurate in design, but as the series gained popularity they probably wanted a more "Hollywood" look for the ring instead of one that looked like it was produced in a garage. What I think is interesting though is when the show needed a close-up in an episode, even in the later years, they still go back to the orginal ring or one of the earlier rings for the close-up. Aloha

Buzz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by Buzz »

Hi all,

I've decided to sell my Lighter Side Team Ring. It's size 9 1/4 (though it can be sized of course). PM me if interested.

(Mod, delete this if inappropriate)

HIGGIE BABY
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#28 Post by HIGGIE BABY »

Sorry to hear that Buzz,
I would buy it but I ordered one a few weeks ago. Is there something wrong with the ring or do you just need the money kinda thing? Well, good luck to you and Aloha!

Buzz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#29 Post by Buzz »

Definitely just a "something's come up and I need the money" kind of thing. Nothing wrong with the ring - I'll be sad to see it go.