'Hi guy!'

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

'Hi guy!'

#1 Post by Danno »

I always laugh when Magnum says this.

I've never heard anyone ever say this outside of the MPI universe though.
'Hi, guys' sure... but 'Hi, guy'... never.

Was it a common expression in the 80s or something? Is it more an American thing? Or just peculiar to Thomas Magnum?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by erock308 »

I have a customer that says "Hi Guy" all the time, plus he has a magnum stash! I get a big kick out of it, I never asked him if he was a fan.
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've heard it, but usually not in a friendly way. More like a "Hey Bud," sort of thing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by AmandaByNight »

I think I'm the only I know who says that, obviously because of Magnum, and I only say it to my cats!

Louise
Captain

#5 Post by Louise »

AmandaByNight wrote:I think I'm the only I know who says that, obviously because of Magnum, and I only say it to my cats!
Awwww, that's really sweet. By the way, one of my cats is called Thomas (gosh, I wonder who I named him after...) A couple of years ago I was also feeding a black short-haired feral cat that started hanging around my house - what else could I call him but TC? He used to disappear for days at a time and then disappeared for ever so I hope he just moved on to pastures new.

I also had an elderly female cat for a few weeks that had been brought in as a stray to the vets where I used to work. So of course, she had to be called Agatha. Sadly, she had to be put to sleep because of health problems.

Do you think I'm a little bit too obsessed? :D

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by AmandaByNight »

Louise wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I think I'm the only I know who says that, obviously because of Magnum, and I only say it to my cats!
Awwww, that's really sweet. By the way, one of my cats is called Thomas (gosh, I wonder who I named him after...) A couple of years ago I was also feeding a black short-haired feral cat that started hanging around my house - what else could I call him but TC? He used to disappear for days at a time and then disappeared for ever so I hope he just moved on to pastures new.

I also had an elderly female cat for a few weeks that had been brought in as a stray to the vets where I used to work. So of course, she had to be called Agatha. Sadly, she had to be put to sleep because of health problems.

Do you think I'm a little bit too obsessed? :D
I love your cat-Magnum tie in! I adore cats as well, and Magnum, so it makes sense to me! I'm so sorry to hear about Agatha. Awwww... that's the main reason I could never work at a vet office.

One of my cats is named Tom as well, but the other is named Huck. They belonged to my husband, who obviously loves Mark Twain, before we met. Tom is right here actually... waiting for some luvin'!

Cutter
Lieutenant

#7 Post by Cutter »

I am a police officer by trade and somehow whenever I break up a party or have similar encounters I always say "Hi Guys" as an introduction.....I wonder why...

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by steveadl »

I haven't heard it in real life, but I love it on the show. Usually means a big heavy's just walked in and about to thump TM, or at least intends to. :)