The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#541 Post by Steve »

Notice the plasic slide and the swing set in the bottom picture. I wonder if the good Lady Anderson has relatives with children that come over to play............

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#542 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:Notice the plasic slide and the swing set in the bottom picture. I wonder if the good Lady Anderson has relatives with children that come over to play............
Yeah, she's a spinster, no?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#543 Post by Sam »

Thanks JJ,

I'll give it a look...Also there are two additional episodes in season 11 but they are just establishing shots.I'll get you the names of those episodes.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#544 Post by Pahonu »

Great shots Sam! I have been looking for some shots like these of the rear of the estate. These must be older shots, no? Because in all the more recent photos, the foliage is so overgrown you can't see the lanais clearly. I have them on my model because they are shown in the property tax sketches, but will have to make some alterations to them and a couple of other things I can see now. I hope you get to see it. Thanks again!
Last edited by Pahonu on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#545 Post by Sam »

I just have a minute now but no,,the pic was taken in Feb of this year.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#546 Post by Sam »

Pahonu,

Becauses in all the more recent photos, the foliage is so overgrown you can't see the lanais clearly

If you compare the photo that I left vs. the photos from RC,the two things that stand out.The new roof and the lack of foliage on the roof line of the entire house.My guess is the crap needed to be cutback in order to reroof the house.This photo from HFO shows the corner lanai.

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#547 Post by Sam »

Hi RC,

Great pics..Looks like the dogs eyes are closed.."I'm not looking down"

I think the new roof is only to stop her mind from wandering,I don't see any evidence to show that an attempt is being made to fix it up.

Our photos were taken almost 3 years apart and the blue tarp and ladder are in the same spot.I noticed something else,circled in blue,but can't tell what it is..it does appear to be on her property.Any ideas.

That green tile is popular now,I've notice in some new construction on Oahu the builders are using green.

Last edited by Sam on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#548 Post by Sam »

Steve wrote:Notice the plasic slide and the swing set in the bottom picture. I wonder if the good Lady Anderson has relatives with children that come over to play............
Sometime within the last 5-6 years I read that Anderson had a relative living with her.A girl in her mid 20's,if true,it's possible that she has a kid and the swing and slide are hers.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#549 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: I noticed something else,circled in blue,but can't tell what it is..it does appear to be on her property.Any ideas.

I think I have some idea what the structure circled in blue is. I remember reading a blog a couple of years ago from someone who had attended the pug meetup on the estate, I think it was. Any way, they commented on having to use outdoor showers and toilets that were located behind the house. I had always wondered what they were, and I think that's what were looking at. They appear to be shed roof structures with plastic skylights on top pushed up against the back wall of the property.

What's the red circle for?

Also notice how much foliage has encroached on the turn around section of the driveway in front of the side porch. TM couldn't drive the Ferrari in a circle around there anymore with all the growth.

The tarp has also been removed from covering the larger of the two lanais. I'm sure that flat roof section was replaced along with the new tile. The green tile seem more Asian-inspired to me. Then again, the black tile weren't particulary Spanish Colonial Revival as is the home's style. I asked a question about them being black before, but know one had any comments. They really should be terra cotta in color to be stylistically accurate. I wonder if they were originally terra cotta when the house was built in 1933. Either way, they don't match the gate house and boathouse now, unless those were also redone?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#550 Post by KENJI »

When I was looking at Scotty's pics from his trip, I noticed that the roof colour looked different. The photos that Sam and RC found show the roof colour to be very patchy in some places which has me thinking that either the roofer put one shade of the green altogether from one pallet without mixing the pallets to get a more uniform look OR they replaced broken and worn out tiles with new green ones and then painted the rest of the roof to save money which will be an absolute mess in a few years!!! The sun,salt and wind will eat the paint for breakfast! Any thoughts?

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#551 Post by Lily »

Perhaps someone else will be able to report back sooner, if not I will be back there again in the middle of February, so can report all after that.

Does look like some well needed repairs are finally being made, noticeably the roof, also chimney on the ocean side. The latter was badly crumbling. This year I noticed a window boarded up on that same side and wondered what was going on there.

Tayne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#552 Post by Tayne »

rubber chicken wrote:OK, I've really been slacking on adding pictures of the estate to this thread. I apologize for that!

The reader should be advised not to get too excited, but I have the screenshots from the Murder She Wrote episode Death in Hawaii. It's the forth episode in season 11, and originally aired on October 16th, 1994.

The letdown is that the estate wasn't actually used as a filming location in this episode. It is seen however, for literally about two and a half seconds, via stock footage taken from a Magnum P.I. episode!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the show didn't even go to Hawaii for this episode. I watched it a few months ago now, but if I remember correctly there isn't a single shot proving that Angela Lansbury was actually on Oahu. Stock footage (possibly more from Magnum) is used as establishing shots, but outside shots made for this episode appear to me to have been shot in California, not on Oahu.

In the show, the estate footage is supposed to show Jessica Fletcher and a lady police officer in between leaving the police station and arriving at the "Kinkaid sugar mill". (I didn't really check, but I believe the Waialua Sugar Mill is seen in stock footage.) The estate footage shows the Audi on the driveway quickly leaving the estate, err... police station. It doesn't really make sense.

This might make for a good game though. Can anyone name the episode? It would be an episode where Higgins or someone else driving the Audi is leaving the estate, needing to get somewhere quick. And judging by the dust already over the driveway, it appears that another car had just recently driven down it. The three screenshots below show the beginning, middle, and end of the 2.5 second clip seen in Death in Hawaii.

Not sure this was ever answered but the episode was Mad Buck Gibson.
Buck steals the Ferrari and then Thomas chases after him in the Audi.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#553 Post by rubber chicken »

Welcome to Magnum Mania Tayne. Good first post! I double-checked and I agree it's the scene, starting at 33:37 in Mad Buck Gibson.

In the Murder She Wrote shots they zoomed in a bit, resulting in the tennis court fence not being seen. I wonder if they hoped people wouldn't recognize the estate as easily without the fence in the shot. Or maybe the closer shot was to emphasize the speed of the car. Here's the two versions for comparison:

Murder She Wrote

Magnum P.I.

I hope Tom got a check for his two and a half second appearance!

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#554 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

rubber chicken wrote: I hope Tom got a check for his two and a half second appearance!
Haha! Not very likely! :lol:
Amazing that you noticed!!!! I don't think they cut the fence out for reasons of recognising the estate to be honest. I think it was more an aesthetic decision.
Last edited by Visiting Stewardess on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#555 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice work RC! Thanks for the episode ID Tayne. Welcome!

How odd would that have to been to watch the original airing of "Death in Hawaii" and see that scene. "Hey, wait, that's the Estate! Why is Jessica leaving Robin's Nest in Higgins' car? Jessica, what have you done with Higgy-Baby??" :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!