G'day everyone - shots from my trip to Oahu

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

sarge
Ensign

#16 Post by sarge »

great pics ! hope to be there next year

Sarge in sydney

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by Lt Tanaka »

PhatCat wrote:Much adieu about nothing?
:wink:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#18 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Lt Tanaka wrote:
PhatCat wrote:Much adieu about nothing?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

scotty73 wrote:One cool thing that happened when we got there was getting changed into the boardies at the the beach park when a group of local school kids turned up and they played their ukeleles and sang traditional Hawai'in songs in the change rooms - amazing acoustics!
When I was there, there was a couple of big old Hawaiian guys sitting on the park bench singing and playing ukes. Pretty cool.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Seaver41 »

North Shore is a must..........gotta do a shark dive.

The Turtle Bay Club is a real nice place to say up on your way to North Shore.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Wow!!! just - wow! Thank you for these pictures!!!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by steveadl »

Great photos, thanks for posting!

Gotta say the thing that confuses me the most is the hap hazard way repairs and maintenance are carried out on the estate. I realize it's a huge place and right next to the ocean, so maintenance would pretty much be a non-stop, year round thing. But you see stuff like the boat house start to get repainted, then half way down the wall they just stopped and moved onto another job somewhere else and that's the way it stays.

I mean, an extra 20 mins and the whole wall would have been finished. Just find it hard to understand the thinking behind it. Go to the trouble of removing screens from windows, paint around, replace screens, but don't finish the painting. What the?!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#23 Post by Pahonu »

steveadl wrote:Great photos, thanks for posting!

Gotta say the thing that confuses me the most is the hap hazard way repairs and maintenance are carried out on the estate. I realize it's a huge place and right next to the ocean, so maintenance would pretty much be a non-stop, year round thing. But you see stuff like the boat house start to get repainted, then half way down the wall they just stopped and moved onto another job somewhere else and that's the way it stays.

I mean, an extra 20 mins and the whole wall would have been finished. Just find it hard to understand the thinking behind it. Go to the trouble of removing screens from windows, paint around, replace screens, but don't finish the painting. What the?!
I think it might not be just new paint, but also new plaster or stucco. They simply patched in the places where the stucco was failing to stop water intrusion into the building. Then they probably painted only those areas to protect it and not the whole house. It certainly is the chear way to do it, but it better explains the seeming randomness of it all.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Still very strange. Why not just paint the whole wall as steveadl said, even if they replaced plaster/stucco. There's no real logic behind painting just bits of it.

Suzie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by Suzie »

Just amazing photo's looks like you had a great time. Planning a trip now! When is the best time of year in Hawaii to visit or doesn't it matter?
"Now I know what you're thinking."

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#26 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Suzie wrote:Just amazing photo's looks like you had a great time. Planning a trip now! When is the best time of year in Hawaii to visit or doesn't it matter?
Weather-wise, it doesn't matter. My brother-in-law lived there for a few years while he was in the military. He got bored with it being perfect every day.
Cool pics, Scotty73! 8)

scotty73
Captain

#27 Post by scotty73 »

Hi Suzie - yeah, like StarchedUndershirts said, really doesn't matter when you guys, the weather is awesome pretty much all year round. Think about avoiding the peak times though (US holiday periods) as things will be cheaper, particularly accommodation. And thanks StarchedUndershirts, much appreciated!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Sam »

Hi Guys..I'm going to disagree on the weather.June,July,August and September are the best weather months.Highs around 90°,lows in the mid

70's and very little rainfall.The winter months of Nov,Dec, Jan and Feb average 80° for a high and low to mid 60's with an average of 3 inches

of rain per month.If you go in the winter months take a sweater or light jacket.A 60° rainy evening will have your teeth chattering.

Edit to add weather historic averages.

Historic Average
Home » Local » Historic Averages Send this page to a friend
Honolulu, Hawaii
Weather Report | Interactive Weather Map | Extended Forecast | Hourly Forecast | Past Observations | Historic Averages |

Related Related Arrow

RSS Print Email
Monthly Averages & Records - °F | °C
Date Average
Low Average
High Record
Low Record
High Average
Precipitation Average
Snow
January 66° 80° 52° (1969) 88° (1996) 2.73" NA
February 65° 81° 52° (1902) 88° (1984) 2.35" NA
March 67° 82° 53° (1891) 89° (1960) 1.89" NA
April 68° 83° 56° (1958) 91° (1996) 1.11" NA
May 70° 85° 60° (2006) 93° (1988) 0.78" NA
June 72° 87° 63° (1891) 92° (1996) 0.43" NA
July 74° 88° 63° (1899) 94° (1995) 0.5" NA
August 75° 89° 63° (1894) 93° (1997) 0.46" NA
September 74° 89° 65° (1890) 95° (1994) 0.74" NA
October 73° 87° 61° (1993) 94° (1984) 2.18" NA
November 71° 84° 57° (1990) 93° (1986) 2.27" NA
December 68° 82° 54° (1962) 89° (1995) 2.85" NA

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Histor ... n=USHI0026

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Steve »

Don't forget the winter months might also bring in the infamous Kona Winds that may just have those of us of the male persuassion getting mixed up with a Femme Fatale!!!!!

Styles Bitchley

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Hi Guys..I'm going to disagree on the weather. June, July, August and September are the best weather months. Highs around 90°,lows in the mid 70's and very little rainfall.The winter months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb average 80° for a high and low to mid 60's with an average of 3 inches of rain per month. If you go in the winter months take a sweater or light jacket.A 60° rainy evening will have your teeth chattering.
Thanks Sam, but that Fahrenheit confuses the hell out of me! Lemme translate into metric for us non-Americans:
Sam wrote:Hi Guys..I'm going to disagree on the weather. June, July, August and September are the best weather months. Highs around 32°C,lows in the low 20's and very little rainfall. The winter months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb average 27°C for a high and low to mid teens with an average of 3 inches of rain per month. If you go in the winter months take a sweater or light jacket. A 15°C rainy evening will have your teeth chattering.
For the record, I was there in May and the weather was perfect.

- J.Q.H.