Magnum's Navy career

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's Navy career

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

Recent events of the Navy SEALS killing Bin Laden got me to thinking: have we ever established exactly what Magnum did in the US Navy? I only recall him as being retired from Naval Intelligence. Was he ever actually a SEAL? Doesn't he wear a belt or something with the SEAL insignia on it?
Just wondering...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#2 Post by N1095A »

He wears the SEAL insignia in later episodes. It was never clear when he switched his MOS, but in Vietnam it seems he was a SEAL, then at some point changed after the war to a position with Naval Intelligence.
Last edited by N1095A on Wed May 04, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That sounds about right to me. Although that would probably naver happen in the real Navy. Too much time and money is invested in training sailors within their particular rate.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

In the Magnuverse it was "NIA" (Naval Intelligence Agency). ;)

But you're right, we don't know for certain when Magnum became a SEAL, but it certainly seems like he was one in Vietnam. But if that's the case there becomes a timeline issue. He pretty much went right from the Academy to 'Nam and then served three tours. Somewhere in there in must have received SEAL training, which is something like two years, right? But maybe it wasn't as long back then, especially with a conflict like the Vietnam War going on.

In any event, after the War he went into Naval intelligence ("NIA") for 4 or 5 years and then resigned in 1979 with the surprising rank of only Lieutenant.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#5 Post by Pahonu »

He also mentions in one episode, can't remember which, that he was trained as a locksmith as well. I think he told Carol this information.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

I have always thought that our failed attempt on bombing Bin Laden in 1998 when we missed him by just a couple of hours could be a base for an oriiginal cast Magnum movie. I was thinking Magnum could be in charge of the elite Seal Team Six that was somhow involved in the failed attempt and TM was captured and been MIA until perhaps the events of Sunday night?...Just a thought.............

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by only looking »

You have to remember President Kennedy started the Special Forces groups like the Army's Green Berets during Viet Nam..with that being said..actual Navy frogmen which later became the Navy Seals...the training then was alot shorter and quicker than today standard..today ALOT more training and time are involved with Special Ops..especially with advanced weapon systems and technology in general...I've even heard of regular army guys that stood out being transferred to MAC/SOG because it was a learn as you go type of program.....tough times/desperate measures.....so Magnum could have transferred as alot of special ops units worked with CIA and other intelligence...so..pull a string or two...and it could have happened.
It made me do it Higgins!!!

KRJ
Ensign

#8 Post by KRJ »

Aloha,

Long time Magnum fan, first post here.

There is no conflict between the details and timeline known for Magnum's service. According to Commander Mike Walsh, tours for SEALs in Vietnam were six months long. So Magnum would have served a total of 18 months in Vietnam between his Annapolis graduation in 1967 (or '68?) and the US withdrawal in 1973. Plenty of time to complete BUD/S training, the three tours, and still have some stateside down time between tours.

The special team thing with Rick, TC, and the Frenchmen could work too, even though the others weren't SEALs. Many SEALs (and other special operators) were sometimes detached from their units and served in special assignments under the operational control of MACVSOG, the PRUs, Phoenix Program, etc.

As to Magnum being a SEAL in Vietnam and a Naval Intelligence officer later: special operations in any branch of service is voluntary and a member can opt out at any time. So it's not the same as if Magnum were a nuclear officer first and then wanted to quit and become an intelligence officer.

So the storyline works.

I found the info from Commander Walsh here: http://www.historynet.com/interview-wit ... am-war.htm
Last edited by KRJ on Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

KRJ
Ensign

#9 Post by KRJ »

J.J. Walters wrote:
In any event, after the War he went into Naval intelligence ("NIA") for 4 or 5 years and then resigned in 1979 with the surprising rank of only Lieutenant.
Magnum's rank of lieutenant works pretty well for the known timeline too when you remember that lieutenant in the Navy is an O-3, the same as captian in the other services. It took General Petraeus eleven years to make major (O-4). Isn't that about how long Magnum was supposed to have been in the Navy?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Welcome KRJ! And thanks for the info regarding the SEALs and Magnum's timeline. It's good to hear somebody else confirm that his timeline does indeed work!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#11 Post by Kifaru »

Magnum has both the Surface Warfare and Special Warfare (UDT/SEAL) Insignia, which is entirely plausible in real life. VN-era SEAL and MoH recipient Lt. Michael Thornton has the same qualifications.

Initially the SEALs were volunteer only, but as the war mounted many UDT frogmen were transferred to SEAL teams. There wasn't any standardized program for SEAL training during the war and SEALs would go to various schools hosted primarily by Army Special Forces and Marine Recon. Training typically lasted about one year before deployment.

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Kifaru »

Sort of off-topic, but I'll be damned if the SEAL on the right isn't the spitting image of Magnum.

Edit:

I just started reading The Element of Surprise by Darryl Young, the man on the left of the above photo. A member of his SEAL platoon (Julliet Platoon, ST-1, 1970) is a J.G. Quincannon, quite the coincidence I must say. :o